Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
old hand
found something in my coffeemaker!!!
    #3958418 - 03/23/05 11:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hey guys its been a while thats for sure, but a friend found something just an hour ago. he wanted some coffee but the coffeemaker was packed away and hadnt been used for about 2 months. so he opens up the filter part and there was still old coffee grinds in there. he proceeded to tell his girlfriend 'damnit, didnt you clean this out before you packed it away??'  :smirk:

it was covered in mold- or so he first thought. he banged out the solid mass of grinds and poceeded to wash out the reusable filter. then he noticed the familiar smell. the whole thing (well most of it) was mycellium! so the 2 mold spots were cut out with a sterilized knife, a terrarium was pulled out of the closet and the whole mass is sitting on a piece of tinfoil in there  :cool:

there are pictures of this which i will post probably sunday or monday, but this guy lent his bluetooth adapter to his brother and all the pictures are on his camera phone. so they will only be VGA pics but its a 6230 phone so theyre probably some of the best 640x480 pics you will get off a phone. right now the mass is sitting very humid at about 78-79 degrees.

last time the coffemaker was out, his girfriend was out camping in i think maryland (not 100% sure) so really if they fruit i may ask you guys to help identify them. there is a small percentage that they may be psilicybe because there was (possibly indirect) exposure to psilicybe spores a while ago to the coffemaker but probably its another genus that was picked up from the air.

the mycellium however looks damn strong. it hadnt been incubated and looks that way, very dense and puffy and grew slowly. aside from a few spots that arent 100% colonized and the 2 mold spots that were chopped off it loks fawkin awesome  :ooo:

has anyone ever grown on coffe beans/grinds? she thinks the last coffee that was in there was maxwell house but maybe not. is coffee a good substrate for psilocybes as well? updates will be posted every few days or so as progress forms but honestly it may just result in a mold farm, who knows. but my friend was just so excited to see what he saw it brang him back to the old days and he had to take a stab at this just for the old cultivation feeling. hes heard of other common substrates, rice, popcorn, etc but was unaware that even some mycelliums liked coffee. the grinds are only slightly finer than the density of fine vermiculite, which was most commonly used back then by my friend. in fact, he didnt have any perlite so fine vermiculite was used as humidification in the terrarium but it looks to be holding moisture pretty well. hes is excited because even though its been a while, mycology is still a love of his but given the living arrangements and family situation it has been prohibited. but dont worry, a love cannot be lost and one day maybe even soon the opportunity to play with mycology may arise and youll see this name as a regular again.

also, a shout out to all the vets here, anno, bluehoney, magash, roadkill, joshua, and all the others. is 40oztofreedom still around? that guy cracked me up. later all!

Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: found something in my coffeemaker!!! [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #3958423 - 03/23/05 11:09 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i really don't understand how this is going to grow without contamming again... most likely it will.

i also don't expect it to fruit... but...

keep us updated on this... if it actually fruits i'd like to laugh at myself.

"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation