Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Hunting lights...
    #3952383 - 03/22/05 04:29 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Do any of you use special kinds of lights when you hunt at night (and I'm assuming trying to be the least bit conspicuous)? My friends have little red lights that they say makes the mushrooms "glow" in the field at night, but I've yet to see this phenomena because I've yet to find a psilocybe in my few experiences hunting...anyone use a special light or any light when hunting?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Raspo]
    #3952388 - 03/22/05 04:32 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

The few times that I have gone hunting were all at night (didnt have permission to be their).

I just used a regular small flash light. The red light dosent give off enuf light.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleBaton_Rouge_Voodoo
24 inch Pythons
 User Gallery

Loc: Sec.A-3 Row 18 Seat 10
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: niteowl]
    #3952709 - 03/22/05 08:32 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I've got a small but super bright LED flashlight that I use.It came with a red and also a blue lense.The package said the red lense was for night vision,but I found the blue lense to be more suitable for hunting shrooms.Although no lense at all is much better.

OfflineGainer
Syzurp
 User Gallery

Loc: Ðirty §outh
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Baton_Rouge_Voodoo]
    #3952837 - 03/22/05 09:29 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

my brother has a flashlight with several colored lens he uses when he goes deer hunting he claims that deer bloods glows using the blue lens is that true if so what light spectrum would shrooms show up best if any? i dunno im thinking nothing would be better than no lens like you said BR

--------------------
"I mean, it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
-Captain Murphy

"Quit being a bitch and pill me up"
-Dr. Quinn

"Smoke that bitch"
"I am not Stormy, I am He who smokes Bitches!"
-Stormy

Offlineduster
psychadelicgardener
Male User Gallery

Loc: ARIZONA,TRANSLVANIAA,ETC....
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Gainer]
    #3952875 - 03/22/05 09:44 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I believe a dark purplish color would be perfect for spotting shrooms.. you know like a blacklight.. well for cubensis anyways something with a semi-white cap

--------------------
"Life is created out of the seeking of knowledge."

Offlinedonkeyballs
People areStrange whenyour a Stranger!

#3952904 - 03/22/05 09:56 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Whats up Raspo, Red light does not travel nearly as far as any other color. If your trying to be discreet I think that a red flashlight would be your best bet. The only thing you would need to do is test it out to make sure its not too bright. If it is too bright you could experiment with placing paper or film placed over the lens to dim the light. I remember awhile back I was able to make a flashlight that would light up the ground but could not be seen from 30 ft away in any direction! Hope that helps. peace

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3953339 - 03/22/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

In April of 1979, the cubes came up in a large dairy farm outside of Jacksonville, Florida. I did not need a flash light as I went on the night of the full moon with a clear sky and no clouds. I could see the caps in the moon light of the cubes. I picked about three pounds and then when this car tuerned its lights into the pasture, I jumped a fence and was in swamp water up to my waist.

It was my stupid sister getting pissed at me parked down the road. She had been waiting fo rme for two hours or more. Flashed her lights and beeped the horn. Scared the shit out of me. Thought it was a farmer or cop.

Anyway, after ten minuted of hiding and her honking I finally emerged soaking wet. Then we had a good laugh.

mj,.

I was eventually asked not to come to that field again. That s why I went at night.

I had permission from the ranchers to pick in the day time. Si I sometimes would have some kids from Jax drive me out and then come back later and get me. I would give them a third of my shrooms for the car ride.

One day with my son with me, we had a Baptise minister of Lebanese descent who wouold often drive us to the field each week for a few months. He thought we were picking and selling edible shrooms.

Anyway, Some punk kids went out there one day and got caught. They told the ranch hannds that I gave them permission to pick there and I did not and so I came one day with my kid and a rancher came at me with a shotgun telling me that since I told these people they could pick in his field I was not allowed to pick there anymore. And he didn't want to hear my story.

What a bummer. Thus the night picking trip.

mj

Offlinemeluvshrooms
Stranger
Loc: North Florida
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3953470 - 03/22/05 12:35 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

^Wow, was that dairy farm on the North Side of Jax.(New Berlin Rd.)? I jumped the fence to that field one day during the day and these mexicans were staring at me from across the way. They went inside their trailor, then I checked their field, but I didn't get any because of the conditions I believe. I live between there and tallahassee so I pretty much can always have a shot at gettin some shrooms wherever I'm at. I also wanted to say I HATE hunting at night. I guess I haven't found a field at night that was going off yet. During the day you see them all, and 2 of the fields I go to on a consistent basis are "tree'd" up along the sides so you got some coverage.

--------------------
Shr00ms make me Happy! :cool:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: meluvshrooms]
    #3953526 - 03/22/05 12:44 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

NOt the same farm. Sorry. No Mexicans at this dairy ranch.

mj

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3954078 - 03/22/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I used one of those footlong mag lights... i covered the lens with the sleeve of my black sweat shirt...it muted the light really well, yet still left enough light for me to see what I was doing.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: lackobreath]
    #3955586 - 03/22/05 07:27 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

If I was a farmer in Florida or Texas and i looked out my farm house window and saw a glowing light in the field I would most definitely get my shtogum out and load it with nails and fire on the UFO shroomer in the dark.

Remember the Japanese kid in New Orleans who knocked on a door and said trick or treat and the home owner shot him and the courts agreed the kid was scary and trepasssing so the home owner was cleared.

Or the two kids in Florida who were shot picking mushrooms in broad daylight after a deputy sheriff had told them to never come back and pick in his field. They were hand-cuffed together in broad daylight and then shot in the back by the sheriff. He did time for manslaughter and was out in 8 years

Not that that could happen agian. But after I learned of that, no way would I ever go picking in Florida again.

On another ocasion, a teenager died after becoming intoxicated on shrooms and he drink a whole bota of wine and laid face down in a pasture and drowned to death in his own vomit like William Homden did.

mj

Be careful at night. Remember rattle snakes and cottonmouths and/or mocassins are common in Florida fields.

mj

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3955722 - 03/22/05 07:54 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Rattlesnake, Coral. All of the bad ones in FL.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: newuser1492]
    #3956203 - 03/22/05 09:03 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Yes, if you feel that you might get caught, then find another field. Its not worth getting arrested or shot. There are some crazy farmers out there, believe me.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3957454 - 03/23/05 12:15 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

holy crap. that is insanly...insane! it is actually scary to even think of that! im glad i live in a small cheerfull town!

MJ, the SHERIF shot the 2 kids AFTER he arrested them...for tresspassing and pickign mushrooms. i cant bend my head around that.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: kadakuda]
    #3957474 - 03/23/05 12:22 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

On the plus side,Floridas only got 5 poison types of snakes native,and they are all easy to identify,but threre real good at hiding too,lol...You forgot the pygmy rattler in the above list=)
On the subject of lighting,if you use one of the coleman battery powered lanterns,and put a dark blue or black towel over it,it will shine its light striaght down only...This works with a flashlight too...keeps the beam from being seen in the distance=) Give it a try,this is one of the best ways not to be seen if you elect to use a light

Edited by Electric305 (03/23/05 12:31 AM)

InvisibleBaton_Rouge_Voodoo
24 inch Pythons
 User Gallery

Loc: Sec.A-3 Row 18 Seat 10
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Electric305]
    #3958384 - 03/23/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Another passion of mine is reptile hunting.Most of the snakes I have found have been while shroom hunting.Believe me,they are out there in the strangest of places.Just a tip for those of you who are afraid of snakes.If you're in the deep south the only thing you really have to fear though are fully armed farmers and 10 foot mosquitoes that smoke cigarettes and steal babies.

Edited by Baton_Rouge_Voodoo (03/23/05 08:55 AM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Baton_Rouge_Voodoo]
    #3961428 - 03/23/05 07:18 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

herping is my passion as well :smile:  seems to eb a lot of poeple into that sort of thing.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Hunting lights... [Re: kadakuda]
    #3961441 - 03/23/05 07:22 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

yeah...snakes are awesome.Very beautiful creatures.I got a nice picture of a 2 and a 1/2 foot mocassin near a place where i hunt just the other day.

Offlinejtop11
Stranger

Re: Hunting lights... [Re: Electric305]
    #4042299 - 04/11/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I usually take a big piece of paper and cover it with aluminum foil. I tape the foil to the paper...then I wrap my flashlight with the paper/foil (obviously foilside in) This really concintrates the beam makeing it REALLY hard to see from the side....I've yet to be spotted...(knock on wood)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4055078 - 04/14/05 02:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ive never used a flashlight at night

its to conspicuous

moonlight usually helps out

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies