Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved
    #3944023 - 03/20/05 12:48 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I figured this belonged in the hunting forum since I actually found this cube in the wild a few years back. It was too small to consider eating so I did the next best thing: preserved it in casting resin and it is now proudly on display in my room. It's not in the best condition (an idiot friend of mine managed to break off a corner of the resin cube while it was still in the hardening process) and I will probably end up making a few more of these in the near future if I can find more small cubes like this one. You can't really tell from the pic, but there is actually purple matter suspended in the resin which I guess were spores that got scraped off in the middle of the hardening process. Enjoy the pic

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: SuperD]
    #3944044 - 03/20/05 12:55 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Do you dry the mushroom before casting? I would think a fresh one would deteriorate with time. Cool pic.

OfflineIAmTheWalrus212
LIL WEEZY
Male User Gallery

Loc: ?
    #3944586 - 03/20/05 02:54 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

That's way cool.  :mushroom2:

Would it be possible to clone it or something of the sort in the event that all cubes went extinct for some horrible, horrible reason?

--------------------

OfflineSmokeyMcpot
.....ThaDrizzla..... *SKEET* *SKEET*
 User Gallery

Loc: on top
Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #3944627 - 03/20/05 03:01 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Yea walrus you probably could clone that cube but it would be easier to just use spores like we do now...

--------------------
"I have a sound mind, but I cannot seem to find it. Can someone please help me? For I seem to have lost my mind."
-SmokeyMcPot

"Yo, I'm Smokey and I'm the bomb. If you don't believe me then ask your mom! WHAT?!"
-SmokeyMcPot

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #3944680 - 03/20/05 03:10 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

IAmTheWalrus212 said:
Would it be possible to clone it or something of the sort in the event that all cubes went extinct for some horrible, horrible reason?

If all the cubes went extinct for some reason, we would probably be extinct too.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3944731 - 03/20/05 03:18 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

A well preserved Psilocybe cyubensis fromEasst bangkok, Thailand placed fresh in a jar of desiccant.

Check it out. It is on display at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok.

mj

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3945469 - 03/20/05 05:39 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

The one in the pic isn't dried, I used it for preservation about 2 hours after I originally picked it, although I'm sure dried would work just as well if not better. I also planned on preserving some dried amanita muscarias I had but due to a legal situation I encountered I was forced to throw my paraphernalia box out containing all my "goods".

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #3945712 - 03/20/05 06:35 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

where do you get casting resin and how do you do it? i have alot of cool things i would like to cast.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: durban_poison]
    #3945894 - 03/20/05 07:14 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

any hardware store or plastic shop, or boat shop. its usually poly resin, at least im assuming thats what he used. its teh resin used when fibreglassing...more or less.

cools stuff man! i was thinking of doing this too but i thought it may rot...but after a few years and still looking liek that i guess i was wrong. probably thinning the resin as much as you can would also help preserve it.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: kadakuda]
    #3945929 - 03/20/05 07:20 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

just look in any craft store or places kadakuda mentioned for the casting resin, you'll also need a catalyst liquid (should be near where the resin is sold, this is the part needed to make the resin harden up). as far as the instructions on using the resin, you'll find those on both the resin container and the catalyst bottle.

--------------------
Manoa said:

OfflinebOemius
Wild and freE

Loc: lalaland
    #3947614 - 03/21/05 04:25 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

very nice, one day you will have a very neat collection  :shocked: :laugh:

--------------------
share your gourmet prints with FSP

www.freesporeprints.org

it will share with everyone else

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: bOemius]
    #3948461 - 03/21/05 11:06 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Wow!! I've been curious about this sort of thing and now i see it on the internet! Can you post the method (s) used for archival purposes? Thanks.

http://tampabay-online.org

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3948887 - 03/21/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

well I ran out of casting resin catalyst a while back and haven't gotten anymore since. the basic idea involves placing the item you want preserved inside the resin, then you drop a specific amount of catalyst liquid and mix it up well so that it spreads evenly throughout the resin. this will cause the resin to heat up and eventually harden completely. the directions for this can be found on the casting resin bottle and catalyst liquid container as previously stated. it will most likely vary as to how much catalyst / resin you will use depending on the brand you buy. have fun i've enjoyed preserving many flowers and that mushroom with it =)

--------------------
Manoa said:

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #3950435 - 03/21/05 06:14 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

why preserve just the small dispensable cubies? someone should cast one of the freak-mutant monster cubes a happy shroomer will occasionally happen upon.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: TX Psilocybe Cube forever preserved [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #3951122 - 03/21/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

a larger specimen but most definitely have to be dried before being preserved...not sure how well that would turn out after its dried it might take some of the visual appeal away from the shroom but im sure it would be fun to see anyway

--------------------
Manoa said:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3951138 - 03/21/05 09:22 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

If you freeze dry it it will retain its large size and shape.. Dry ice is used in a large cannister with attached bottles and a generator sucks all the air out of the jars with the dyy ice leaving a whiffle-ball like weightless mushroom. The same size but no weight.

mj

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

#3951350 - 03/21/05 09:52 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

very nice mj, thanks for info

--------------------
Manoa said:

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3951523 - 03/21/05 10:20 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
If you freeze dry it it will retain its large size and shape.. Dry ice is used in a large cannister with attached bottles and a generator sucks all the air out of the jars with the dyy ice leaving a whiffle-ball like weightless mushroom. The same size but no weight.

mj

A bit more info - How this works is it creates a condition where the ice cannot melt. Due to the temperature and pressure combination it must go directly into a gas. So the cells have no opportunity to shrink as the water wafts away.

I've eaten some freeze dried foods... very odd sensation. The taste is preserved perfectly yet it's crunchy. IMO it would be fricken awesome if you could freeze-dry mushrooms and cast them in resin... preserving them forever.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags