Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebatou
artist

Loc: colorado
What the bleepdo we know?!?!
    #3947507 - 03/21/05 05:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

just saw this movie, wow!!!

any one else watch this?

please discuss while i watch it again.... :eek:

--------------------
The multiple troubles of man,
My brother, like slander and pain
Amaze you? Consider the heart
That holds them all in strangeness
And doesn't break.
"The Dude abides..."--jeffrey lebowski

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: What the bleepdo we know?!?! [Re: batou]
    #3947578 - 03/21/05 05:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That movie is propoganda for Ramtha. Ramtha is a "enlightened one" channeled by a person called J.Z Knight. She charges people $1500 to learn the secret knowledge of Ramtha. Be very wary of anything put out by this "cult". She is well known to be a fraud and every scientist included in this movie is a Ramtha follower. Here are a couple of reviews you might find interesting.

Cult Science
Dressing up mysticism as quantum physics

Popular Science/October 11, 2004
By Gregory Mone
Beware: A ridiculous new science movie is coming to a theater near you. What the #$*! Do We Know?, an independent film slated for national release this month, pretends to be an exploration of the grand questions of science, reality and life. It jumps between a fictional story about a divorced photographer and snippets of interviews with authoritative-looking individuals. Although several of them have big bookshelves in view behind them, it quickly becomes clear to the attentive viewer that few of these talking heads are making any sense. They speak of "infecting the quantum field" and refer to bio-body suits and antigravity magnets without explanation. Not until the credits roll, when the "experts" are finally introduced, do we learn that the two people who do most of the talking about neuroscience and physics are not actually scientists. One is a chiropractor. The other is a 35,000-year-old warrior named Ramtha, who is being "channeled" by a blonde woman from Washington. Oh, and the chiropractor is one of her devotees. As are the filmmakers. In short, what we've got here are the musings of a cult masquerading as a science documentary. If the movie even has a central message, it could best be summarized as, "We don't know #$*!"
Not everyone finds this amusing. One of the few legitimate academics in the film, David Albert, a philosopher of physics at Columbia University, is outraged at the final product. He says that he spent four hours patiently explaining to the filmmakers why quantum mechanics has nothing to do with consciousness or spirituality, only to see his statements edited and cut to the point where it appears as though he and the spirit warrior are speaking with one voice. "I was taken," Albert admits. "I was really gullible, but I learned my lesson." Yet the real shame with this film is that it plays on people's fascination with science while distorting and misrepresenting that science. Before its national release, the film packed theaters up and down the West Coast. Instead of stoking the curiosity of those moviegoers, What the #$*! numbed them with mindless quantum drivel.

What the #$*! Do They Know?
Directed by Mark Vicente, Betsy Chasse, and William Arntz. Lord of the Wind Films, 2004.

Skeptical Inquirer/September 2004
Reviewed by Eric Scerri
People who espouse New Age philosophies are not generally known for their knowledge of modern science or their respect for critical thinking. Ironically enough, though, when it comes to quantum mechanics, everything seems to change, and they embrace it wholeheartedly. Given half a chance, many of them have something to say on the subject. But what New Agers really seem to like about quantum mechanics is all those alleged bizarre effects that they mistakenly believe can be appropriated to support their views on the nature of reality and the cosmos.

It therefore comes as no surprise that the makers of a recent New Age movie making its way across the country decided to inject a massive dose of quantum mechanics into the film's storyline. What the #$*! Do We Know!? is packing them in. Many people who have seen the movie are already claiming that it has changed their lives. I tried to go to one of the first screenings in Los Angeles and was turned away because it was sold out. So what is this movie that uses quantum mechanics to change people's lives?

Filmed largely in Portland, the movie is a hodgepodge of all kinds of crackpot nonsense dressed up as modern science. The film oscillates between interviews with a number of so-called experts (especially in physics) and a rather flimsy storyline involving a deaf woman, played by Marlee Matlin, who is being encouraged to wake up and see life's full potential. A young basketball player who has taken it upon himself to enlighten her repeatedly asks her how far down the rabbit hole she wants to go.

An examination of the film's pedigree helps explain its peculiar approach. The three directors are students of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment in Yelm, Washington, which is run by New Age channeller J.Z. Knight. Knight claims to channel a 35,000-year-old warrior from ancient Lemuria named Ramtha (aka "The Enlightened One"), who dispenses wisdom through her. Ramtha's followers are said to include many people from the entertainment industry, such as actors Linda Evans, Don Johnson, Shirley MacLaine, and Richard Chamberlain. Knight herself appears in the film as one of the talking heads, and even holds forth on the subject of quantum mechanics.

Knight, who's been channeling her prehistoric alter ego since the 1970s, is paid as much as $1,500 by those who attend retreats held at her school.

I want to focus a little on the science, because this is where I believe the film is at its most disingenuous. Each of the physicists interviewed trots out a sound bite or two about how quantum mechanics supposedly shows that objects can be in two places at once, that matter is mostly empty space, or that all parts of the universe are deeply interconnected. The existence of a reality that's independent from the human mind as usually understood by scientists, or indeed by any rational person, is repeatedly assaulted to the point of being mocked. In addition, we are assured that when Columbus arrived on the shores of the Americas, the natives could not actually see his ships because it was beyond their paradigm of what could exist.

The fact that the science is being distorted and sensationalized here is not at all surprising. What puzzles me the most is that by making quantum mechanics the heart of the movie, the filmmakers have fallen prey to a crude form of reductionism which is usually regarded as the enemy of New Age ways of thinking. By focusing so much on basic physics, the filmmakers do not seem to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot. One moment they talk about all kinds of emergent phenomena, such as global consciousness, that go far beyond the reductionist worldview. The next moment they seem to suggest that the physics of fundamental particles explains human behavior! Even if we grant that quantum mechanics tells us that particles can be at two places at once-which, of course, it does not-how can one then assume that such bizarre effects work their way right up to macroscopic dimensions with no attenuation in order to determine human behavior? As many scientists and philosophers now realize, even if matter is fundamentally governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, this does not entitle us to suppose that chemical and biological phenomena will follow those same forms of behavior. This is to say nothing of even larger leaps such as the question of whether human behavior is dictated by the laws of physics.

Reductionism works in principle but not in practice, even though all the branches of science are interrelated. If you want to perform a certain chemical reaction, you ask a chemist. You do not ask a quantum physicist, although, in many instances, the quantum physicists may have some very helpful things to say on the matter. If you want to study biological organisms, you do experiments on the biological scale instead of renting time at the local particle accelerator. The breakdown of strict reductionism has become common knowledge among scientists, and yet Amit Goswami, John Hagelin, and Fred Alan Wolf, to mention just three from the film, have not caught up with this way of thinking about science. They prefer to remain within the old-fashioned paradigm that supposes that everything is indeed nothing but physics. This is not entirely surprising, given that each of them earns money writing books about popular physics laced with allusions to Eastern mysticism and the "really big questions in life." But now their knowledge of quantum mechanics is even allowing them to become movie stars and, better still, in a movie that is changing people's lives!

After dazzling the audience with dubious pronouncements from quantum physics, the storyline returns to Marlee Matlin's character, who is having an ever-increasing number of mind-expanding experiences, culminating in her realization that she no longer needs her prescription pills and that she can toss them into a lake. What a pity that the appreciation of modern science shown by New Agers is restricted to the more esoteric parts which are seen as supporting their worldviews. Meanwhile, something as beneficial (and mundane) as modern pharmacology is viewed with utter contempt to the point that people are effectively being told to throw away their prescription drugs and to cure themselves by waking up to the real meaning of life.

--------------------

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3947658 - 03/21/05 07:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Everything Fractal Dust said. They try to be real sneaky about not talking too much about the whole Ramtha cult aspect, but all 3 directors are Ramtha cult members. Also the name is designed so that when you tell people the name of the movie it makes you feel retarted.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: What the bleepdo we know?!?! [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3947681 - 03/21/05 07:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am Ramtha. I am a 35,000 year old warrior from ancient Lemuria. Lemuria. What's that you ask? It's a name I made up. HAHAHA.
You don't know what it's like!!!!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!
Breakin the law!

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3948022 - 03/21/05 10:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I saw a few clips of this... it's just a bunch of nonsense... then I heard that it's produced by some wacky cult/new age religious group, and thought "Oh, that explains it".

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: What the bleepdo we know?!?! [Re: Phluck]
    #3948111 - 03/21/05 11:11 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I saw the film. It was embarassing, because it diluted a lot of beautiful truths with apalling scientific distortions and misrepresentations. At the very first moment Ramtha appeared on screen, I knew I had been swindled out of my eight dollars. Something about her screams "fraud". Like Sylvia Browne, only less convincing.

Don't see the movie. Read Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra instead.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinebatou
artist

Loc: colorado
Re: What the bleepdo we know?!?! [Re: Ped]
    #3949396 - 03/21/05 04:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

lol, after a second watch i basically came to the same conclusion, though they do drop some REAL science that tests true there are many points that are just foolish, it was definitely entertaining but cannot just be passed as fact. as for Ramatha WTF?!? if this was to be passed as a scientific movie then why include a "Mystic"? mysticism is not science. meh... the initial wow was more of a "this is interesting and it got my mind going" not a wow of "holy crap i found the grail" --just wanted to make that clear. ideas focusing on such subjects need to be taken with a grain of salt, just as well as with M theory/ string theory.

--------------------
The multiple troubles of man,
My brother, like slander and pain
Amaze you? Consider the heart
That holds them all in strangeness
And doesn't break.
"The Dude abides..."--jeffrey lebowski

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology