Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Undershot the water! what can I do to fix?
    #3950889 - 03/21/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I noticed after even about 12 days of inoculation a group of jars had not yet begun to colonize. I let them sit for another week when I decided to take one jar out and remove the cake to try and find the problem.

I think I undershot the water content of the jars.

When taken out, the middle was a little moist, but towards the bottom it was pretty dry.

All of my other jars are colonizing, but the bottoms look the same, kinda shrunk compared to the middle & top jars. I am worried they won't fully colonize because of this.

Here is a picture of an EQ jar innoc'ed on 3-4-05:

its really interesting , but there is strong rhizomorphic growth starting to get into the dry vermiculite layer..?? :confused:

A friend suggested putting a little water in the bottom of the incubation tub, but I am worried that will introduce contamination or alter the moisture content of jars that I re-did.

What wouuld you suggest?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: Undershot the water! what can I do to fix? [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #3950983 - 03/21/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

you could inject sterile water into the jar.... just be careful with the amount you dont want to over water. And also add it slowly. Be careful not to contaiminate the jar when you inject he water. Sterilize the tip and all that.

Male User Gallery
Re: Undershot the water! what can I do to fix? [Re: goofy98]
    #3951038 - 03/21/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

THe only problem is the middle of the jars are doing ok, but the bottoms aren't. If I use a syringe it won't go far enough to just reach the bottom.

I would think I'd risk the middle getting over-saturated and causing problems.

Offlinemuze420
Reflexologist
 User Gallery

Loc: WA Flag
    #3951143 - 03/21/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Depending on how many jars you have that your willing to experiment with, if I were in your shoes I would try running some water down the sides to get the bottom moist again by letting the sytinge begin at the edge, with alchohol'ed tip and distilled water of course, before and after it can't hurt to wipe down the innoc holes and cover em with cut to fit bandaids.

I'm only doing this a few months, but Ive managed to stop one mold prob in the middle of a case that is taking off as we speak with pinheads and bebesh now over every inch of that case completely free of contams n'mold.
I'm not sure about the jar options, prrhaps, take one of your myc clumps out and case it up if your that worried about it to save what you can off that jar?
wish I could help more.
take care >:):jester:

Can't hurt to try something with one jar and see if you get a change before trying a next way on the next jar to be safe maybe?

good luck
~prrr for zeppeshness >:)

--------------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got ~

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
    #3951145 - 03/21/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well if you really want to get water to the bottom of the jar this has worked for me.

In the hole of the lid (depedning on how big you hole are. Insert a staw from a brand new unopened bag of straws into the cake and push it to the bottom. (pour alchol on the straw first and then let dry)

Remove the straw (being very sterile here) tap out the dirt thats been stuffed in the straw and place it back into the hole you made in the cake.

Now you should be able to inject the straw with water and it should run to the bottom.

This is a risky procedure since you are introducing something that hasnt been PC'ed into the jar. But if you do this in a flow hood or even just a very clean (washed with soap and water and then wiped with alcohol) room with little air exchange (maybe a small CLEAN bathroom) you shouldnt have a problem.

If you have really small holes in your lid you can use coffe straws.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #3951147 - 03/21/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

is the picture one of these jars that you think are too dry. Its fine. Dont add water, you will just increase your contam risk. The growth is cool and for 17 days since you knocked them up they look great. You have at least 2 more weeks. Just leave them alone.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Male User Gallery
Re: Undershot the water! what can I do to fix? [Re: tahoe]
    #3951222 - 03/21/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I made some GT jars with a little more moisture so we will see how they go :smile:

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
    #3951465 - 03/22/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I honestly think the water content looks HIGH in that picture, which would slow the growth down substantially and maybe completely halt it.

I know I have more luck with my jars when they appear to be less moist than the one in your pic.

I use a bit below 1/2 cup of water for every pint, and 1 1/3 cup verminculite. These measurements have been fine tuned, but I finally got it down after a few grows.

Honestly, I think it takes a little trial and error. Some people might do amazingly well on their first grow, but I am still certain they constantly improve their technique.

GL!

--------------------
Death is a reason to live

Edited by RootedGrowth (03/22/05 12:10 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation