Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMasterZen
Stranger
newb qeustion(jars are colonizing)
    #3973336 - 03/26/05 05:19 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

ok well im thinking of doing a few casing in a aqaurium with perlite humidification.im wondering how deep a layer of substrate is neccecary in a casing and if an inch of verm would be too much for a casing that was around 2 inches deep.have people expereinced allot of contams with casing? and ive heard a chamber with multiple casings like im planning needs to be fanned several times a day to prevent gas build up.what do i need to do to give gas exchange, do i just lift the lid for a few minutes, should i mount an out take or intake pc fan on the lid to suck out the gas maybe? im a newb an i expect my pint jars will be completely finsished colonizing in 1 week or two. thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: newb qeustion(jars are colonizing) [Re: MasterZen]
    #3973424 - 03/26/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

im wondering how deep a layer of substrate is neccecary in a casing

I would not use any less than 2 inches.

Quote:

an inch of verm would be too much for a casing that was around 2 inches deep.

Yes, it would. A good rule of thumb is to make the casing 1/4 the depth of the substrate; a two inch substrate would get no more than 1/2 inch of casing. Also, straight verm is not so great a casing; I'd recommend adding some coir or peat.

Quote:

have people expereinced allot of contams with casing?

What do you consider a lot? When done properly, a casing has no greater risk of contam than a PF cake.

Quote:

multiple casings like im planning needs to be fanned several times a day to prevent gas build up.what do i need to do to give gas exchange, do i just lift the lid for a few minutes, should i mount an out take or intake pc fan on the lid to suck out the gas maybe?

You can lift the lid and use a piece of cardboard or something similar to fan or you can mount electric fans like you suggested - it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. I recommend you do a search for the PMP (Poor Man's Pod). It's simple to build and effective.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineMasterZen
Stranger
Re: newb qeustion(jars are colonizing) [Re: dog]
    #3973565 - 03/26/05 06:23 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

thanks man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate