Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrewinb
journeyman

Loc: straya as in OZ
AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE
    #396489 - 09/17/01 06:32 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

In response to the spider threads
I am more worried about snakes when I go hunting. I see many common brown snake. Guess you could say they are common. Walked into a few spiders webs but never have gotten done. Some times I will grab a stick to slash my way through thick webs. Some one may tell me otherwise but I think the first one is a golden orb. Well I know they have a tough golden web and get very big. Would not want to get bit by one but i have not heard of anyone who has. The other is a common huntsman spider. They are docile like some Mexican tarantulas but I think they get bigger. I get these in my house all the time. We hurd them out most of the time without any harm. He had seven legs when we saw him. We let them stay til they get this big or so.
I see redbacks in my garage quite often. Near the tap

happy hunting

tri angular bandage always in the bush for snakes. Mobile phone when you are alone.
The next bite may be your last.
Brewin

Cool Buzz, tasty waves

--------------------
Cool Buzz, tasty waves

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: brewinb]
    #396520 - 09/17/01 07:42 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Mmmmm....brown snakes don't sound too good, brewinb - they are also called 'false cobras' for their ability to recoil and sort-of spring towards their prey (or anyone who startles them; they are especially aggressive in Summer) - one about 7 ft long surprised my uncle in the country once - just as well he had a shotgun as it was right next to the door of the house, and it reared right back just before he shot it...but don't tell the NPWS!

On the topic of spiders, where are you roughly in Oz?
We get huntsmans & orbs/St Andrew's Cross spiders a lot, have been known to see a redback or two, but I grew up in the funnel-web capital of Australia.....ughhhh. My friend used to get lots of them all over the bottom of their pool in Summer - the air trapped by the big, black, hairy legs allows them to breathe underwater...for hours...
*shudder*
I've always been totally paranoid of them, as befits just about the most deadly spider there is!
But luckily there aren't many shroom fields in the middle of Sydney to encounter them!

Serge the Baby Harp Seal - Scourge of the FashionIndustry
'He's funny and he's furry and a Psy-cho-path!'

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: zhukov]
    #396527 - 09/17/01 07:55 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

mmm...Bloody Australian spiders suck balls!! Im scared shitless of those!!
When i was a kid, I used to go up into the hills to my Great Aunties farm - where we saw lotsa Red-bellied Black snakes, the occasional tiger and once a death adder...The Tigers are so aggressive...

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #396831 - 09/17/01 02:37 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Nice spider photos Beesly

gg

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
    #397046 - 09/17/01 07:32 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hehe sometimes when Im comming home late at night, blazed off my nut I walk into those stocky little bush spiders web adn I yell and dance around the street like a crazed homless man on fire, then I start stripping my elf of my jumpers

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #397081 - 09/17/01 08:04 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

dans le silence du poisson-lune
plilosophait au fond des brumnes

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #397083 - 09/17/01 08:06 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hahah! Doesnt that always suck - and you can never seem to find the spider!!

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Mitchnast]
    #397181 - 09/17/01 09:43 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Is that the deadly Sydney Funnel Web Spider, Mitch?

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Gumby]
    #397197 - 09/17/01 09:54 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

YEha thats the common SYdney Funnel web or Mouse spider (Female). Very deadly but hardly anyone gets bitten by them cause they live in pools and in gardens, the most common time u would be bitten is if u were gardening or playing with them like i use to do.
When I was a youngen I used to catch them and put them in jars with other opponents (Lizards,golden orb spiders,scorpions) and whatch them battle, the funnel web always won and left the opponents with two deadly slashes from their penetrating fangs.

Edited by aussishroomhead on 09/17/01 10:56 PM.

Offlinebrewinb
journeyman

#397313 - 09/18/01 01:01 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I make a hell of a lot of stomping when picking on those perfect snake days. I feel the stomping can be felt by them and it usually will drive them off before you see them or accidently corner one. It is true that the browns, taipans and tigers may pursue when threatend. in yuragir national park my wife and I came within three feet of a brown. very hot day. approx 39 c. 13:00 hours. It bolted like lightining. Luckily instead of lunging. We were 45 minute walk to the car then the next phone about fifteen minutes drive.
I live in southern Queensland.
Banana bender
I like the picture of the funnel web. scarry thingss i hear their range is greater than expected My wifes cat was battling a large spider. Right After the fight it ran away never to be seen again. the spider was mangled. they think it was a funnel web
have to go.
cubes and copes arrive soon in southern QLD. Better than Christmas
Brewin

Cool Buzz, tasty waves

--------------------
Cool Buzz, tasty waves

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #397342 - 09/18/01 02:33 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Snakes attack if you;

-Step on them
-Provoke them
-Come between you and their nest..in close proximity.

..other than that, i just instinctively "freeze" when i see a wild snake, and then slowly back away.

I like all these bug pics! :)

Hey brewin, you should be the chairmen of the Bug & Snake Dept., section of the shroomery mush. hunting guide.

Offlinebrewinb
journeyman

Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #397379 - 09/18/01 05:10 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks GG
That is the best thing to do. Scream all ya want but do not move.
Chairman of the bug and snake board hey? Sounds interesting.
Lets do luch(virtual)
P.S. the funnel spider/catfight occured in Canberra, not Queensland. To keep from being stereo typed, I will post photos of a huge cope next to a cubie. also a possible amanita. You decide
Cya
Brewin

Cool Buzz, tasty waves

--------------------
Cool Buzz, tasty waves

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#397404 - 09/18/01 06:52 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

it is the MALE funnel web spider that you shold fear more.

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
    #397876 - 09/18/01 09:55 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I wish I lived in australia just to see your peoples' wildlife.  I would love to see your array of deadly snakes and spiders.  They put our rattlers and recluses to shame. 

doesnt the sydney funnel web have the highest toxicity of all spiders we have found on this earth?  The common brown is #2 for snakes in highes toxicity, right, just after feirce snakes (also australian but rarely seen if I am correct in my thinking).

And the red-bellied black snakes.  Those are the ones being wiped out by cane toads arent they?  I think that if I ran into these creatures while hunting it would become a fight till the death for me to get my shrooms.  Even if I wasnt after a shroom I would likely go playing with the snakes, I dont have a lot of sense.

Of all your wildlife, I would most like to meet your crocs.  You lucky bastards get to live with all of these wonderful creatures and critters.  I wanna go to the australia zoo, that'd be fun.

I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

--------------------
Support the FSR!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #397988 - 09/19/01 12:00 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

GG: what nest? pit-vipers are all live-bearing snakes. i think perhaps you should apply that one to aligators and crocs :)

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: pyromaniac]
    #398010 - 09/19/01 01:09 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

There are lots more interesting and fatal creatures in my country as well, pyro! 
But I can think of a few more off the top of my head...

*banded sea-snakes (very deadly)

*stonefish (look like a spiky bit of rock sitting in the shallow rock pools or ocean bottom until you step on one & the venomous spikes go right through!)

*blue-ringed octopus (pretty deadly again - found in shallow rock pools; when disturbed will flash iridescent-neon blue rings on its skin to amuse inquisitive kids!)

*Sea wasps (trailing sometimes metres-long tentacles to wrap around you, and all the little filaments keep stinging the whole length all at once! Has been described as the most excruciating pain known; One guy I read about was so badly stung that even though he got to shore for medical attention very quickly within minutes & was immediately put into unconsciousness with IV morphine, he was still screaming!

*duck-billed platypus (Males have a nasty stinging spur on their hind legs for fighting - don't pick 'em up!)

...and these are just some which I remember learning about at school...come on other aussies,  there's got to be more! :wink:

No wonder our illustrious Govt has (at great expense) sent out videos to all foreign embassies showing in graphic, horrific detail (probably with the soundtrack to "Jaws" playing in the background!) the myriad of deadly wildlife which will in all probability track and hunt down any illegal asylum seekers daring to come to our shores!  LOL!  I read in the Sydney Morning Herald that these videos are highly prized as objects of great amusement by the diplomatic communities in US, UK and elsewhere for providing hours of drunken hilarity...:tongue:

Serge the Baby Harp Seal - Scourge of the FashionIndustry
'He's funny and he's furry and a Psy-cho-path!'

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: zhukov]
    #398066 - 09/19/01 07:13 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

How about the most venomous snake in the world - the good old aussie Taipan... Also we have like seven or something out of ten of the most poisonous snakes in the world...But its not like you encounter these every second day or anything - only about twice a week - you know, wake up in the morning and there's a death adder curled up on the foot of your bed, ready to strike with your next move...

--------------------

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #399714 - 09/21/01 02:46 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

No aussie snake attacks without good reason to, i caught hundreds of tigers and only been bitten once there body postures and strike is easy to predict and they move out of the way tigers are actually fairly slow in a mad panic i guess they appear quick to people who dont see them often, browns are very quick but give warning very toxic venom but fangs only a few millimetres long not as rigid body posture so it sort of flings the first foot of its body at you, Coastal taipans very nervous less predictable very alert long fangs potent neurotoxic venom sedentary fairly uncommon rarely seen often strikes repeatedly. inland taipan Oxyuranus microlepidotus (sp) very rare very docile potent venom deadliest snake in world. Red bellies a joke weak cytotoxic venom painful bite very clumsy strike within a day i have tamed a wild one. Spiders most deadly missulena occatoria or malle mouse spider on mice deadlier than funnel webs but similar type of venom

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: missulena]
    #400418 - 09/21/01 09:55 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I understand taipans to be the deadliest snakes in the world, but they don't have the most toxic venom do they?  I mean, once you get to the snakes with very toxic venom, it really doesnt matter who's is more toxic as they can all kill you (and will) without medical attention.

I have heard stories of taipans being aggressive snakes who will follow you, but I hae no personal experience in that so I dont know if it is true.

The best I have ever seen is a copperhead while intertubing down a  river in missouri.  It was such a beautifl snake that I wish I had a camera.  I was wthin only a few feet, and at any time it could have struck, but it didnt, it didnt even coil up in the classic "s" position or anything.  Generally that is dne as a defense if it feels trapped, but it was sitting on a branch in the middle of a river, and could have swam away at any moment.

The deadliest spiders I have seen are the tarantulas in my bedroom, and those aren't very dangerous, will make you sick, possible cause necrosis, but not much more.  I have a great passion for any animal, except for humans.  I feel that the whole purpouse humans are on this earth for is to cause the next extinction, and we will.  We are fucking this planet up so much that we are going to kill ourselves off.  A pretty clever move on mother natures part, really.  Every couple hundred million years we have a large extinction, it's natural.

Anyway, my dream has always been to move to australia to where I could walk int my backyard and find these animals.  I want to be able to find wild crocs, I want to catch a few large snakes, Im tired of catching the garter snakes
(red racers, yellow racer4s, etc.).

Support the FSR!

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: AUSSIE SPIDERS IN FIELD AND HOUSE [Re: pyromaniac]
    #400552 - 09/22/01 12:52 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

The coastal Taipan O.Scutelatus has the second most toxic venom on mice than any other snake from anywhere in the world and is not afraid to retaliate if disturbed but its the other Taipan O.microlepidotus that has the most toxic venom of any snake in the world by far but is fairly docile compared to the coastals

ld 50 means the amount of venom needed to kill 50% of the mice that its injected to in an average bite
specie ld50 in single dose
inland taipan 218000
coastal taipan 95000
common cobra 17000
tiger 15000
death adder 12000
king cobra 11000
king brown 5000
diamond back rattler 2700
brownsnake 4000
aussie copperhead 2500
red belly 700
but you have take into account amount of venom in a particular species bite, the king cobra would inject massive amounts of less toxic venom than the inland but would probably be just as likely to kill you.

Edited by missulena on 09/22/01 02:04 AM.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria