Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Security and Safety

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
RE: Building an SSL equiped proxy
    #3959125 - 03/23/05 01:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Even though I'm puting myself at risk of sounding like a complete moron I need to confirm my own nagging suspicions by asking the following question. Please forgive my ignorance.

I've used CGI proxy on my own server in the past and I'm able to set it up using SSL. I used to use this setup to surf from my work computer. Since I'm no security expert I thought someone here could answer my question. If I set up an SSL enabled proxy script such as CGI proxy on my remote server (a hosting provider using my registered domain), is it safe to assume that all activity would still be traceable to me because I'm the registered lease holder of the particular domain and server space where the proxy script is housed (and I would be the only person using it)?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/23/05 07:59 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: RE: Building an SSL equiped proxy [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3966570 - 03/24/05 10:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, you've basically answered your own question. 

If you lease webspace off of some company they probably have whats called an S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure).

AOL is real big on theirs...

ANYWHO.... if you're surfing the web through proxies, you can be tracked.  But to get the name and address of the person who the IP address belongs to takes a court warrant. 

SO, the trick is to get a server not based in the country that you reside in.

Even thats questionable if you're only using one server.

The more you ping around the better you'll be.  If you jump through 3-4 international servers, it will be much harder to find you than if you're just using an SSL here in the USA.

Although, if you can jump through a number of SSL proxies :smile:  That would definitely be the way to go.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: RE: Building an SSL equiped proxy [Re: Lana]
    #3967013 - 03/25/05 12:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That's what I thought...damn! I guess I'll be using switch proxy.
Thanks for the confirmation Lana!

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

InvisibleSourceLimit
Above TheirInfluence
Re: RE: Building an SSL equiped proxy [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3967030 - 03/25/05 12:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Can you use switch proxy to chain?

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: RE: Building an SSL equiped proxy [Re: SourceLimit]
    #3967110 - 03/25/05 12:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not seeing anything about chaining in the documentation. I don't think it does. This does not mean it does not, of course. I think it's strength is convenience (because it's a firefox plugin that allows you to switch proxies with the click of a button) and it automatically switches to a random proxy in your list at regular intervals (a time interval that you choose).

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/25/05 01:42 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Security and Safety