Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Loc: Texas
TEXANS: Super Important Action Alert! This it it! E-Mail or call ALL committee members!
    #3869850 - 03/04/05 07:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

On Tuesday, the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee will hear
testimony on H.B. 254, which would reduce the penalty for possession
of one ounce or less of marijuana to the equivalent of a traffic
ticket. Chances like this don't come around too often in Texas. So,
let's show our support.

There are three things you can do to help.

1. Pack the room.

We need supportive -- and appropriately dressed -- activists
to attend the hearing. The more supporters we have, the more
lawmakers will realize that this is an issue that simply
won't go away. The hearing will be held in Austin in room
E2.016 in the capitol building on March 8, at 2:00 p.m.
Please e-mail mmckey@mpp.org if you are interested in
testifying.

2. Urge the committee members to support the bill.

Please visit http://mpp.org/TX/action.html to use our
electronic system to send a letter to the committee members
supporting H.B. 254.
It takes only a moment, but it can make
a huge difference. Or, if you prefer to call these
legislators, visit
https://ssl.capwiz.com/mpp/dbq/officials/?lvl=L to find their
names and numbers. And visit
http://mpp.org/TX/letters_81.html to get talking points.

State legislators truly do listen to their constituents.
According to former U.S. Congressman Billy Evans (D-GA),
"Legislators estimate that 10 letters from constituents
represent the concerns of 10,000 citizens. Anybody who will
take the time to write is voicing the fears and desires of
thousands more."

http://mpp.org/TX/action.html

3. Pass this alert on to your friends and family and tell them
to repeat steps one through three.

H.B. 254, introduced by Rep. Harold Dutton (D-Houston), would spare
those possessing small amounts of marijuana from having to serve jail
time. The bill would make possession of less than one ounce of
marijuana a Class C misdemeanor. Under current law, possession of
less than two ounces of marijuana is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable
by up to six months in jail.

(Please visit http://www.mpp.org/TX/bills_1006.html to see the bill.)

Commenting on H.B. 254, Rep. Dutton stated that Texas has "been tough
on crime for the last decade or so, and now it's time to be a little
bit smart on crime."

Thank you for supporting the Marijuana Policy Project. With enough
citizen pressure, March 8 will mark a significant turning point in
Texas' marijuana policies.

Edited by Lothar121 (03/04/05 07:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: TEXANS: Super Important Action Alert! This it it! E-Mail or call ALL committee members! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3881997 - 03/07/05 09:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Tomorrow is the day, so if you haven't already, send your letters in and make sure your friends and family do as well while spreading the word to as many Texans as possible!

OfflineSlackerKM
Unusual suspect

Re: TEXANS: Super Important Action Alert! This it it! E-Mail or call ALL committee members! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3882185 - 03/07/05 11:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is vitally important, even for people outside Texas! It only takes a couple of states to get the ball rolling nationwide.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: TEXANS: Super Important Action Alert! This it it! E-Mail or call ALL committee members! [Re: SlackerKM]
    #3882198 - 03/07/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Common Texans, I knew you were good for something!

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: TEXANS: Super Important Action Alert! This it it! E-Mail or call ALL committee members! [Re: DNKYD]
    #3883431 - 03/07/05 04:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you can't make it to Austin, you can watch the video live:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/media/welcome.php
It will be Livestream 8 Tuesday, 2:00pm or upon adj. 03/08/05 - Criminal Jurisprudence

Make sure you have spread the action alert to all your friends and family to have them email/call the committee!

http://www.mpp.org/TX/action.html This is the link to spread. Running short on time so Texans make use of the time we have and get as many people as possible to send their emails out today. :smile:

Wish us luck and thanks to everyone in advance for putting out the effort!

Edited by Lothar121 (03/07/05 04:13 PM)

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Bill postponed restructuring sentences for pot [Re: Lothar121]
    #3892009 - 03/09/05 09:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

From Grits on HB 254, it's not dead yet!:

Thanks to the school finance debate, the Texas House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee did not hear HB 254 yesterday, as Grits previously predicted. That legislation, filed by Rep. Harold Dutton, D-Houston, would restructure sentences for the lowest-level marijuana possession offenses to mandate fines instead of incarceration. The proposal would generate new revenue and free up much-needed space in county jails across the state.

The delay doesn't say anything about the relative chances for the bill's passage -- the committee just never got to meet.

See the fact sheet reformers are using to promote the bill, plus prior Grits coverage.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
NORML's update. Get those letters in before the next hearing! Spread the word! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3893280 - 03/09/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Dear Friends,

We regret to inform you that yesterday's scheduled hearing on House Bill 254, a proposal to amend penalties for the minor possession of up to one ounce of marijuana to a Class C misdemeanor, was canceled at the last minute due to an unscheduled and unrelated floor vote.

Yesterday's cancellation was unrelated to HB 254 or its subject matter. Therefore, we are hopeful that yesterday's intended hearing before the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee will be rescheduled shortly. We will alert you when a new date and time is given.

Until then, it is still important that write your Representative and tell him or her to support House Bill 254. NORML has revised our pre-written letter, which you will find at: http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=6847791&type=ST

In addition, if your Representative serves on the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee, it is vital that you call him or her ASAP, and voice your support for marijuana decriminalization.

The following Representatives serve on the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee:

Representative Terry Keel (R-TX 47th), Chair - (512) 463-0652 Representative Debbie Riddle (R-TX 150th), Vice-Chair - (512) 463-0572 Representative Mary Denny (R-TX 63rd) - (512) 463-0688 Representative Elvira Reyna (R-TX 101st) - (512) 463-0464 Representative Aaron Pena (D-TX 40th) - (512) 463-0426 Representative Terri Hodge (D-TX 100th) - (512) 463-0586 Representative Paul C. Moreno (D-TX 77th) - (512) 463-0638 Representative Juan Escobar (D-TX 43rd) - (512) 463-0666 Representative Richard Raymond (D-TX 42nd) - (512) 463-0558

Thank you again for your support of NORML's legislative efforts in Texas.

Regards,

Kris Krane, Associate Director NORML

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
HB 254 Committee Hearing rescheduled Good News! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3897581 - 03/10/05 12:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It will be on March 15th, next Tuesday. Mark your calenders and try to attend if you can. I will not be around on Tuesday, will be out of state. I encourage everyone that can attend to do so.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/d...54&SORT=Asc

Send your letters in and get everyone you know to do the same!

http://www.mpp.org/TX/action.html

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: HB 254 Committee Hearing rescheduled Good News! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3900838 - 03/11/05 12:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

went ahead and sent a second letter. I have to admit I'm getting my hopes up, but I hear that there may actually be a chance for this thing to pass. Aparrently there isnt enough money for more jails and all of ours are already overcrowded, so its one way or the other.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: HB 254 Committee Hearing rescheduled Good News! [Re: blaze2]
    #3903832 - 03/11/05 03:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good to hear it blaze2. Try to get your friends/family to send letters as well before the hearing. Keep in mind that this chance to change the law does not come around very often in Texas. So if you haven't already, make sure you are spreading this action alert to everyone you know that would be willing to send a letter.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3903918 - 03/11/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My family isnt very hip I guess you could say but I did convince one of my friends to send off a letter.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3923477 - 03/15/05 10:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well it was debated on the floor today and as far as i can tell(man its hard to find stuff about this with google) the house made small changes; It went from 2 ounces to 1 ounce, under a federal law all drug convictions must result in a driver lisence suspension or that state recieves no federal money for road repair so they added that, adn they made it so that if you are picked up on 3 charges in a year(could be two years I cant remember correctly) you would be moved up to a class b misdemeanor.

Now as far as I can tell they havent voted it down, adn them ammending the bill suggests to me that they might actually be leaning the other way, I've noticed that in austin it either takes years and years to decide something or it is quickly rejected(like the medical MJ bill earlier this month) but if they approve it it will pass to the senate for confirmation then it will eventually wind up on Rick Perrys desk(hes our governer and although he has not formally supported or denounced the bill he thinks that our prison system is broke and needs fixing) where he can veto or sign it into law.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3923522 - 03/15/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Will Texas be another state to take back the authority of drug laws, which was not vested to the federal government under the Constitution?
Lets hope so.

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: HB 254 Committee Hearing rescheduled Good News! [Re: DNKYD]
    #3941042 - 03/19/05 05:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No opposition to marijuana restructuring in committee!

So far, so good.

The law enforcement and prosecutor lobbyists were all in the back row watching, but nobody signed up to oppose HB 254 by Houston state Rep. Harold Dutton, which would restructure sentences for low-level marijuana possession, in Tuesday's House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee hearing. ACLU, NORML, and a handful of well-coifed members of the public spoke in support, telling the committee the legislation would free up much-needed jail space and provide taxpayer relief. A judges' representative testified "on" the bill, meaning they didn't take a position for or against. Rep. Dutton cited FBI statistics indicating each marijuana arrest currently costs local government around $10,000, which would work out to around half a billion dollars or so annually, statewide.

There were two significant changes in the committee substitute (new language given to the committee under the same bill number) from the filed bill: People ticketed would have their drivers license suspended for six months, as per federal law, and be required to attend a drug education class. Dutton said the class would reinforce the seriousness of the offense, but that making it a Class C misdemeanor would keep the offense off most job applications and cause fewer young people to enter the probation system.

A resource witness from the Texas Department of Transportation explained the license suspension provision. Citing a federal statute I was unaware of, she told the committee that when a person is convicted of a drug offense, Texas must suspend the person's driver's license for six months in order to meet the federal highway funds requirements. So as originally drafted, the bill would have jeopardized about 10 percent of federal highway funds coming to Texas. Dutton's substitute, she said, complied with this federal law.

Anyone like Rep. Elvira Reyna, R-Mesquite, who feared supporting the bill might look soft on crime to her constituents, should be much-comforted by the result: Once she explains that small-time pot smokers will receive a stiff fine and lose their driver's license, most folks will think that's plenty of punishment, particularly since her home county doesn't have space in the jail to incarcerate them right now, anyway. Hell, make me Philosopher King and I'd say that sounds like piling on. But bound by the constraints of federal law and slowly shifting attitudes among Texans about incarceration, Dutton's bill makes a lot of sense.

As is common practice, the bill was left pending in committee and may be voted on any time.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.c...-marijuana.html

The extra amendments are to be expected, especially the license one. This currently applies with the current marijuana laws. The bill would be a phenominal step in the correct direction. If you have not already, please go to http://mpp.org/TX/action.html and send your letters in and spread this to your friends and family. I feel this bill really has a shot. Thank you to everyone that has done their part thus far!

P.S. The bill was always 1 ounce or less. It just modified the structure of the 2 ounce bracket by 1 ounce being a fine.

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
    #3941049 - 03/19/05 05:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Also can use pre-written message from NORML. Texans do not hestitate to spread this alert to your friends and family. This bill may well make it to a full house debate, and when it does our officials need to know Texans strongly support it.

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=6847791&type=ST

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3949844 - 03/21/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Im going to be soooo pissed off if it gets voted down. My hopes are probrobly way too high, but I just have this feeling that Texas is going to do something right for once. Its almost like waiting for christmas. Peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
    #3954725 - 03/22/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

blaze2, I know what you mean. I have EXTREMELY high hopes for this bill, but I have to acknowledge that it may not pass. I'm not so worried about the committee anymore. I sincerely believe that it if it is called forward to a vote, it will pass out of committee.

I worry about further down the road. Will it pass the House? Will it pass a Senate Committee? Will it pass on the Senate floor? Will the governor sign or not sign but let the bill become law or will he veto it?

If we want the reality to be it becoming law, the only thing I can say is to pass the action alerts forward to every single person you know of in Texas, including on the internet. I'm still working on getting more people to send their letters in.

Think of it this way. This chance comes along once every 2 years at most, this bill is not always filed.

So let's get on the ball here, help me spread this action alert around while we still have time. Let's ensure that it becomes law with all we got!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3956832 - 03/22/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Hey are you kingkoopa on another forum? If so then when I googled this bill your posts were on the first page lol. I've been telling all my buddys about it. I have noticed it is getting no press at all barely. I think this is for the best since I think there would be a pretty vocal group of people opposing it if they only knew. We will see tho. Peace man keep us updated since I cant find shit all about it online.

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
    #3961081 - 03/23/05 05:53 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Hey are you kingkoopa on another forum?

No, I'm not. But I have seen him on the marijuana.com message boards where I often post about this bill. He seems to be helping out the cause.

We really gotta keep it up. If you can think of any other forums that would get a high response rate over the subject, or know of any other Texas forums, let me know.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#3963185 - 03/24/05 01:07 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

you might try this old ass message board i used to go to before i found overgrow.com, its www.yahooka.com full of a bunch of beerweeds tho. I dont know about texas forums execpt maybe university boards like UT and A&M, I dont know if they let non students use them tho. I'll try to come up with some others. Peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom