Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Gymnopilus sp?
    #3957132 - 03/22/05 10:55 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Hi,
I was hoping someone might be able ID these Gyms' to species for me.

Cap: 2-6cm wide - pale yellow/orange to pale brown. Convex to nearly plane with age. Surface wet in feel with brown to purple scales. slightly in curved margin. mature specimens undulating.

Gills: andante to sinuate - pale yellow to orange. spacing close.

Stipe: 10-15mm wide, 30-100mm long, hollow, thicker at base. Red parallel striations becoming a pale orange at apex. annulus present.

Spore print - rusty orange.

Habitat: NSW Australia - Found growing at both the base of a Eucalyptus tree and in a pile of decomposing Eucalyptus mulch nearby. Cespitose.

Bruising dark brown/black on stipe.
Blue/green bruising noticed on mycelium and very base of stipe only.

---

96kb

54kb

66kb

66kb

50kb

any help would be great.
cheers :smile:

Edited by Bolwarra (03/22/05 11:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: Bolwarra]
    #3958105 - 03/23/05 06:38 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Well it sure seems to have blueing. I would think it may be a close relative somewhere between Gymnopilus Spectabilis and Ventricosus. I find a lot of different Gyms but never any that had any blueing and never consumed any either.

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #3958191 - 03/23/05 07:48 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I'll wait for the pros but you just might have some gyms.. By the way- Gyms are very hard to dose, and from what I hear you have to eat a pretty hefty ammount, and also I hear that the potency varries GREATLY between gym strains(or species)

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: MasonsChild]
    #3958201 - 03/23/05 07:52 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

The previous Gyms i have found never showed bluing either.

Does anyone have info on Australian Gyms?
ATM my only source is Stamets guide and the net. have found reference to 8 different species in Australia? (some look to be synonyms)
and very few published descriptions/photos that i can find.

to me G. spectabilis doesn't seem to fit. mainly because the Caps i have seen remain small and G. spectablisis can grow to 40cm? also i thought G. spec tends to be thinner at the base?

i don't have any info on G. ventricosus.
so basically i don't even know if G.spec or G.vent even occur in Australia? anyone have any info on this?

G. purpuratus doesn't fit either.

basically i'm not all concerned with an ID really, but it would be nice to know.

either way i think ill attempt to get some mycelium and try an isolate it, or maybe just prepare an outdoor bed and just use it as spawn? maybe both...

--------------------

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

#3958210 - 03/23/05 07:55 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

flowstone: yes i thats what i've been lead to believe too.

i haven't given much thought to eating these...found plenty maggots though :crazy:

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3958472 - 03/23/05 09:30 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Those look really familiar. I'll check some books when I get home tonight.

Nice finds.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3959088 - 03/23/05 11:51 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Unfortunately, Hesler's monograph on the genus is a monograph on the North American species.

From that reference we really need some microscopic data to verify ID. However, only one of the species in subgenus Annulati (the species with persistent rings) is listed as growing from eucalyptus. If we use that as the basis for identification then those are Gymnopilus imperialis. They do resemble the description of that species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3960190 - 03/23/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I was actually trying to get ahold of a copy of Hesler's Gymnopilus book that you mentioned ToxicMan, but found that everything was back ordered, out of stock, or they just couldn't find it. Same goes for his book on the genus Hygrophorus.
Identification down to species is really tough for gyms, beautiful pics however, those are quite the majestic looking specimens.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: eris]
    #3960389 - 03/23/05 03:32 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Those are nice

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3961042 - 03/23/05 05:44 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Those look like the specimens of Gymnopilus luteofolius pictured in Stamets "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World."

They have been found fruiting from Eucalyptus wood chips in California in from June through November.

You found yours fruiting from Eucalyptus wood chips in the beginning of Southern hemisphere Autumn.

It all sound right to me, and they look just like the ones in Stamets book. I can't find a picture of Gymnopilus imperialis, so I can't really compare them.

Gymnopilus luteofolius are reported to be weakly to moderately active; I think that is what you have. If you decide to consume them I suggest you make a tea. PM me if you want a recipe.

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Re: Gymnopilus sp? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3962301 - 03/23/05 09:59 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

thanks Shroomydan.
i agree, they do resemble the G. luteofolius from Stamets guide.
thanks for the info Shroomydan, ToxicMan and everyone else :smile:

I'll attempt to spawn these to wood chips, P. Stamets suggests it can be done fairly easily, so i'm hoping for the best.

cheers.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract