Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenolank
Stranger
honeywater tek Q's
    #3970161 - 03/25/05 10:05 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

I just discovered the honeywater tek and its really exciting and seemingly simple i dont understand why everybody doesnt inoculate their jars with honeywater instead of spore solution, seeing as how it speeds colonization dramatically i hear. My question is can i boil the jar to sterilize or is it absolutely necessary to pressure cook it (i dont have a PC). After sterilization, how do i penetrate the siliicon glue covering one of the holes to inject 1cc of spore solution into the jars. After injecting some spore solution, do i glue back the hole and leave the band-aid or tyvek on the other hole (gas exchange hole) or should i remove the band aid to allow for optimum gas exchange? After a cottony myc ball starts growing in the solution, how do i know when it is finished growning and when to stop incubating it at 84 degrees. After finished should i store in the refrigerator with a little H202 and how long with it stay good in the fridge. Also, will it last longer stored in the jar, or stored in several syringes? Last, im assuming you cant make honeywater with more honeywater, but do you have to use more spore solution or can you use mycelium from a cake or from a fruit? Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: nolank]
    #3970199 - 03/25/05 10:12 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

you need a PC for sterilizing liquid culture. Anything less - is a waste of time - imho

--------------------

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: agar]
    #3970439 - 03/25/05 11:15 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

BLah pc pc blah blah

There are plenty of ppl on here that swear by microwaved Karo. It's worked for me before.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3971140 - 03/26/05 02:17 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

because its not really worth the time at least for me, plus contams just one more step that is not needed. For some reason when I tried it, it didn't work to well not to sure why.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #3971233 - 03/26/05 02:51 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

I would recommend PCing it as well. I would imagine you could sterilize in the microwave as well. Worth a shot. Just bring it to a boil on the stove, boil for 10 min, strain the carmelized gunk out, put in a jar (no lid), microwave for 10 min, put a sterile lid on it.

Glue the hole back.

If it has started growing, you can use the jar. Just get some myc in the syringe.

You can use the honeywater to innoc more honeywater.

I would imagine syringes or vacuatainers would be best. Keeps it divided up in case of contams.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3971244 - 03/26/05 02:56 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Microwave semi/sterilization has worked for me - before, too. It just does not work consistantly.

Moreover, household microwave ovens range from 500 watt, to around 1200 watt - in power. Consiquently, yours may work for you, another may not for someone else. Just like one kid jumps off a roof & doesnt break his leg. Then, the next kid jumps off another roof & does break his leg.

If microwaves were 100% effective, hospitals, laboratories and others places that sterilize things everyday - would use them. They don't.

Also, if microwaves were an effective means to sterilize things. There would be an effective microwave food canning process. There isn't. Both those examples tell me, they are not that effective means of sterilization

THIS IS A FACT ON EARTH. No living thing can survive direct exposure to pressurized saturated steam at 250 F (120 C) longer than 15 minutes. A pressure cooker, or autoclave creates & maintains that condition, consistantly.

The object in this type cultivation is consistant minimal contamination. Microwave semi-sterilization is not consistant. Which leads to higher rates of contamination. Investing a lot of effort, time, labour, materials & hope in something - that works sometimes & sometimes not, isn't a way I would go.

But, whatever works for you - does :thumbup:. I cannot argue with that. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: agar]
    #3971254 - 03/26/05 02:59 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

you guys went and got good ol' agar fussy and he had to bring out the neverending knowledge he has. but ive had 100% success doing it my way with boiling water.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: honeywater tek Q's [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3971292 - 03/26/05 03:13 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

LOL.... I'm not "knocking" it. Go with what you have & works for you.

I have made literally gallons of liquid culture. I sterilize it - in a PC. That works for me.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation