Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Shroom hunting in the tri-state area?
    #3931167 - 03/17/05 03:47 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I can?t tell you guys how many times I?ve posted about mushroom hunting in New Jersey. Every time I get the same answer, ?You?re not going to find anything.? So I?m forced to broaden my horizon.

I definitely want to make a few serious attempts this summer. If you were in the NE US where would you look? As long as the trip isn?t more than a few hours by car I?m fine, but I don?t know where to even begin my search.

What about Penn? Or upstate NY? Maryland?

Pennsylvania
Psilocybe caerulipes
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Gymnopilus aeruginosus

New York
Psilocybe caerulipes
Psilocybe semilanceata
Psilocybe silvatica
Panaeolus papillionaceus
Conocybe cyanopus
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus validipes

Which of these are the most common in these states? Which am I most likely going to come across, if any?

When I wanted to hunt in my area (Jersey), I thought about looking up different farms online that I could check out. Is there a more effective way of finding a good local without actually being there? Just drive around until I see a farm? There has to be a better way.

Any information would GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #3932456 - 03/17/05 08:13 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

...lol

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: Raspo]
    #3932737 - 03/17/05 09:05 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

You can find Panaeolus subbalteatus in jersey

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23488

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #3934573 - 03/18/05 07:56 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

i live in PA, if you find any information about hunting them in PA.. then contact me, cuz that would be sweet if you could hunt em in PA

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: Raspo]
    #3935498 - 03/18/05 11:53 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Raspo said:
...lol

What's so funny?

ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3935516 - 03/18/05 11:56 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I would check the Rest Areas from the interstate system.

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: Taskenti]
    #3935571 - 03/18/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

bruceallen said:
You can find Panaeolus subbalteatus in jersey

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23488

Well, I know that much, but where in New Jersey?

North? South? East? West? Central?

There are a few parks around me, but I have a strong feeling I'm not going to find anything. I'm not sure where to look for manure and compost piles, I don't know of many farms around here. If you were in my situation, where would you start?

Thanks for the reply,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

#3935618 - 03/18/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Look at the mushroom hunting section in this site!

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #3936186 - 03/18/05 02:43 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Actives in this area are pretty much scarce. Even if you did find something active, chances are you wont find many of them. The subbs are the best bet. Since it is almost spring, now would be a good time to scope out some locations. Look for places such as local horse parks. In my area, there is a park that is open to the public with lots of walking trails (where people ride horses and hike), a horse petting area and tons of fields with horses in them.
There is a large compost pile where the dung is left after cleaning out stables and fields. It is left to sit with mixed with hay and sometimes mulch.. it is in that area, I find fruitings of subbs and sometimes other pan species.
Your best bet would be locating a compost horse manure pile or a hay compost pile. If you cant find manure compost, try looking for just bails of abandoned and uncovered hay.
Another thing to keep an eye out for would be gym species. This comes later in the year though, usually late summer through fall. With gyms you need to do a lot of research and be absolutely SURE that you know what you are doing. There are other species that can resemble gyms and be poisonous. I have found what I believe were active gym species in this area but I have never consumed any.
The chances of finding anything else such as caerulipes are slim to none.
Just keep in mind that hunting for actives in the tri-state area is a very tedious process and you cant expect too much. If you are really desperate to get ahold of something active, look into cultivation. Good luck.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: eris]
    #3939082 - 03/19/05 07:34 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

And while many species of Panaeolus grow out of Horse dung w you most likely will bnnever find Panaeolus in horse turds. Only in the manure of cattle (very Rare) and more common in manured compost heaps at riding stables and at racetracks when the horse manure is mixed with straw and stable shavings.

mj

Both I and Angry Shroom have posted images here of fi giant compost heaps.

mj

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3939350 - 03/19/05 09:41 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
And while many species of Panaeolus grow out of Horse dung w you most likely will bnnever find Panaeolus in horse turds.

Why is that?

Quote:

Both I and Angry Shroom have posted images here of fi giant compost heaps.

mj

Where are these images? You said HERE so I searched in the gallery and found nothing. Are you refering to your main site?

Thanks for the reply,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3939705 - 03/19/05 11:40 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

AS I said,
the images are in the gallery. I have about 6000 images posted here.

Below are two different Compost Heaps in a close area to each other at a riding stable in Washington State.

These compost heaps are straw, horse manure and stable shavings. Sometimes hickory nut shells and/or oyster shells are crushed and added into the compost heaps. depends on where and what state they are in.

Why the subbs do not grow in horse turds is anyones guess. They do fruit in mixed manure with comost.

Compost is their main habitat. Then sometimes, but rare in a pasture in cow manure. Only a few people ahve ever foudn them in Passtures. Mitchnast is one. Joshua found a lawn one year only. The shrooms did not come back. Greatone234 found some inn Florida once or twice. I found two fields Hawaii. IOne proleific on Maui and another on Oahu, but never more than two or three shrooms in the latter field.

HEre are four images of one place with both Panaeolus campanulatus and Panaeolus semiovatus. The latter is the yellowish shroom, the campanulatus are the darker shroom with fringed teeth on the edge of the cap.

mj

And a second larger compost heap. There is a second heap next to this one just as big and long.

So now maybe you have an idea what a compost heap looks like.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (03/19/05 11:46 AM)

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3942077 - 03/19/05 10:24 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I recall Psilocybe Gravolens being one of New Jersey's active mushrooms, but there is little to no current information (or even pictures for that matter) on this mushroom.

It seems to be extremely rare. :frown:

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3943943 - 03/20/05 12:27 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

So now maybe you have an idea what a compost heap looks like.

mj

Thank you so much for the reply, I truly appreciate it.

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: Shroom hunting in the tri-state area? [Re: Boom]
    #3943976 - 03/20/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Booooom said:
I recall Psilocybe Gravolens being one of New Jersey's active mushrooms, but there is little to no current information (or even pictures for that matter) on this mushroom.

It seems to be extremely rare. :frown:

I was actually looking into this mushroom a while back, and MJ sent me an article about it. It is extremely rare, in fact, they didn't even have a picture of it. The article only contained pictures of Look-A-Likes.

It would be amazing to actually find it though, seeing how rare it is. I'd love to try cultivating some from a print if I could get my hands on one. That would be fansinating I bet.

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Edited by ShroomNoob03 (03/20/05 12:42 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract