Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Sleep: why does it elude me?
    #3941974 - 03/19/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I have a problem...I haven't gotten more then a few hours rest in more then 48 hours.  My eyes are bugging out and my arms are shaking.  I was exhausted about 8 hours ago so I tried to sleep and all I did was toss and turn.  For 8 hours.  I might have gotten some sleep but I don't remember.  I don't know.  I feel hideously unrested.  I've always had trouble getting to sleep so I've used pot to help.  It helps me drift off like a baby.  But I'm lowering my pot use, so any suggestions about what I can do to help myself go to sleep?  :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: MOTH]
    #3942317 - 03/19/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Do some stretching or yoga an hour before you go to bed, being sure to stretch your back and leg muscles.

Don't drink any caffine on the same day you want to sleep.

gtg hope you get to sleep bye!

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3942347 - 03/19/05 11:56 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3942362 - 03/20/05 12:01 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

use sleeping pills ... or drink a beer...or both...i have the same problem and i now take xanx..but if before i had them i took sleeping pills..hope you get some sleep soon...

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3942645 - 03/20/05 02:21 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

honestly, just do some manual labor. whenever i do alot of manual labor, i sleep like a baby. dont go the pill route. i think humans were meant to move and then sleep. if you dont move (aka labor) then you have no reason to sleep from a physical standpoint.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: automan]
    #3942786 - 03/20/05 03:58 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

When I stop or even cut down on puffing I find it hard to sleep. If you want to quit then sweat through a sleepless week or so then you will be back to normal. :cool:

--------------------

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#3943399 - 03/20/05 09:11 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

drugs, be they pot or legal medication, are good for getting sleep on one-off occations when you can't sleep, but i wouldn't get dependent on them for sleeping.

the worst thing you can do is lie in bed tossing and turning for hours. if you've been there for more than like 2 hours, get up and do something and try sleeping again later.

i find going for a short walk before i go to bed helps.

Edited by alsey (03/20/05 12:41 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3944617 - 03/20/05 02:59 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
I have a problem...I haven't gotten more then a few hours rest in more then 48 hours.  My eyes are bugging out and my arms are shaking.  I was exhausted about 8 hours ago so I tried to sleep and all I did was toss and turn.  For 8 hours.  I might have gotten some sleep but I don't remember.  I don't know.  I feel hideously unrested.  I've always had trouble getting to sleep so I've used pot to help.  It helps me drift off like a baby.  But I'm lowering my pot use, so any suggestions about what I can do to help myself go to sleep?  :frown:

it is the change.. we are returning to the dream we live in..

you know.. if i tell someone, "hey tonight, i dreamed, i shot you in the head and could fly" any one say. OK.. ..it was a dream. you lay in bed. asleep, flying. and it is perfectly sane..

if i tell someone, "hey i think we ARE dreaming this, i dreamed, i woke up in my dream, i could shoot you in the head and i can fly" it off course is insane.. (even if i said, i can not fly before you, before you let it happen, which make it sound even more crazy to some..)

anyways.. if you can not sleep, it is because you can not sleep.. and you do that so strong, it over-ideas all else, stop believing it, even if you did not believe it. stop believing it, even still..

I know what you are talking about here i think, as i work, building houses, i spent all day making a hole in concrete floor, ( had to fix stupid mistake by some other dude, he managed to drive a stake through the pluming.. and we found it using a camera) anyways, you get the picture? i was so tired, i almost fell asleep on the floor, but newer the less, i could not sleep. it was and is not easy to do. but me think, the day a human consciously go to sleep, and not "shut of" all humans will awaken. so my bet on this is. you are getting to close to the 'truth' of actuality, and need to lay back on that knowledge you posses, stop believing in you-self, even if you do not be-live in yourself. not like you imagine you believed it.. just say to yourself, for no reason, "I do not believe myself, i am probably already asleep, dreaming i can not sleep.." something. hahah

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineEarthAngel
Tripper

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: Gomp]
    #3947154 - 03/21/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Valerian, kava kava, or magnesium could all help.

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: EarthAngel]
    #3948319 - 03/21/05 10:26 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

common problem when reducing pot.

try running or doing any other activity that can get you really exhausted and 30 minutes before going to bed drink a relaxing tea like valerian or chamomile. if you don't like tea you can try hot milk, but with no chocolate.

you can also try reading. when I'm tired it puts me off in no time.

hope you succeed!

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: a_h_w]
    #3971029 - 03/25/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

If you want to go the supplement route I highly suggest trying GABA. It is an amino acid and also a neurotransmitter. It definitely brings on natural sleep and a tranquil feeling when you take it. I take it often and you can build up a tolerance to it but it will still aid in helping you sleep even with the tolerance. I have found that I am not dependent on it at all and I can still sleep easily without it. It is sold in powder and capsule form at vitamin stores and bodybuilding sites. If you want to order some online this is a good source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/gaba.html

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #3977282 - 03/27/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Benadryl. That stuff is the same active ingrediant as over the counter sleeping pills, except I think those come in 500mg pills instead of 250. I used to have a job in inventory (counting shirts) where I had to be there at 3:30 AM and so I'd always take one (Benny's as my best freind's girlfreind calls them) in the afternoon.

The only problem is if you are thinking about alot of heavy stuff, the drowsyness can make you semi-delirious about what you are thinking about.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3978012 - 03/27/05 09:55 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Yeah just do some manual labor. You can't sleep if you aren't tired.

And having sex would probably work really well too. You're married right?

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #3991441 - 03/30/05 04:45 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

PowerTrip said:
If you want to go the supplement route I highly suggest trying GABA.  It is an amino acid and also a neurotransmitter.  It definitely brings on natural sleep and a tranquil feeling when you take it.  I take it often and you can build up a tolerance to it but it will still aid in helping you sleep even with the tolerance.  I have found that I am not dependent on it at all and I can still sleep easily without it.  It is sold in powder and capsule form at vitamin stores and bodybuilding sites.  If you want to order some online this is a good source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/gaba.html

How much GABA do you take to achieve a noticable effect? The general consensus among the medical community nowadays is that OTC GABA is almost entirely ineffective, because almost all of it is destroyed in the stomach, and thus doesn't pass the BBB and affect the levels of GABA.

Elle: Most sleep-aids, be they herbal or OTC or pharmaceutical may be helpful once in a while, but they also decrease the quality of sleep. Suggestions such as doing some aerobic exercise and walking during the day are good ones, as is establishing a good sleep cycle. Perhaps eating some turkey or having a warm glass of milk and a banana before bed and then reading for a while (reading a painfully boring book has always helped me fall asleep) would also help.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: dblaney]
    #3991563 - 03/30/05 05:21 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

1) Stay off of stimulants; sugar, caffeine, meth, etc..
2) Tire yourself out
3) Drink some booze/depressants
4) Reduce your stress
5) Read an enyclopedia and/or another form of dry readin right before you go to bed, with dim lighting.... typically this works to distract you to sleep to the point of boredom (unless you like it, works on many people)
6) :shrug: Induce insomnia on yourself by forcibly keeping a tired schedule by keeping yourself awake. You'll be that much more prone to sleep as a result.
7) If you're liberal and/or objective about your political affiliation watch Fox News and laugh yourself to sleep.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: dblaney]
    #3997192 - 03/31/05 07:26 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

How much GABA do you take to achieve a noticable effect? The general consensus among the medical community nowadays is that OTC GABA is almost entirely ineffective, because almost all of it is destroyed in the stomach, and thus doesn't pass the BBB and affect the levels of GABA.

I have also read that GABA taken orally is supposed to be ineffective, but based on my first hand experience I have to say that this is not the case. When I first began using it I only needed about 2-3 grams. After using it for over one month, nearly every day, I now need about 5 grams to achieve a similar effect. You know that it is working because it feels as if you have taken a tranquilizer. It is definitely not a placebo effect. I should also note that I found not all of the different brands of GABA powder are the same. The AST brand seemed much more potent than the one I am using now.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3997541 - 03/31/05 08:26 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

I've been taking valerian for about 3 weeks now. It takes a week for it to work. I can honestly say that the 2nd week was the best. This past week was alittle hectic, I haven't been keeping the same schedule as the week before...so my sleep has been disrupted. Hopefully with the kids back to school next week the valerian will kick in again.

I've heard melatonin works well too

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4023725 - 04/06/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've used 2 Valerian root capsules alone, or with a few tokes of Passion Flower. I've also used (last night) just a few tokes of Passion Flower. Lately, we've been taking just 1 mg of Melatonin 20-30 minutes before sleep is desired. There is some grogginess upon awakening, but one falls asleep and stays asleep all night. It seems to last for days in my system, but then I'm old and I have a deficit of Melatonin production due to age.

Alcohol may put one out initially, but it interferes with a normal REM sleep pattern and one may awaken too early. I do not like the 'dirty' effect of Xanax, even .5 mg on my system, and I've never used Bromides or other OTC sleep preparations. Using cough medicine is just unhealthy junkie behavior in my opinion.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinedrunkencoyote
SpiritualAdvisor
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Sleep: why does it elude me? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4059532 - 04/15/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I suggest some hydroxy tryptophan which you should be able to buy at your local GNC place.It is a seratonin precusor and might help your condition,ofcourse you should make sure this supplement won't interfere with any meds you take or any medical condition you may have.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4060774 - 04/15/05 10:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you need to relax.
you worry about shit too much.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder