Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenolank
Stranger
TiT incubator question
    #3969855 - 03/25/05 08:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have two 18 gallon solid green bins im going to use as my incubator with 50watt submersible fish tank heater. Ive read magashs great incubator tek. Im still not quite sure how much water to put it the bottom tub. If there is more water being heated will that automatically bring the temp in the second tub higher? As far as temp gauge goes im going to use one of those stick on aquarium or reptile thermometers. Will these be accurate enough? Also, do i need to put holes in both of the containers for gas exchange or why do i need holes in the tubs. I might be out of the house at work most of the day, is there really no way for the TiT to be a fire hazard so long as the heater stays submerged with the suction cups and doesnt melt the top tub? Id like to use the TiT to heat my fruiting chamber also but i really dont want to have to buy another fully transparent tub to fit underneath my fruiting chamber, so what are some of your suggestions for heating my terrarium. Im thinking of putting my heater in a glass bottle filled with water and use that as a heat bomb. would a heat bomb idea work with a non-submersible heater (which are a lot cheaper) too? thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TiT incubator question [Re: nolank]
    #3969889 - 03/25/05 08:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You want enough water to cover the heater, and then some. The higher volume of water you use in a TiT, the easier it is to get your desired temperature. These things are designed to heat a minimum of 10 gallons (around there) and most of us don't use half that in a TiT. If you have a low volume of water and the thermostat kicks on to heat it's surroundings, it is going to heat that water in a quick pre-set burst before it can register the new temperature and shut off again, resulting in higher-than-desired temp. In short, you want more water than less if you can help it.

They are safe to run 24/7. Also, you can drill a hole at the bottom to install your heater, and use some silicone to waterproof the hole. Much easier adjustments when you don't have to remove the tubs and dial in a new temp.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #3969909 - 03/25/05 08:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My submersible heaters were less than half the cost of the non-sub ones where I bought mine.

First, find 4 things (wide mouth half pints are perfect) that you can put in the bottom tub as spacers (just in case you push down or sit something on it) to keep it from touching the heater. Put them on the 4 corners. Next put in water to the top of them (not higher yet). Put the heater in the middle and suction cup it down.

Now make holes in the 4 corners of the top rim of both tubs. Small nail is big enough. Either use zip ties, fishing line (really strong or braid some), or wire (speaker wire is fine). Put the top tub into the bottom tub and rest on the spacers. Tie it down on the 4 corners. Make sure you tie it pretty tight. If using fishing line, you will want to double up the line or braid it. My TiT ripped 30lb mono line tied in 6 places.

Once it is tied, use a funnel or something that can pour into the side between the top and bottom tub. Fill it almost to the top. If your handles have holes on them, don't let it fill above the bottom tub handles.

Then you are done.

I am not sure if a 50w will be enough to get it to 84 though. I have a 200w in mine and it is set on the second ot last notch. If using yoru 50w, I would put it on high.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: TiT incubator question [Re: Smushroom]
    #3969925 - 03/25/05 08:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, if you can drill a hole and put the dial outside, do it. I will be modding mine after this round of jars.

Offlinescrname
Stranger

#3969957 - 03/25/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ya i agree with smushroom, i had a 50 watt it did not work very well so i ended up getting a 200 watt one and it works very well. Also you do not need air holes in the tub for incubation.

Offlinenolank
Stranger
Re: TiT incubator question [Re: scrname]
    #3970263 - 03/25/05 10:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I thought 50w might me a little weak, i guess im just being a little cheap. All of the pet stores where i live are selling submersible heaters 50w for like $25 which is more than i thought it would cost. they had some for 16.99 but it was a six inch version which had to be calibrated alonside a thermometer to insure accurate temperature. the nicer one was i think a marineland brand (100w was like 26.99). they also carry tronic brand heaters which are supposed to be very nice but they are 32.99. anyone know where to buy a reasonable one online? also should i be putting my thermometer inside the tub with the water or in the tub with the jars.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #3970482 - 03/25/05 11:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did you read my instructions? In with the water.

It all depends on the temp of the room you are using. If you keep the temp of the room over 70 degrees it may be ok. You can do things to make it work though, wihtout buying a new heater. Put a couple layers of blankets or towels underneath the bottom tub. This will insulate it from the colder floor. You can also put large blankets or a sleeping bag over top of the entire incubator to hold heat in. If you did this, you could keep the temp up I think. Make sure to get the temp right before you do your jars, so you can correct it first.

BTW, submersible 200w heaters are $14.99 normally here. I bought 3 of mine on sale for $11.99. If you wanted to return yours I could get you one and we could work something out.

Offlinenolank
Stranger
    #3972031 - 03/26/05 12:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I never actually bought the heater, ive been shopping around town but i actually never bought one yet. id definitely like to get one from you. that would be great.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation