Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
I need MP3 player help
    #3943040 - 03/20/05 07:35 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

1. How do I use Windows Media player to take a cd track (in .wma format) to .mp3? I want to know how to transfer any sound file format into any other sound file format(wav's to mp3's, etc...). I want to be able to transfer my songs off of my CD's and into a format that is small yet still sounds good(has a decently high bit rate).

2. I got the brand new Samsung YH-925 GS player. It can be used as an MP3 player and an external hard drive. Unfortunately, it appears as if those two things are seperate. By this I mean when you plug the player into your USB port, two drives show up. Obviously these two drives are both located on the player. One drive functions just like a hard drive(you can drag and drop, copy, etc..).

The other drive is the "music" drive. When you try to access it, it automatically loads up the Napster program that comes with the player. This pretty much means that I am forced to use this Napster program in order to put music onto my player. What if I don't want to use it to put music on there? I should be able to just drag and drop mp3's onto my player and they should work. Instead it looks as if I am "locked" into the Napster program. What if Napster goes out of business in the next year or so and they don't update their software...and I get a new computer that doesn't support this old Napster software? Blammo....I can't import music to my MP3 player anymore.

I don't want to have to deal with software programs. I should be able to use the music aspect of the MP3 player just like a hard drive. There shouldn't be this extra shit with it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

P.S. I should note that I have absolutely no interest in getting MP3's off of the internet. I merely want to put my CD collection on my player.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/20/05 08:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: I need MP3 player help [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3943287 - 03/20/05 08:36 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

1. I personally think WMP sucks for ripping. I use and recommend EAC + LAME or ogg (if your player supports ogg, of course). If you're going to spend hour after hour of ripping, you might as well make them quality. You can use lower bitrate settings if you are interested in smaller file sizes. Just remember that the quality of a encoding is not just dependent on what bitrate you select - the quality of the encoder itself greatly affects the rip. WMP encoders (both their .wma and .mp3 encoders) are not good and only those unfamiliar with the ins and outs of ripping use it. Learn EAC (or CDex if you want something easy to use - EAC is a bit more complicated, but not bad), download/install, and use a LAME encoder - found here: http://mitiok.cjb.net/ - if you need a recommendation for a LAME command line, let me know. I personally just stick with alt preset standard.

2. I have an iRiver H340 and it is also serves as an external harddrive. I can easily drag and drop files onto it (music and otherwise). Just besure to emulate the basic file structure (i.e. put the music where it belongs). Uninstall that crap software...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: I need MP3 player help [Re: Vvellum]
    #3943364 - 03/20/05 09:01 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Here's an update:

I initially thought that two drives showed up when you plugged in the player. I was wrong. Only one does.

Here's the thing.... All of the directories that hold the music are hidden. When you open the drive (in "My Computer" or something) to see what is on it, only a few non-hidden directories pop up. If you go to the command prompt those same two non-hidden directories pop up. But.....if you do a "dir /s /p" you get a listing of all of the directories and files on the player. The music area is accessible in the command prompt. You can copy from and too those directories. Unfortunately, with Windows XP it seems as if directories are not named what THEY ACTUALLY FUCKING ARE in the command prompt anymore. For example: If you are on C:\> in the command prompt and you do a "dir" and it shows you a directory called "My Music". "My Music" is not the actual name of the fucking directory. So when you type in "CD My Music" it will be invalid. "CD My.Music" or "CD MY~Music" etc... won't work. It's like you can't access the directories in the command prompt anymore.

Also unfortunately.....the music directories on the player are hidden in Windows. So...if you are doing stuff in windows(ripping and copying for instance) you cannot access those directories. You HAVE to use their fucking Napster software. They must have struck a deal with Napster to where they made their player unusable to most novice people if they didn't use the Napster software.

So, I either have to use the Napster software(which I do not want to fucking do), or figure out a way to "go through the back door" and do this on my own.

I absolutely do not want to be beholden to a particular software program to make my mp3 player work. What if Napster goes out of business and never updates their software? What if I get a new computer and my old Napster software doesn't work with it? My MP3 player would be fucking useless then. As it is now, I don't even like this Napster program. It is cumbersome and annoying.

The digital media world is constantly changing. I don't want to get stuck with something that is beholden to a particular software program. I don't want something that could become obsolete in a year. I spent 300 some bucks on this thing. I want it to be easy to use, forever workable, and compatible with everything.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/20/05 09:16 AM)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3943435 - 03/20/05 09:24 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

you should take it back and not support companys that force using a specfic program (that just so happens to sell music) to use your mp3 players. you should have read reviews at www.cnet.com or other similar sites and you would have known these problems before you bought it. the iriver h320/40 is a really good player and you can play .avi on them if you get the korean firmware.

also did you unhide folders? under control panel tools> folder options> view tab> show hidden files and folders.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Edited by John (03/20/05 09:31 AM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: I need MP3 player help [Re: John]
    #3943519 - 03/20/05 09:52 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Well well well....more bad news.

I ran the Napster program and moved a music file onto the player. It played on the player just fine. Now, I am wondering if I can "back door" this player and not have to use the Napster program.

I made all directories unhidden. I found where the music files on the player were. I tried to move music files to that directory. The music files are in the directory(and hence on the player) but when you go to play them on the player they don't show up. I then tried to change the name of the song that I legitametely moved to the player with the Napster program. I did this on my computer. My reasoning was that if I changed the name of it and then loaded it up on the player, the name should show up as the new name. It didn't. That pretty much means that you can't "back door" this player. You HAVE to use the Napster program.

I am taking it back. This is bullshit. Also, this damn thing does not have a stop button. How fucking lame is that?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3943550 - 03/20/05 10:00 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Dammit! This sucks. I just want an MP3 player than isn't as big as a fucking tank, will work forever, is durable, will not become obsolete, has no special software, SHOWS UP AS A HARD DRIVE WHEN PLUGGED IN(and allows you to see and do anything you want to that hard drive), sounds good, and holds a decent amount of music.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/20/05 10:06 AM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: I need MP3 player help [Re: John]
    #3946317 - 03/20/05 08:38 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Ok...I found out some more stuff:

As anybody knows who has been reading this thread, I found the directory where the music goes for the mp3 player. I also found out that the player forces you to use the Napster program to transfer music to it.

I found the "data" file that tells the player what songs are "officially on the player" (the ones that were transferred onto it with Napster). I cannot alter this data file because it has some weird code in it. But, it has enough text that I can tell it is the file that tells the player what MP3's are on it. So, it is official....this player will only download or delete music if you use this Napster program.

Does anybody have an idea for a player that does not force you into a specific software program? I want one that as long as you have the proper file structure and placement it will recognize and play the songs.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3946356 - 03/20/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
Learn EAC (or CDex if you want something easy to use - EAC is a bit more complicated, but not bad), download/install, and use a LAME encoder - found here: http://mitiok.cjb.net/ - if you need a recommendation for a LAME command line, let me know. I personally just stick with alt preset standard.

I downloaded CDeX and it works great. It is easy to change sound files of certain formats to other formats. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

What does LAME do? I don't understand what it is.

Quote:

2. I have an iRiver H340 and it is also serves as an external harddrive. I can easily drag and drop files onto it (music and otherwise). Just besure to emulate the basic file structure (i.e. put the music where it belongs). Uninstall that crap software...

I heard that the iRiver H320 and H340 are very difficult to understand. I heard of people reading the manuals for weeks and barely being able to run the things(according to Amazon.com reviews). I was hoping for something fairly easy to use and intuitive.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/20/05 08:49 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3946981 - 03/20/05 11:27 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Another concern I have:

I want to use any MP3 player I get as a hard drive and put pics from my digital camera onto it. I of course can easily download my pics from the camera onto my computer and then move then onto the MP3 player....but that would kind of defeat the purpose because I could just leave them on the computer. I am afraid that if I get an MP3 player and a digital camera and I hook them up together nothing will happen. I don't want to have to lug my computer around to have to get pictures onto my MP3 player. If I hook an MP3 player and a digital camera together will the MP3 player automatically suck all of the pictures out of the camera?

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3947148 - 03/21/05 12:40 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

cool. yeah cdex is great. lame is just an encoder - probably the best mp3 encoder. cdex comes with one version of lame (see options>settings>encoder). the best version of lame would be 3.96.1 found here: http://mitiok.cjb.net - put it in the cdex folder, select external encoder, browse to its location, and enter --alt-preset standard %s %d in parameter string - this is, of course, if you want a higher mp3 quality. if not, just use the lame that comes with cdex.

the h3xx is not difficult to use - I mean, if you're an idiot, maybe it is. If you play around with it for a day or so, you can have it figured it. The way it works is not unlike windows - you have a directory and a listing of folders with your music in them...My h340 does everything I want (music, recording, movies, picture viewer, line in/out, drag & drop files, no need for software...). The h3xx series has been discontinued, so they will be increasily difficult to obtain. I recommend it. A good place to visit is the mistic river forums: http://www.misticriver.net/

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3947156 - 03/21/05 12:43 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

in order for that to be possible, you need to find a player that is USB-On-The-Go enabled. the H3xx series has it, but it is disabled for some reason on the US version. dont really know why..but the Euro and Korean version have it. Just plug your camera into the player and dump your pics onto it...and then delete the pics on your camera to save room. pics can then be viewed on the h3xx. cool shit - supposedly there is a hack that'll allow you to get USBOTG to work on US versions...havent tried it - see mistic river forums for info.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3947163 - 03/21/05 12:45 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I suspect the reason why you cannot play the music is because your player is database-dependent. your player doesnt just play music as you select it, it reads the database file and then finds the music. Without a database (what happens when you just drag music onto it), the music files "dont exist."

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
    #3957987 - 03/23/05 04:41 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I have a Sandisk 1gb MP3 player and it's awesome. It shows up as a hard drive, is usb 2.0 compliant, and gets great battery life. 4 line, backlit display, and they're cheap as hell. Good sound quality, but the stock headphones sorta suck ass.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale