Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: zhukov]
    #400910 - 09/22/01 02:49 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

While on the subject of deadly sea life in Australia, I'd like to add my 2 cents(anything in the water tends to be my area of semi-expertise) :P

While the blue ring octopus is probaly a very rare occurance on the reef, if you are bitten you will most likely die with in 10-20 minutes if you are not put on a respirator. Their neurotoxin stops the lungs.

Another creature not mentioned(and prolly not know about) is the cone shell. The Cone Shell is a little shell, similar to a conch, but they have a little harpoon that they can stick into a predator and they also have a very potent/deadly neurotoxin.

Last but not least are the box jellyfish, its diffrent from the sea wasps. They form schools in the thousands, and they are by far the most toxic jellyfish in the world. When stung they leave insane looking burn marks on the flesh, if you were to end up in a school of them... you'd be better off dead.

Thats it for venomus things of the sea, there are a number of things that can take limbs off or kill you if injested(pufferfish), but I'm done for now.

Peace out,
-Gumby

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Gumby]
    #401095 - 09/22/01 08:03 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Whats the sea wasp? i thought that was one of the names aborigines called the box jelly

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: missulena]
    #401192 - 09/22/01 09:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ive found deadly Land Sharks and Sea Elephants to be the nastiest monsters

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #401226 - 09/22/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Up north Queensland the farmers at the cattle stations call the fierce snake the two step snake because apparently if u are to be bitten by it u take 2 steps before you are on the ground dying, I dont know about two steps but Im sure htis bastard is quite rare cause u never hear of deaths comming from that snake.
I was told this at a Tamworth Snake Show and the guy handling the snakes suggests that the Eastern Brown and Tiger snakes are two most agressive. He demonstrated by putting Australias most deadly snakes into the compound with him, as soon as the Eastern Brown came out of the bag it was darting around the cage coiling and striking at people who were behind the perspex, it had to be put away becasue it was going crazy, while that was going on all the rest of the snakes were tame and still.
The only snakes I have seen in Sydney is when dad and I went bow hunting in the norhtern forrests, we came across Tigers mainly and a few black snakes, all were calm and caused no harm.

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #401327 - 09/23/01 12:42 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

In queensland you only get the fierce snakeout west i doubt many farmers have ever even heard of it, alot of farmers talk crap no-ones ever died from a fierce snake bite although a few reptile keepers have come close a man named rob bredl caught one when he was around 50 or 60 years old it bit him fair and square on the chest and he was in the middle of nowhere but he survived, I dont think anyone who doesnt study snakes has ever been bitten before.
That mad brownsnake that went crazy is obviously the highlight of that snake mans act so he obviously wouldnt want it to calm down but it would be possible I have seen tame ones before

When ever a farmer tells you something about snakes even if he swears by it always get a second opinion

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
    #402123 - 09/23/01 09:51 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ive seen tame browns aswell, the reason it was going psyco was because all these little kids were banging on the enclosure, I was tripping at the time on my Copelandia Cyanecenes that I had found up at Byron bay the day before and I watched the guy talk for ages, it was so cool feeling the pythons scales while shrooming.

InvisibleOZtripper
Stranger
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #402351 - 09/24/01 06:22 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

REad bellies ROCK the nation to bad we near well killed them off........

they are the only snake/slash animal known to be immune to all snake venom.... [correct me if im wrong]
they are actually the only snake species that actually EATS other snakes the brown the king brown tiger..... etc etc all the bad ones..... and because they were most common and there was little known of them they started to be killed off and now numbers are only just starting to come back because it has dawnedon us what we were doing....

My dad use to catch funnel webs up in sydney for pocket money whe he was a kid... they use to pay you like 2 shillings per male and 1 shilling every 3 females... because they milked them for antivenom reasons.....

what you wann be careful of when shroom hunting and this has to do with what time of year you do it and where .. is SWOOPING FUCKING MAGPIES...... those mother fukkers hurt when they rip into your head......

CARRY A STICK a VERY BIG STICK and im not talk bud.... im talk WOOD!!

i LOVE YOU ALL IN SPECIAL WAYS

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #402656 - 09/24/01 02:34 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>Whats the sea wasp?

It's just another jellyfish. I believe its similar to the portuguese man-o-war. It can pack a nasty punch but it's rarely deadly.

Peace out,
-Gumby

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: OZtripper]
    #403279 - 09/25/01 02:04 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

"(correct me if im wrong)" your not that wrong
The king cobra is the most famous cannabalistic or ophiophagus(snake eating)snake its latin name is actually ohiophagus hannah or something like that.
inAustralia there is many examples of ophiophagy in the elapidae family(front fanged venomous snakes) including browns, bandy bandy, copperheads and the black snake family (pseudechis) red bellies are ophiophagus occasionaly but they prefer frogs but the mulga snake also from the black snake family are very fond of eating other snakes I think most are immune to the type of species they hunt and i have seen tigers bite themselves and survive.

There would be hundreds of examples in the snake family of ophiophagy but the diets of most species of snake is largely unknown

P.S Aspidetis is the only genus of pythons endemic to Australia and consists of two species of python the black headed python and the woma the black headed python is ophiophagus and i think the woma is too to some extent.

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: OZtripper]
    #404642 - 09/26/01 08:57 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

OZtripper, I can relate to your comment about those bloody magpies!
Ever remember the plastic-ice-cream-container-on-your-head thing which was supposed to blunt those dive-bombing beaks?!
Must admit the kids who did that looked pretty fucking stupid though, especially if their Mum drew a couple of 'scary' "eyes" on the top to try & scare them off! LOL  :tongue:

...sorry its not exactly 'on topic' ...

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Gumby]
    #405185 - 09/26/01 05:37 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

All king snakes eat other snakes.  There are lots of species of king snakes (king cobra, common king snake (california/oregon, scarlet king snake, etc.)  Usually king snakes eat venomous snakes if they are around without a problm.  Either because they are immune to the venom or because the venom doesnt harm them when eaten.

I was going to bring up the cone shells box jellies and blue ringed octopus actually.  I never heard about you having 10-20 minutes to live, as if this was the case Im sure it would be able to be classified as the most potent of all venom in all animals in the world.  As far as I know most things take a minimum of an hour on an adult.  But yeah it shuts down the nervous system, which means bbye to the lungs unless you get to a respirator in which case you will be fine as It doesnt destroy flesh and what not.

I do not know much about cone shells, but know of them and their harpoon. 

Now, I cannot beoieve anyone on this board who ells me what snake has the most potent venom (on humans) in the world.  I have read lots of different things on the internet, in books, and on tv.  Steve Irwin (Im not exactly a huge fan of his) says that the fierce snake has #1 most potent venom.  This doesnt mean it injects a lot.  He says that number two is the common brown snake.  And for #3 was like tiger snakes or something.

I am going to have to do a bunch more research now as you people have me wondering if anyone even knows what the hell they are talkiing about.

I wish I lived in australia so I could be able to see these animals in their natural habitat.

I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: pyromaniac]
    #405852 - 09/27/01 02:18 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Take it up with the experts pyro theve all agreed that the inland taipan Oxyranus microlepidotus has the most toxic venom of all snakes feel free to post another theory for entertainment purposes though

p.s there is many examples of people dying within 10 minutes from venomous creatures such as the coastal taipan and many others.

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #405885 - 09/27/01 03:43 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

you sound like you are highly intelligent probably a genius who is comfortable with his capabilities and doesnt have to prove them to anyone but could you please tell me what the king cobra and the king snakes have in common besides the word king in there common names and certain behavioural similarities

Edited by missulena on 09/27/01 05:27 AM.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom