Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting
    #3957161 - 03/22/05 11:00 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Hello,

I have a rye grain substrate cased with 50/50+ . It has been 7 days since casing. I am now getting what look like pins, small pointy mycellial growths straight up out of the casing. Also, some of these are growing broad, mushroom like heads. But, they are still all white. Will these eventually gain color and start to resemble mushrooms? The tallest ones are about 1-1.5 cm tall. I am worried because I have never seen anything like this in pictures anywhere. I am following Stamet's humidity, temperature and lighting guidelines. The strain is the Treasure Coast PC strain from thehawkseye.com.

So, does this sound normal? I am new to this, and these long pointy structures I have never seen. Usually my impression is that before anything long and pointy grows, the small bulbous pins (precursors to the long pointy ones i deescribe) just seem to gain color and turn into mushrooms.

My camera is busted, but if this is not obvious I will figure out how to post a pic.

Thanks,
Lucretius.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: mrlucretius]
    #3957176 - 03/22/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Sounds like you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

Have Patience.....

Little buggers will grow like WILD FIRE -- Very SOON.

So much so, it will surprise you.

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

#3957185 - 03/22/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I guess here is a better question. Sorry to reply to my own post.

Now that I have a whole bunch of pins and miniature mycellial mushroom shaped pins, should I lower humidity to initiate fruiting?

Picture to come in a sec...

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

#3957229 - 03/22/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Ok here is a picture of my pins, if they are pins. Kindof humid, but you can see those little babies.

What should I do now? should I lower humidity?

Thanks

Lucretius

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: agar]
    #3957243 - 03/22/05 11:18 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Hey, check out my pic, something is quite different, your pins are like little peas, mine are like needles. Whoops, I mean to say primordia. No pins yet I guess from your description.

What do you think about this?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3957265 - 03/22/05 11:22 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

You have rhyzo growth that will soon fatten into primordia.

LOOKING GOOD. If you have induced air exchange of some sort, I would not change a thing.

--------------------

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: mrlucretius]
    #3957268 - 03/22/05 11:23 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

-

--------------------
"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: ShroomGuy86]
    #3957304 - 03/22/05 11:33 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

good job it will be a few more days :smile:

--------------------
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Edited by Dem_Bones (03/22/05 11:34 PM)

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #3957456 - 03/23/05 12:16 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

yeah, I just got done failing at my first grow, but I at least got to pins before it contaminated.

I saw a bunch of these ryzomorphs and got real excited too. I think a few of them were actually hyphal knots. After about 7-8 days round little primordia popped up in many places, but not from the knots like I expected. The knots eventually started turning into primordia, but they were not the first to do so...

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #3957473 - 03/23/05 12:22 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks for the info guys. This is my first real run. I have done much research on the subject; however, I accidentaly completely soaked my casing for a few days without noticing. So, I drained the excess water, and did some "deep scratching" and some casing patching, and basically screwed around with it, so I wasn't sure if I had messed it up. The main mycellium in not from grown into the casing, but from chunks from deep scratching. I hope that it has all regrown into the main substrate. I guess that those "pins (sic.)" (rhizo growth) are starting to actually form primordia (bulges). Usually it seems that the bulges are at the surface, whereas in my case they are in the air. Hopefully this will work out?

Anyways, i figure i should throw in a pic of my setup for the hey hoo.

Notice, ultrasonic humidifer, left, and exhaust fan, back right, homemade humidity and temp controller, bottom left, and not shown, a big oil filled heater that is controlled to keep my closet just right. The exhaust fan is not controlled unfortunately, I just keep the fan bypassed enough to make the humidifier kick in only a handful of times every hour. I figure that is a good few air exchanges. Sorry for the crappy camera.

Thanks guys, hope this works out. It looks pretty good so far, so I will wait a few more days and see some real pins hopefully. Patience arrrgh.

Lucretius

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3957482 - 03/23/05 12:26 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

mrlucretius, see the tray in the pictures below? That tray looked about exactly like the one in your picture about three days before the fruit picture. The spikes are a very good sign indicating a rhizomorphic type of growth. Sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. The trays that do get it usually do real well. In the tray in the picture below, I was also using a setup just like yours. If you don't go too crazy with the water, you'll soon have a really dense tray of mushrooms.

PS - Just for the record, that tray yielded 11 DRY grams per half pint birdseed cake in the first two flushes. I had about 8 cakes in there and it yielded 90 grams DRY in two flushes. Talk about a great tray.

Edited by Blue Helix (03/23/05 12:39 AM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: Blue Helix]
    #3957513 - 03/23/05 12:34 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

mrlucretius, another interesting thing about your tray is that I also did a deep scratch just like you did. I also was overwatering too. Cross your fingers because I think your tray is going to be great.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3958116 - 03/23/05 06:47 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

BH, what strain is that in the pics and what strain do you prefer? Those look just like my Z's to me..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3958653 - 03/23/05 10:16 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

That tray was an Ecuador tray. I have not tried Zs. I've tried Ecuadors, Mazapatecs, B+, PF spores (whatever they are), and golden teacher. PF seems about like Ecuadors. My favorite so far are the Ecuadors for speed of colonization and density of first pin set and B+ for ease of stomach upset and the biggest later flush fruits. I now stick with B+. I often pick off single B+ fruits in the later flushes of thicker manure trays that are 100+ grams wet.

In my experience the picture he shows will fruit well, but it looks a little wet. The trouble with being too wet is that you are roling the green mold dice so to speak. I like to keep my casing a bit drier so I don't depend on being clean to keep green mold away. A tray incubated in proper humdity of about 90-95% will almost never grow mold, but it's not easy getting the humidity down in some setups.

PS - I will be posting some pictures of my latest B+ tray, which should be a home run, and what I've learned, including new technique discoveries, in about five days in the advanced forum. Judging from what I see now, I think it's going to be an awesome tray.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3958669 - 03/23/05 10:21 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

PS - I will be posting some pictures of my latest B+ tray, which should be a home run, and what I've learned, including new technique discoveries, in about five days in the advanced forum. Judging from what I see now, I think it's going to be an awesome tray.

right on bro!~

can't wait to read it.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3958708 - 03/23/05 10:30 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:
That tray was an Ecuador tray. I have not tried Zs. I've tried Ecuadors, Mazapatecs, B+, PF spores (whatever they are), and golden teacher. PF seems about like Ecuadors. My favorite so far are the Ecuadors for speed of colonization and density of first pin set and B+ for ease of stomach upset and the biggest later flush fruits. I now stick with B+. I often pick off single B+ fruits in the later flushes of thicker manure trays that are 100+ grams wet.

In my experience the picture he shows will fruit well, but it looks a little wet. The trouble with being too wet is that you are roling the green mold dice so to speak. I like to keep my casing a bit drier so I don't depend on being clean to keep green mold away. A tray incubated in proper humdity of about 90-95% will almost never grow mold, but it's not easy getting the humidity down in some setups.

Cool, I'll keep an eye open for it. I just knocked up some Ecuadors a few days ago and they are showing germination today. A quart and a pint to be spawned to many more and then mostly to bulk...we'll see how it goes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3958738 - 03/23/05 10:38 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Beautifull pic Mr Lucretius!

Im gonna nominate it! :thumbup:

MF

--------------------

Offlinejohnhenry
Minderbinder
Loc: capital-evil empire
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3959028 - 03/23/05 11:42 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Are temps in the upper 60's to cold to pin? AFOAF's mycobags have rhyzo growth and has introduced light, removed from incubator to lower temp. Incubator temp was low 80's

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3959320 - 03/23/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

high 60 they can pin @.

--------------------

Offlinejohnhenry
Minderbinder
Loc: capital-evil empire
Re: Question about pinning / primordia formation / fruiting [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3959679 - 03/23/05 01:02 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

thanks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags