Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelilbilski4life
fear andloathing inbozeman

are u proud to be a American citizen?
    #3944325 - 03/20/05 02:07 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

are u proud to be a American citizen
are u proud to be a American citizen
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (03/08/05 12:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
------------------------------------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelilbilski4life
fear andloathing inbozeman

Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: lilbilski4life]
    #3944333 - 03/20/05 02:09 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

i am, but i don't support this country right now cus were in a pointless war

--------------------
------------------------------------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3945405 - 03/20/05 05:26 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

In spite of all the shit this country does nowadays, I still say yes. I believe in the principles that our forefathers fought for. I feel privileged to live in such a country. I feel we've fallen a long way, but I think there's still hope.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3946038 - 03/20/05 07:40 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
In spite of all the shit this country does nowadays, I still say yes. I believe in the principles that our forefathers fought for. I feel privileged to live in such a country. I feel we've fallen a long way, but I think there's still hope.

Ditto, I feel the same way. We should be fighting for "regime change" here at home instead of the Middle East. We need to get back on track-- the Founding Fathers, I think, would be disgusted by what's been going on here with both our domestic and foreign policies.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3946750 - 03/20/05 10:03 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Sure, the founding fathers wrote some great principals.. on paper. They were really a thing to be patriotic about.

Anti royalist weren't they? Kinda funny then how they belonged to the royal secret society. Kinda weird how they fought the war of independence against the royals then. Kinda weird how that American heaven was systematically ushered out and this new one is still praised because they still call it 'America'

kinda makes me sigh painfully

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: faslimy]
    #3946760 - 03/20/05 10:07 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

You know, you really should get checked out for schizophrenia. I'm worried about you, man.

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3946769 - 03/20/05 10:09 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

You reckon? shit, maybe the CIA came round and programmed my mind to do assasinations for them

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: faslimy]
    #3947271 - 03/21/05 01:29 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

faslimy said:
Sure, the founding fathers wrote some great principals.. on paper. They were really a thing to be patriotic about.

Anti royalist weren't they? Kinda funny then how they belonged to the royal secret society.

Although they were opposed to the idea of having a king, I think a more important goal for the Founding Fathers in bringing about the Revolution was the fact that they were tired of being subject to the rule of a government across the ocean in which they had ZERO representation ("No taxation without representation," the Boston Tea Party, and all that jazz.) The American revolution was different from the French in that it was not driven nearly so much by a hatred of royalty brougtht about by years of oppression, poverty, and class separation, as much as it was driven by a desire for autonomy from a meddling government far away that was not allowing the Colonies to participate in representative democracy.

And what royal secret society are you talking about? Please enighten me. So what if most of the Founding Fathers were "landed gentry" and had a decent amount of collective money, power, and some land. The people with money back then (and unfotunately still now to some degree) also had the educaton, and so it would stand to reason that these guys would be the ones gathering together to draft a Declaration of Independence and then craft a brilliant outline for a representative democray in the Constitution.

Don't shit on the Framers of our Constitution. Their work has a hell of a lot of merit both on and off paper, IMHO.

And to the folks who vote NO and say they are not proud to be Americans: You need to seriously ask yourself why the hell you are still a citizen of this country then. If you are embarrassed to call yourself an American, then either fight for some change so you can be proud again, or get the f*ck out and get some citizenship somewhere else where you can be proud. But don't sit around here and reap the benefits that living in America has to offer, whilst saying you're embarrassed to be here. That's hypocrisy of the highest order.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/21/05 01:48 AM)

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3949222 - 03/21/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

I'm proud of being American as a whole. Although, I'm a bit disgusted by the current political climate and parts of history (slavery, Indian massacres, etc)

MANTIS' SUPER DUPER NATIONALISM SCALE

[proud]------X---------------------[ashamed]

I'm about right on that X

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3954207 - 03/22/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I am proud of what this country was based on, and the extraordinary potential it had, and still has to an extent.

I am not proud, for the most part, of the condition it is in today. It needs to be restored before its full potential for freedom can shine, rather than just jailing its own citizens and pissing people off around the world.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineETetc
Stranger
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: Ravus]
    #3958437 - 03/23/05 09:15 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I am proud to be an American, but "my country right or wrong" are truly the words of a traitor. If we do not stand up for what we believe then we lose what it means to be free which includes a duty to respect the freedom of others first before we can expect the same for ourselves. Not speaking the truth is the opposite of speaking the truth, if we do not speak to our ideals and hopes and visions for the good, we fall short and do not give ourselves or our country the respect it deserves from its appreciative citizens. We must not give up what makes this country great which is the freedom of its people to speak up for change and work for the human justice and goodness we hold so dear.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3962614 - 03/23/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I'm not proud to be American, because I was born here. I'm suspicious of people saying they are proud of the country they were born in. It's not like they chose to live there. It's usually just cultural indoctrination. If they were born in Norway they'd probably be proud to be Norwegian too. Patriotism and nationalism just don't make sense to me.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: moog]
    #3963230 - 03/24/05 01:19 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I have to say Moog is completely right its just like religion when small children are forced into church they almost always take the bait when if they had waited till they were say 18 to be exposed to religion most would laugh at the masses of idiots who believe in a fairy tale. I think america is moving in the wrong direction(more to the right, and a quiet deteriation of seperation of church and state.), and your right basidio carp, Ill be leaving some day, as soon as I can afford it. Straight to Canada. Believe me Im only here because I got no where else I can go at the moment. America is the land of INTOLERANCE. not freedom. Thats all I got to say. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3963307 - 03/24/05 01:42 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I suppose in some ways. But I'd rather just look past where we're from and all of that stuff, it doesn't matter.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
    #3966361 - 03/24/05 07:51 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

not at all
"each day thousands of children die from starvation, while the U.S. spends millions to drop bombs on 'brown countries'"

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #3970381 - 03/25/05 08:50 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

No, America sucks.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: i_rage_against]
    #3970395 - 03/25/05 08:59 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

i_rage_against said:
not at all
"each day thousands of children die from starvation, while the U.S. spends millions to drop bombs on 'brown countries'"

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I'm not thrilled with the US's hawkish, militaristic, and neoconservative approach to foreign policy either, but let's give some credit where credit is due. In 2003, my country (the USA) provided over 2.5 BILLION dollars just in food aid alone (grants and loans) to the rest of the world. Check here for some official stats if you want. I don't think this includes the many private donors based in the USA that also contribute huge sums of money to humanitarian causes around the globe (Bill & Melinda Gates come to mind).

I haven't done the research, but would a representative of another country like to come forward with some stats that show that their state has given more food aid to the rest of the world than the USA has?

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/25/05 09:03 PM)

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3970416 - 03/25/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Each day thousands of Americans rot in prison for living lifestyles that the gov. doesn't agree with, all the while our gov. talks a bunch of shit about our country being free. That's what really pisses me off....America is a fraud.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3970487 - 03/25/05 09:38 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
Each day thousands of Americans rot in prison for living lifestyles that the gov. doesn't agree with, all the while our gov. talks a bunch of shit about our country being free. That's what really pisses me off....America is a fraud.

Hey Dark_Star, what have you done lately to help change the laws that are putting people in jail for reasons that you disagree with? I'm going to assume that you live in the USA, and therefore I'm going to remind you that our country *IS* free. Just because there is legislation in effect that you disagree with does not change that fact. We as citizens are free to change elected officials and to change laws. But you have to get off your finger-pointing, complacent ass and do something if you don't like the way things are going.

America is not a fraud. Citizens that sit around bitching and complaining about what they don't like about the USA while doing NOTHING to change things are the real frauds in this democracy.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: are u proud to be a American citizen? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3971038 - 03/25/05 11:40 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Basidiocarp said:
America is not a fraud. Citizens that sit around bitching and complaining about what they don't like about the USA while doing NOTHING to change things are the real frauds in this democracy.

wow. well said, that really makes me think.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom