Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlueDogAnchorite
The jury arecoming, comingto tear me apart
What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip?
    #3949217 - 03/21/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I was just wandering if anyone had any tips for this, cheers!

--------------------
If god is all powerful, then the devil must be nothing more than a darkness in the mind of god, however if the devil is something real and seperate then perfection is impossible and god cannot exist, except in the aspirations of fallen angels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: BlueDogAnchorite]
    #3949298 - 03/21/05 02:22 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

talk to them to expain that it will go away, just be nice and helpfull and don't look scared. Change the music that is playing can influence a lot. maybe take someone for a walk or even into an other room.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: stefan]
    #3949387 - 03/21/05 02:39 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

There really is nothing that you can do to. They have to get themselves out.

But there are a few things that you can do to try and help:
*Change the atmosphere. The setting can very often be the culprit, so change the music, turn the lights on/off (don't strobe it dick! LOL!), leave the room, go for a walk, etc. Make things less intense.

*Talk to the person in a calm voice that lets them know you care about them. Tell them "hey man, it's just the shrooms, your fine". Make yourself an example that they can follow.

*Sometimes it helps to make physical contact. Touch their arm, give them a hug. Let them know that you are THERE.

*Don't restrain them or lock them up unless they pose a danger to themselves or someone else. Restraint can make them feel trapped. This also fits in with changing the atmosphere. If they feel trapped in a room or thought, help them get out.

*Give them space if they need it. Nothing makes a bad trip worse than a bunch of people who won't leave you alone!

Other than those things, there is really no way to help them. Probably, most of the time, they are struggling with a personal issue or emotion and they just need some time alone to deal with it themselves.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: dr0mni]
    #3949416 - 03/21/05 02:44 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: stefan]
    #3949434 - 03/21/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

stress the fact that IT WILL END because it has to, and there has never been a case of perma-trip despite what those burnouts bragged about in high school.

Avoid the phrases "What's wrong?" and "Are you okay?". Instead, ask if there is something in particular that is bothering them. Do your best to remove that negative stimulus. Do not pester them. Be open to their thoughts. A lot of times people have bad trips because their own thoughts are scaring them and they're afraid to share. Who knows, maybe you both have had the some concerns, but you've managed to work it out already? That sharing could be quite helpful. If you're tripping too, it's very important to let them know that you are going through the same thing. Often times people stress about being so fucked up, and they think that they're the only ones going through it.

Change the setting. Setting is an important factor in mood. If they're mobile enough, get them into a darkened, quiet room. Take off their shoes, if they're still on. If they don't mind changing, put them into some loose fitting weather appropriate clothes.

My girlfriend recently had the worst trip of her life and I helped her out by getting her to bed and surrounding her with blankets and pillows. She said it felt like a womb.

If they're throwing up that's usually the worst. Bathrooms are the worst places to be when on shrooms. They're sterile, bright, cold, and sometimes smell funny. Plus they have mirrors in them. Mirrors are a very bad idea for somebody who is having a bad trip. Get them out of the bathroom and put them somewhere relaxed with a bucket that has a bag in it. Tell them to call for you when they puke so that you can get them a new bag so they don't have to keep smelling the vomit (if you can handle that part of course).

And sometimes people having bad trips just need to be left alone... not much you can do except let them work it out themselves. Just make sure there's nothing sharp around :smile:

hope this helps.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: gsmith]
    #3949762 - 03/21/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

the rest of your post is pretty sound, but the first comment you made is wrong. there are people who have gone insane which is a perma-trip i guess. it may not be as intense as when under the actual drug but you can become seriously fucked up

another point:
sometimes it is impossible to actually talk to someone. when i was fucking tripping my asshole off and my friend was trying to talk to me i not only did not understand whatever he was telling me but i have no recollection of him talking to me i was so gone. once people have actually gotten onto a hellish trip it is tough it bring them back.

a good idea is to try playing or even singing some farmiliar soft music. try singing childrens songs :smile:

if you see someone or feel yourself that a 'bad' trip is coming on and you really dont want to go there, then just keep talking to someone you are comfortable with and talk about some more normal stuff. probably to best thing on uncomfortable trips stemming from lower doses. the higher you go though, the harder is is to come down

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: BlueDogAnchorite]
    #3950371 - 03/21/05 05:57 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Dr. Stanislav Grof is one of the pioneers in LSD psychotherepy. Here is a very informative article on the subject of crisis intervention in situations related to unsupervised use of psychedelics. http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/grof2.htm

--------------------

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: holio1]
    #3952648 - 03/22/05 08:08 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

insane is different than perma-trip IMO... Nobody stays at peak forever... even if they experience drug induced psychosis or HPPD (which is rare). The worst part of a bad trip is the peak, and all I was sayin was that you have to assure them that they won't be in that mind state forever, irregardless of what they've heard.

And there are also two camps on this issue. Some believe that HPPD is psychosomatic... I include myself in this camp. I think that everyone at some point in their life will experience transient disturbances in perception. It's only those of us who've done hallucinagens who recognize them. For some people this causes distress, because they think it's caused by that one hit of acid they did years ago. One thing that people don't seem to understand about visual perception is how much of it is literally in your head. The only part of your vision that is in crystal clear focus and in color is what is directly in front of your eye. Your brain fills in the rest. Check out this web page and definitely try the blind spot test... it's a trip.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot1.html

As for drug induced psychoses, many believe these are actually precipitated by many other factors. The case studies listed in the info section of this site say that a lot of these people had no history of prior mental illness. However it is estimated that one in five persons have some type of underlying mental illness that goes undiagnosed a majority of the time. Very often, as a matter of fact, individuals who experience severe psychotic disturbances may not seek help at all as they do not understand the source of their symptoms. Paranoia plays a large part in that as well. And IMO the worst drug for somebody who's paranoid is a hallucinagen. So it's fair to say that not having a history of mental illness does not preclude you from having a problem.

How appropriate is this discussion in a thread about bad trips? Not very...

--------------------
------
this is a signature

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: gsmith]
    #3952954 - 03/22/05 10:11 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Tell them to sit up.  Encourage good posture and deep breathing.  Show them how great it is to breathe, how sweet the air tastses, how amazing our bodies our.  Get into talk about the lungs, how the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide is completely passive, perfect.  Talk about chakras or wahtever.  Wax poetic about the amazing state we are in, as thinking monkeys with immortal souls.  All this beautiful philosophical talk will distract them.  :smile: 

Really though, just get them to sit up and breathe deep.  Its amazing what a bit of good posture will do for a trip.

--------------------

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: Noviseer]
    #3954126 - 03/22/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

all the basic things have been taken care of. i didn't read a few of the posts(i admit), however, one piece of advice i would like to give is benzos.. a few valium of xanax could be a life saver in a hellish trip

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#3954172 - 03/22/05 02:57 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

i've only ever seen someone freak out once, and it was quite bad. i took her out for a walk and that really helped. i told her everything was fine and she was just under the effects of a drug. i kept talking about pleasant things, i even sang that song thats in the opening of fear and loathing in las vegas. whenever she got scared, i told her to look at the sky and that seemed to help as well. i guess different things will work for different trips but that's the only experience i have. i think the best thing you can do is get into a totally different atmosphere. change the music, change the lighting, get into a different room or go outside (or go inside if you were already outside).

OfflineJROS14
Protege
Loc: SF, CA
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: alsey]
    #3954280 - 03/22/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

u could also have the bad tripper repeat a mantra, like "love is all around me" or anything like that (or you could repeat it for them). also, i have heard that wrapping urself up in a nice heavy blanket helps, so maybe have one of those on hand.

--------------------
**GRoUP HUG**

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: JROS14]
    #3956744 - 03/22/05 09:56 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

niacinamide...
utfse...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #3956788 - 03/22/05 09:59 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Give them something, an object, that belongs to you and that you feel really attached to, and tell them how special it is to you and that if they hold on to it everything will be okay. Having something to clutch is, well, clutch when you're in a bad trip situation.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3957004 - 03/22/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

A change in scenery always is always good, it could be as simple as shutting off a light. Changes in music work too. Best way to avoid them is to go into the trip with a positive attitude in a safe setting.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineMeThoD
MeThoD

Re: What can you do to help people out of or deal with a bad trip? [Re: gdman]
    #3957644 - 03/23/05 01:14 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Explain to them that what they are feeling will end, that they did not OD, and that they will not die or be caught by the cops.

--------------------
Every empty bowl must be filled, and a full bowl must always be emptied.

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag