Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepainloc21
Dumb Ass
Shroom Tea: What went wrong?
    #3973184 - 03/26/05 06:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

afoaf has been growing some eq's on straw and manure for the last couple of months. These eq's have been going great and getting big. Several of my friends friends have eaten these mushies and had wonderfull trips. So i decided it was my cats turn to try some. Last time ( About 3 months ago) my cat felt real sick to his stomach after eating his shrooms. He had a great trip but just felt sick all night as well. So following the advice of several fine members of the shroomery my cat decided to make some tea. He used a lipton ice tea bottle from the store and put 3 grams of dried mushies in it. He then boiled some water with lemon juice and peppermint tea. After letting the tea seep and the water cool down for 5 min he poured the tea over the mushies and into the bottle. He then put in a couple squirts of liquid sweetner, put the cap on the bottle and shook it all up. He let this sit on the counter for another 5 min the put in the fridge. The shroom tea sat in the fridge for about 4 hours to get cold. After the 4 hours my cat drank the tea (and he says it was damn good too!) and waited. After 35 of nothing he became concerned so he boiled more water and tea and poured it over the shrooms at the bottom of the bottle. Swished the tea and shrooms around, waited ten min and drank hot. After 20 min he got a slight body high that lasted maby an hour. Frustrated my cat called his foaf and asked him to bring some more over. My cat then ate 3 grams dry. Tripped balls and dident even get sick. Sorry for the long post but can anyone tell my cat what went wrong with the tea? It would be much appriciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Shroom Tea: What went wrong? [Re: painloc21]
    #3973236 - 03/26/05 06:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It could have been that you used dried instead of fresh but that shouldn't have really made a difference. It's possible that some of the stuff you added to the tea weakened the tea. How much water did you...er...your cat, use? How long before this did you eat?

Offlinepainloc21
Dumb Ass
Re: Shroom Tea: What went wrong? [Re: discoabe] * 1
    #3973249 - 03/26/05 06:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My cat used enough water to fill up the bottle a little over 2/3rds so about 10 oz water. He ate a small meal about 2 hours before he drank the tea.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3973266 - 03/26/05 06:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, here's the problem, although, it looks like it should've worked anyway.

If you wish to use pre made lipton tea... GRIND YOUR SHROOMS and stir 'em in. This way, you drink the SHROOM and the TEA. It'll be gritty but it WILL work. Using WHOLE shrooms with pre made tea, then adding boiling water? I'm afraid it didn't get hot enough. Lemon juice, also helps with the extraction.

If you wish to make your OWN tea, boil water, then turn it off, ADD YOUR WHOLE SHROOMS, some lemon juice (1 spoon... spoon sized :wink: ), and your tea bags. Let it steep until it is cool enough to drink, or refrigerate until cold. This way, the good stuff will be extracted into the tea... but you can still eat the soggy shroomy mess later if you wish, to insure full potency.

I'm afraid you underheated your shrooms the first time, then you reheated them, but there wasn't enough magic left to push you over the edge.

It seems you confused two different tea teks. Your way would have worked to begin with if you ground your shrooms into powder... or if you had actually heated the tea properly.

Don't give up on tea. Once you learn how to do it, it is MUCH easier on the stomach.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinepainloc21
Dumb Ass
Re: Shroom Tea: What went wrong? [Re: Rose]
    #3973283 - 03/26/05 06:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cervantes,

Thank you for the reply. I must have explained wrong. My cat did not use the premade stuff in the bottle. He drank that then put the whole dried shrooms in the bottle then poured the tea that he made in a pot on the stove over the shrooms and put the lid on. He did not put the shrooms in the pot with the boiling water when he was boiling the water and lemon juice. Could that be what went wrong? He was afraid of boiling the shrooms so he boiled the water, lemon juice and peppermint tea first. Let it cool down a little then poured that over the whole shrooms in the empty lipton bottle.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3973303 - 03/26/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I'm afraid your water was too cool, and therefore, you may have left a lot of goodness in the shrooms at the bottom of your bottle. So, if you didn't eat the shrooms too (they were still potent), you may have stunted your tea experience.

Yes heat reduces potency a bit, but it also extracts.

I have often put my shrooms in at the time I stop the flame on the stove. A couple times, I boiled the shrooms for a few minutes. Potency loss was minimal... and full extraction was achieved. Too much heat for too long, and yes you will notice potency loss. But if you achieve a full extraction, potency loss is mostly negated.

When it comes to tea, too hot is better than too cool, if you do not wish to eat the soggy shroom mess.

200-150... or so degrees... for 10-15 minutes is what you want. A little lemon goes a long way too!

If you do it right, the trip will be as intense as if you ate the shrooms (a little more intense IME), but you will come up and come down quicker. Not the MOST potent way to injest shrooms (grind 'em and put 'em in oj;) ) but very close. EZ on the stomach too.

So, what do you think went wrong?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinepainloc21
Dumb Ass
    #3973528 - 03/26/05 08:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think you are right. Cause my cat barely boiled the water at all then let it sit for awhile before he poured it over the shrooms. so it was probably way too cool.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3973568 - 03/26/05 08:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Heh,

Well, now you know better. Don't be afraid to try again.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showfla...e5b050fdf642a11
That's a link to my friend, Don Quixote's Mint Tea Tek (It cures what ales you).

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
    #3975244 - 03/27/05 07:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Boil the hell out of them for 20 minutes. Heat from boiling will not decrease potency like a lot of people here keep trying to push.

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Shroom Tea: What went wrong? [Re: MasonsChild]
    #3975777 - 03/27/05 12:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

whether you're using pre-made tea or boiling up a fresh pot, I'd recommend smashing and grinding up your mushrooms as much as possible.

seems like a waste to pour hot water over whole dried shrooms and drink the result, but leave the shrooms at the bottom.

thats like trying to make cannabutter by simmering whole buds in butter. you're not gonna get all the good stuff thats still trapped on the inside!!

bottom line is: the more you increase the surface area (smashing ur shrooms into tiny bits) the quicker and more complete the extraction into the tea water will be.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Shroom Tea: What went wrong? [Re: MasonsChild]
    #3976092 - 03/27/05 03:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MasonsChild said:
Boil the hell out of them for 20 minutes. Heat from boiling will not decrease potency like a lot of people here keep trying to push.

I agree it won't decrease potency as much as some pople believe but, there is NO reason to boil the shrooms for 20 minutes as they will lose SOME potency... they will.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience