Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!!
    #3960661 - 03/23/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I just took a look at my Colonized straw cased with verm and Coir from sat and low and behold filled with contamination AGAIN!!! I don't know how the fuck to avoid this as I have wasted and wasted so much time over contamination.

Here are my questions, Can green mold or mold grow on wet verm alone???
IS coir a good home for Contams? (this is the first time I've tried coir)

I'm using colonized Rye (eq Strain) on Wheat Straw cased with Verm and Coir, are there substrates that get Contaminated easier than others? Whats a good substrate to use that is harder to get contamination?

Should I just leave the case open to air and let air get into my cases as my other method of covering up with plastic wrap obviously doesn't work; with or without breather holes.

I have a plastic tub filled with wet verm as my bag outside got rained on and all my verm is soaking wet, I put it in my house to try to dry some of it, it has been in the open air now for 1-2 week now, still wet and moist but I don't see a single bit of contamination, why doesn't this shit get contaminated while the stuff that I sterilize the hell out of get contaminated within a few days??

Please help me from pulling out my fuckin hair.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: nambi]
    #3963690 - 03/24/05 05:02 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I forgot to mention I Microwaved my casing mix to sterile, (verm and coir) for 10 min on high, ( i figured that would be long enough) the substrate when finished was too hot to touch. should this bedone in a PC instead?

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
    #3963868 - 03/24/05 07:13 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

i'm no pro, but my suggestions would be:

1. step up your spawn ratio - what is your normal ratio?
2. possibly less air exchange while your bulk sub is incubating/colonizing
3. i would PC the verm your using to be safe... if it's sat damp for 2 weeks chances are something is in the bag that won't be killed in the micro
4. are you sterilizing or pastuerizing your straw? how?
5. are you waiting a few days after full colonization of your spawn?
6. how large are your casings? maybe too big?

Offlinepsillyrabit
President

Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: SoK]
    #3963878 - 03/24/05 07:21 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Trich usually takes over after a while due to unstable ph, aside from being 110% sterile i would recommend doing a search on lime or whatever else it is people us to balance ph.

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: psillyrabit]
    #3964876 - 03/24/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I use roughly 1 pint jar of colonized rye to 1/2 grocery bag of pasteurized straw, ( I pasteurized the straw by cutting it up into sort 6-10 inch pieces put it in a pillow case, submerge it in a big pot of hot water and bake it for 2 hours at 180o) I then hang this pillow case in my bath tube to drain for 8-10 hours, when this is done I combine my colonized rye with the pasteurized straw roughly 30% rye to 70% straw in a plastic grocery bag compress it to hell and tie it up. After about 3 days I puncture the grocery bag with tons of tiny little pin holes for air exchange. Within 1 -2 weeks this straw is completely colonized with NO signs of contams.

I then take this colonized straw and case it in a lysoled plastic Tupperware about 10 inches by 6 inches 4 inches deep, then cover it with about 1 inch or Verm (in which I moisturize then microwave for 5- 10 min on high) (this time I did verm and coir) and put unwrap over the case, in a few days I add some breather holes and I place this near my hot water heater (since it's warm there). That's that, everything goes well until the casing stage, Should I add the verm on top of the straw?? I tried both but I found the cases get dry without the verm. I thought the verm would help eliminate the contams but they seem to be the cause, that is why this time I did a coir and verm mix, thought still no luck.

Thanks

Invisible4bin
Sofa Gazer

Loc: 46 & 2
    #3965064 - 03/24/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

If I'm not mistaken, bathrooms are great breeders of green mold. Start by giving the bathroom a serious cleaning (particularly the curtain).

Good luck.

--------------------
I grow legal edibles only. Fresh Shiitake are the bee's knees - like, straight from the fridge.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #3965179 - 03/24/05 02:03 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Yes and yes and no. It's apparent that your casings air exchange is the prob. I had the same issues when I first started going bulk, but I fixed that shit real quick. When I finish mixing my spawn with straw, I cut a sheet of low grade plastic to fit a little bigger than the tray for bulk spawn. Take the plastic and tuck it around the casing nice and tight, this will hold the straw together and will be nice for incubation.After you tuck in the plastic nice and tight over the casing, cut 1" slits with a razor blade or knife about every 4 square inches. This will allow for air exchange and a nice incubation period. Then put the lid of the tub on loosely, or a little sideways so CO2 can exchange out of the tub. Remember stagnant air will fire up contams in a hurry. DO NOT case the straw until the colonization is 100%.

Edited by hotnutz (03/24/05 02:19 PM)

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3965239 - 03/24/05 02:20 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

i dont use straw just strait poo

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: psillyrabit]
    #3965330 - 03/24/05 02:45 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Yes, lime is a def when it comes to straw in my book. Especially in the spring and summer when trich is thick. I use 1/2 pint of hydrated lime and a 1/2 pint of bleach for each pasturization bath per 15 gallons of water.

Edited by hotnutz (03/24/05 02:45 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: sludge]
    #3965349 - 03/24/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

hotnutz had it right. Air exchange is the key. However, you're also doing a disservice by sterilizing casing material. Pasteurize it only. You want the bacteria to survive because they'll not only help pinning, but also help fight the contamination problems you're having. Fungi spores are killed by pasteurization temperatures, so if you can maintain 150-170F for an hour, trich and cobweb, etc., will be killed off. Secondly, coir is suited as a compost or substrate material because it's high in the nutes that fungi love. This means green will grow on it as well as mushrooms. I recommend not to use coir for a casing material. For every success story we see, there are many more cases of overlay and contamination. In fact, straw will do very well when left uncased.

If the contamination was on the straw itself and not the casing, the most likely cause is it was introduced at spawning when your rye was damaged. The trich spores get on the rye and germinate before the mushroom mycelium has a chance to recover. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: More and MOre Contamination $%@# !!!! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3967983 - 03/25/05 09:14 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

I am convinced that the last stage is where something goes wrong. When my straw is fully colonized I never see any contams when casing the material, all looks good. I decided to use casing material because I am not getting the flushes I would like to see when I incubate straw alone. For some reason I never get the success stories as I see here where my case is fully pinned, I do get some growth but never to the point where I can not see the substrate because the shrooms are completely covering it from site. I thought casing the straw with either verm or coir would help promote more growth, as for my next casing. I think I will follow all my same steps but a little differently.

1st when spawning the straw to rye I will place in a plastic as before but already compress it into the plastic casing, therefore when the straw is colonized I will simply cut the bag open remove it and it will fit nicely into it's precast ed container, not much need for breaking the straw up and separating it into separate containers.

2 I will bake (pasteurize my verm/coir) instead of microwaving it and sterilizing it, I notice sterilizing straw would attract contams, until I switched to pasteurizing it. I think this would also help.

When all is said and done the final steps of casing would easily be performed by cutting open the bag, laying it down in the container and covering it with an inch of casing material. I will cover some and leave others without verm/coir and record the differences.

Thanks for the suggestions if anyone has anything they would like to recommend please do so.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds