Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehooperdooper3
Stranger
Incubator question
    #3967298 - 03/25/05 01:45 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've looked around and heres the deal. I want a small, dry incubator. I'm going to use a heat bomb and imagined constructing an insulated box. My question is this: Do I need to by cycling air at this point? If so, with a air pump? Am I correct to think that the incubator doesn't need light at this point?

Once they are ready I am going to transfer them to a pmp.

I want to build a compact and stylish incubator, but style is nothing if its not functional right? So help me avoid making dumb mistakes. Basically I don't want to leave anything out with my box. Thanks guys!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubator question [Re: hooperdooper3]
    #3967313 - 03/25/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

No you don't need to be cycling air, and yes, you are correct. Colonize in total darkness. Good Luck.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
    #3967349 - 03/25/05 01:59 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Some would say air exchange is needed during incubation. Then again some would say otherwise.
Air exchange during this stage...no! Gas exchange....yes!
Every now-and-then, I always seem to be posting this...(need to get some kind of pat. on this....lol)...anyway, you can try your hand at one of these if you feel comfortable at using some minor hand tools.
It's a glovebox/incubator. Works better then I thought it would when I started to put it down on paper.
To many to mention now, but I've done many casings, jars, zip-lock bags(left wide open mind you) in this, without a flall!
Many folks in here can testify(sp?) to this. However it's not on the popular demand list as the PMP. No idea why...but to each there own! I guess i'm not famouse enough....lol.
It's heated by a heating mat which is underneth...outside. The mat I use for heating is ment for cloning cuttings. So it stays within optimal temp. range...82-86f.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about air exchange at this stage, unless you plan on incubating in some sort of shoe-box.
Good Luck!

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Offlinehooperdooper3
Stranger
Re: Incubator question [Re: kiss]
    #3967393 - 03/25/05 02:11 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for being ignorant, but what is the point of having a glove box? I was thinking of just having something like a styrofoam box (fitted with plexi) with the heat bomb in the middle. The stuff is already in jars right? Could I actually contaminate the things by opening the box? Also, I probably wouldn't really have to open the thing until they were ready to go anyway right? Maybe I'm missing some major ideas yet.

Offlinedfslkfsd
Pot head

#3968083 - 03/25/05 11:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

For me heat bombs didnt work worth a shit I even put it in a glass jar to see if it would work better than plastic but it never got past 73F. so now I just use a heating pad it doesnt spread the heat very evenly but it stays at 80-85F and it gets the job done. :mushroom2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation