Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomySam
Stranger
Ego-loss/death? Huh?
    #3969258 - 03/25/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Could somone please and exlain to me, as thorough as they can, what ego loss is? It sounds very scary to me, almost like loosing who you are and your personality?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: ShroomySam]
    #3969470 - 03/25/05 04:01 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

that's exactly what it is.

your ego is what you percieve as yourself, that is distinct from the rest of the world and other people's 'selves'.

ego loss is the loss of perception of yourself as something distinct and separate - you become the same as everything else or in some cases cease to exist (this could be interpreted as death).

i've had two experiences of complete ego loss. the first was on acid, where i felt like i melted into the bed i was laying on and became the same thing as the bed, and everything else. me, my girlfriend who i was tripping with, the room, the universe etc - it was all the same. the second time was on salvia where i felt that i was going to die, and then i just blacked out. i had no perception of anything. these certainly weren't negative experiences. the only word i would use to describe them is amazing.

your ego does return after the trip, although you may be left with the feeling that your ego isn't as important as you thought before. this is a positive thing IMO.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3969641 - 03/25/05 04:59 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

For me, it was like losing myself and finding myself at the exact same time, over and over again.  I didn't exist between the times that I was losing and finding myself because there was no pause between the losing and finding...they were one and the same.  It was happening all at the same time. 

If this sounds confusing, it is!  Another way I think of it is existing nowhere and everywhere at the exact same time.  Infinite paradoxes are experienced. 

Hard to explain but awesome to experience.    :mushroom2:

Offlinemyleftnut
Stranger
    #3970564 - 03/25/05 09:53 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Hi i'm new. I used to be big into acid and i didn't think ego loss was possible with it. I was a regular 10hitter++ and never experienced any kind of ego loss. I've felt like i was one with whatever i was touching but cant comprehend what the feeling of ego loss is. i'm planning to start a grow soon so i can reconnect with hallucinogens and my ancestors through mushrooms but now all this ego loss stuff is freaking me out. i'd appreciate more input for this guys question.
thanks

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: myleftnut]
    #3970596 - 03/25/05 09:58 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

It's definitely possible off LSD...I've gotten it off acid a lot.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3970634 - 03/25/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Here's a book on ego loss. At least read the intro and the first chapter or two... if you haven't. It should put your mind at ease. Don't worry, after ego loss, the ego comes back!

The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary
A MUST READ! This link is gold, Timothy Leary's Psychedelic Experience ONLINE!!! Tim Leary was the guru of LSD, and he wrote many books. The Psychedelic Experience is the handbook for many trippers around the world.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinemyleftnut
Stranger
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: Rose]
    #3970779 - 03/25/05 10:39 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks for the book suggestion, Cervantes. It was enlightening to say the least. My only concern would be equating ego loss with my death but since i have always had such a positive vibe with lsd i'm sure the sacred mushrooms of my ancestors wont be a prob.
thanks

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: Rose]
    #3970788 - 03/25/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

I had something truly amazing happen to me on X. My friends did a "California dream" to me, then for a while there was nothing, no thought, no feeling, no me, no anything. Then the most truly amazing thing that I have ever experienced happened. Suddenly I was recreated, I moved from nothingness, to everything. I stood up grasping for words(literally) trying to put this feeling/experience into words, I said "it feels... It feels like???..."

Then 2 of my friends described it perfectly, nothing has ever made as much sense as what they said.

"It Feels Like Being Born"

Ego Loss, maybe, maybe not, but I feel reborn, My life restarted monday night, everything that happened before seems insignifigant, I met god, I have experienced true happiness/bliss. Awesome.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Offlinegma
contentlyenlightened
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: shroommachine]
    #3970826 - 03/25/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Ive reached a level of intertwining with everything around me, not as intense as a "second birth" but i defienetley wasnt a human sitting on a couch... it was just, different. Youll know when you get there.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: myleftnut]
    #3970931 - 03/25/05 11:17 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

It is like death.....but it's a beautiful thing, just don't fight it. If you fight it, it will be very difficult, and very frightening, but once you're there, there is no fear, no life, no you...just awareness, and love...plus the clearlight. It is beyond all description. You seem afraid of death, after such an experience your fear will probably be gone.

--------------------

OfflineShroomySam
Stranger
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3972163 - 03/26/05 11:17 AM (19 years, 6 days ago)

I do understand much better now, and actually realize some of what you guys have explained actually happened to me a week ago.

I was just lying in bed, in the complete dark, eyes closed. I was terrifed because I thought I was either going to die or get caught by my parents, have to be sent to the hospital, and my life would basically be ruined either way. It was like all existance was nothing but the cold black blanke-ness of my closed eyes. Then I finally calmed down, and put myself back together. I opened my eyes and taught myself to see again. I realized that I was going to be OK. Everything that had bothered me earlier this year, all my silly little concerns and insecurites, were disolved. I was just happy to be.

For the next few hours I just walked around my house, thinking of how great everything is, and naming everything that I loved, which turned out to be ALOT.

Wow. I just now realized how truly amazing that scary night was.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#3972180 - 03/26/05 11:25 AM (19 years, 6 days ago)

heh, classic psychedelic afterglow :smile:

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: alsey]
    #3973034 - 03/26/05 03:44 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

It seems ego loss is not that hard to reach. An eighth or less can make you forget who you are. But an Ego death is quite another thing, IMO. An Ego death is exactly that, complete and utter destruction of all those things that they call you. To tell the truth it is more like waking up and realizing you are creating everything, shhh, don't let everyone in on it. While on one hand, it is the most amazing and best dream you could ever hope for, a world entirely composed of you. But then again, a world where you are your own best friend? Oh man, things get boring quick. These are two ways to look at, but you take it as it is. Let it be.

There is no way to understand the concept that everything is one. That everything in this amazing universe is in UNITY. The only way to know is to have had what some call "gratuitous grace." When you have had the experience all the writings of our world will open up with new signifigance. It is paradox, but it is the greatest story ever told...

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: mecreateme]
    #3974317 - 03/26/05 09:36 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

to me the ego-loss/death is to see how mortal that my physical body is. its like connecting to a greater conciousness, and that my physical body is not so important. that no matter what happens to me that socieoty will push on. its not a bad thing, its not a good thing. i wouldnt describe it as "fun" and i think that anyone would would describe psychedelic drugs as fun has never truely done them. try it some time, its not where the final product that is so beautiful. its the journy. have FUN on your trip =)

--------------------

Offlineefrog
Ecstatic,Electric,Eclectic
Female User Gallery

Loc: Near the River...
Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: MOTH]
    #3975238 - 03/27/05 05:14 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
For me, it was like losing myself and finding myself at the exact same time, over and over again.  I didn't exist between the times that I was losing and finding myself because there was no pause between the losing and finding...they were one and the same.  It was happening all at the same time. 

If this sounds confusing, it is!  Another way I think of it is existing nowhere and everywhere at the exact same time.  Infinite paradoxes are experienced. 

Hard to explain but awesome to experience.    :mushroom2:

^^^ Exactly.  It's like you realize that you're part of everything/everyone/every time and ALLLL of everything else, everyone else and every time else is part of you.

It's all connected, and turns in and out on itself in a way which makes TOTAL sense. It alllll makes perfect sense and it's all connected and our ego is just the mask we wear so that we can deal with the Truth...or hide from it.

Sometimes, it's GOOD to shed that for ahwhile, so you can see that it's just so much BIGGER than YOU, but at the same time, it IS you and you're it.

Think: Fractal.

It's like looking at a fractal and how it is infinite.

Hard to explain...doesn't stop us from trying though...

I think every music, every art, everything we do, is just another way to try and express what we know to be true inside. Mushrooms give us a few hours to have a look and remember again what we all already know somewhere deep inside ourselves.

:smile:
~Kimberly

--------------------
This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map.

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: efrog]
    #3976093 - 03/27/05 01:30 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I think there are many different levels of it. Just from smoking pot enough and being a fairly regular user, you can experience a bit of ego loss. After awhile youll care a bit less about yourself and a bit more about everyone else. Which, in my opinion, is completely the opposite of bad(so...good).

Granted, that pales in comparison to when you are full on tripping. The moment of enlightenment when you understand how insignificant you are and how wonderful just being alive is, and that you are indeed lucky to be there is like nothing else.

Its actually so amazing that I cant even comprehend it with my sober mind. Everytime I reach it, I understand how wrong I truly am. You can only know it when youve reached it. A description cannot even come close to half describing it.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Ego-loss/death? Huh? [Re: Veter]
    #3976214 - 03/27/05 02:07 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

People will often complain of the fact that we are all so damn insignificant, but on Earth we can experience so much!  Even though in the big picture of the universe, our experiences of Love, hate, happiness, sadness are not so important, atleast they CAN be to you and me, simply becayse they exist.  We, as humans, have the ability to acknoledge our existance and come close to the truth!  We have the gift to live, experience emotions, to think, to IMAGINE and to CREATE THINGS.  It is just so crazy to think that this level of existance is in play!  All these games people play, all these illusions we are all so lost in, are all creations of ourselves, no other beings forced us to live these ways (except for the shoomheads here!  :laugh: :heart:).  The fact that we can be our own creators and have these creations be so real here on earth, as humans, is quite fuckin amazing.

Appreciate that you have the ability to do so much, even though we are so little. 

I say fuck the motherfuckers on top that are ruining this world because they can't comprehend that there are billions of other people on this world with a conscience, with dreams, goals, lovers, and family.  And all the other animals that we share this planet with, for all we know, their own dreams and goals are what define their way of living, and to through that out the window is just as mean.

Love life, take it for what it is, life to have fun try not to sTrEsSsS.  One day, you might not wake up and never see the people you once loved ever again, and for all of us that have experience ego-loss/death, we know how brutal of a lesson that can be.  Embrace your life, because it is all you have for now. 

Life is an amazing thing, living is what can be a bitch.

If you can see, smell, taste, hear, and touch.... appreciate it.  :thumbup: :heart: :sun:

Edited by Ginseng1 (03/27/05 02:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies