Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Loc: southwest tennessee, USA
Various disinfectant chemicals
    #3944073 - 03/20/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It would be really helpful if we could disinfect our cakes/casings directly without having to kill mycelia in the process!

Now there are many different antimicrobial/bacteriostatical chemicals available to the amateur mycologist today, some obviously more suited for contact with 'shrooms than others. But which will kill our crops and which are safe?

Bleach is obviously a no-no. Not only will it kill your cakes but it may cause you harm as well!
Hydrogen peroxide, if I recall, is not only safe to your 'shrooms but it breaks down completely within a few hours, leaving only water.
Alcohol, such as high proof isopropanol and dnCOH are most likely toxic to your cakes as well, though I find that exposing them to just the vapor (of ispropanol) is OK.
Now how about quat, say 5%? i.e. benzalkonium ammonium chloride and its various analogs (such as (di)ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride). It is nothing more than a detergent, a bacteriostat. Will a low-concentration solution of quat misted onto cakes cause them more harm than just ddH2O would? Is it ok to wipe down a case with quat and birth the cakes while it is still wet?

The only problem I can forsee with quat is your final product having a faintly soapy taste!! :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Various disinfectant chemicals [Re: McNewbie]
    #3944208 - 03/20/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, if you do some research, I think I remember reading that bleach isn't all that bad for mycelium in low concentrations.  Don't take my word for it though

As to the benzalkonium ammonium chloride, it may have some anti-fungal properties (and no anti-mold properties(?)) so that's out too.  Plus 5% is way too high anyways...I think they use less than 1% in clinical settings.  Check out some info in this link:
http://www.sanofi-synthelabo.us/products/pi_zephiran/pi_zephiran.html

I say stick to the basics and stay as organic as possible :kodama:

--Aeolus

OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Loc: southwest tennessee, USA
Re: Various disinfectant chemicals [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #3946678 - 03/20/05 11:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

How about germicidal UV lights? Or aerosolized triethylene/propylene glycol (i.e. Ozium air freshener)?

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Various disinfectant chemicals [Re: McNewbie]
    #3948339 - 03/21/05 12:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Do you want to just sterilize casing tins and such before applying colonized substrate/spawn or are you actually talking about sterilizing your colonized cakes/casings?

UV light kills germs but it also mutates mushrooms in a bad way. I've never heard of the latter.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation