Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :(
    #3948954 - 03/21/05 03:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

not to say that i wont be on a few times a week still, but being that it is nice outside i ihave properly allocated my shroomery time to hiking in the woods time. which is highly appropriate if you ask me.

im hoping to build myself a little shack out in said woods, out of lumber from construction sites. and im going to get about 3 or 4 car batteries out there, and hook up a bycicle and a windmil to some old car alternators and make my own electricity :smile: should be a hell of a time ill let ya all know how it goes from here.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3948976 - 03/21/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

sweet.... i'll help dig a well

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3948978 - 03/21/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What are the laws sorrounding that? IF the forest is privatly owned then couldnt they just come one day and tear your treehouse down? What happens if its a national forest?

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3948980 - 03/21/05 03:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'll have to come visit you in your hermit-hut some time, I live a stone's throw from you :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: mantis]
    #3949256 - 03/21/05 04:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

laws? yeah its illegal, but the real question is who is going to stop me? noone. i mean they dont stop people from having kegs in the woods all night long and having fires, i doubt they'll stop me and my hut, and flower garden

:smile:

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

#3949294 - 03/21/05 04:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You should definitely get in touch w/ this dude:
Quote:

Richard Dorsay, 36, originally of suburban Burr Ridge, had been living on the Lake Shore Drive bridge over the Chicago River. According to Department of Transportation workers, the entrance to the hut was a 2-foot-by-10-inch hole in the bridge surface that Dorsay would squeeze into. Then, he would drop down 5 feet and crawl on a beam for about 20 feet before reaching his makeshift hut.

Authorities said he had disguised the hut with old blankets and had fitted it out with a space heater, a television, a PlayStation videogame and a microwave. Dorsay allegedly obtained electricity by tapping into the wiring in the bridgetender's office. He told the Chicago Sun-Times that he would also would bathe in the sink in the bridge house.

"(I'm) not quite certain where he got the power from, but evidently, he found a working electrical outlet that is part of the bridge operation and just strung it to the location that he was tucked away at," said DOT spokesman Brian Steele.

Dorsay's hut rose up and down when the bridge was raised and lowered -- something he compared to rising on a Ferris wheel.

Mayor Richard M. Daley said that in cases like this, the city is most concerned for the safety of the homeless.

"I'm worried about the individual, that's No. 1. I mean, you really worry about the safety of the individual -- if he's homeless, he or she -- what's happening to them, what kind of issues they have. We want to help that individual," Daley said.

NBC5's Amy Jacobson reported that Dorsay returned to his parents' home in a gated Burr Ridge community after the eviction. He is a Hinsdale Central High School graduate who admits to having dyslexia and emotional problems.

Upon his eviction, Dorsay was charged with criminal trespassing.

According to city officials, squatters have lived inside other Chicago bridges from time to time

http://www.nbc5.com/news/3991698/detail.html

--------------------

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
    #3949303 - 03/21/05 04:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Wow that's so cool, I dreamed about doing that kind of thing as kid... I think your fucking fantastic mate!! Doing it Goonie style, yer man... :handth: :rockon:

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3949305 - 03/21/05 04:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that sounds like a lot of fun, go for it! :laugh:
keep us updated now and then

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: mantis]
    #3949316 - 03/21/05 04:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

where are you planning on doing this ....

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: starptv23]
    #3949326 - 03/21/05 04:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

star is dead-set on meeting people in the woods... so (s)he can wear our skin like a beautiful coat.

isn't this true? :lol:

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#3949335 - 03/21/05 04:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ya that would be a great jacket...well i like the woods..it is a fun place to hunt people...lol...

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: starptv23]
    #3949345 - 03/21/05 04:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:ooo:
Shall we meet at 9?

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#3949391 - 03/21/05 04:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well i was just wondering where is he going ...i would not suggest any state park in IL cus I think i remember reading that he from IL...maybe not...I know there is lots of land for very cheap in Arkansas in the Ozarks...and almost of that area is national forest--plus there crystals there...i have a friend that is moving to Mt Ida i guess there is a commune there..they eat nothing but raw food though...

i guess wanting to meet some cool people is wrong...

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#3949395 - 03/21/05 04:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i will skin you at 9 no problem...

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#3949888 - 03/21/05 06:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"where are you planning on doing this .... "
probably within 20 miles of you if youre at starved rock out by lemont. deep deep in the forest preserves of cook county.

the tricky part is goingn to be the alternators, rigging them up. i want some wind power which can be belt driven, and theres enough scrap metal out there from before it was a forest preserve to make a tower to mount the windmill thing, but i also want to be able to mount a stationary bike so i can pedal the altternators when it isnt too windy...

you would think that lugging 4x8 sheets of plywood a mile into the wilderness is a bitch... and it is

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#3949947 - 03/21/05 06:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well good luck to you...just dont get caught in cook county...there 5.0 out there sucks even the forest rangers...but i knew this kid that did the same thing as you are out side of hoffman and lived there with his 2 dogs for like a year before they found him there...be safe ...

i do live 5 mins from starved rock and i can tell you there are alot of places to hide around here...

--------------------

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
    #3949981 - 03/21/05 06:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Go el natural. You dont need electricity man, its just a crutch. Wake up with the sun, go down with the sun. Have a little gas stove, use candles, wipe your ass with an owl, etc..

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: WildRunner]
    #3950159 - 03/21/05 07:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My post is somewhat related to the subject material;

Hopefully you people have heard of the book "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. If not, you should surely check it out. I googled it to find y'all some excerpts/summaries/reviews:

Here is what it says in the book jacket: ( http://www.bookbrowse.com/dyn_/title/titleID/191.htm )

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life
for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and , unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw the maps away. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

Jon Krakauer constructs a clarifying prism through which he reassembles the disquieting facts of McCandless's short life. Admitting an interest that borders on obsession, he searches for the clues to the dries and desires that propelled McCandless. Digging deeply, he takes an inherently compelling mystery and unravels the larger riddles it holds: the profound pull of the American wilderness on our imagination; the allure of high-risk activities to young men of a certain cast of mind; the complex, charged bond between fathers and sons.

When McCandless's innocent mistakes turn out to be irreversible and fatal, he becomes the stuff of tabloid headlines and is dismissed for his naivet?, pretensions, and hubris. He is said to have had a death wish but wanting to die is a very different thing from being compelled to look over the edge. Krakauer brings McCandless's uncompromising pilgrimage out of the shadows, and the peril, adversity , and renunciation sought by this enigmatic young man are illuminated with a rare understanding--and not an ounce of sentimentality. Mesmerizing, heartbreaking, Into the Wild is a tour de force. The power and luminosity of Jon Krakauer's storytelling blaze through every page.

Summary From http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/info_28049.asp
In April 1992, Christopher Johnson McCandless, a young man from a wealthy family, hitchhiked to Alaska. He had given twenty five thousand dollars savings to charity and rid himself of all his worldly goods, motivated by his reading Leo Tolstoy. Tolstoy believed in the ideals of work and rejected the physical comforts of the larger society. McCandless, an idealist who had recently graduated from Emory University, sought to put Tolstoy's ideas into practice by living alone off the land in the Alaskan wilderness.

In the wild, he read, foraged for food, and hunted once, but found himself unable to kill and eat the animal. He kept a written record of his thoughts and feelings.

Four months later his dead body was found in an abandoned bus by a moose hunter. An autopsy suggested that he had starved to death. ?Into the Wild? is the story of the young man's time in the wilderness. Krakauer explains how he would have been able to survive had he not made a few simple mistakes.

Jon Krakauer is the man. I highly suggest "Eiger Dreams" google it.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: Infrared]
    #3950176 - 03/21/05 07:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DeepBlue42 said
...i'll help dig a well

...I replaced my well pump this summer....200 FEET Deep! Bring a long shovel. :wink:

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
Re: you guys are great but im not going to be around as much anyomre... :( [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3950228 - 03/21/05 07:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've never been able to get a copy of it. Asides from buying it. Whenever im in the library, they always have Into Thin Air, but never the other. I've heard oodles of good things about it though.

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub