Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
gnats
    #3917826 - 03/14/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I read a lot of post on gnats and I got rid of the soil that I'm pretty sure they were using. But I have many other plants will they get to these plants too or will they be gone now i don't have BT but I'm going to get some tomorrow. Ive used a 3 in one fungicide on the all the plants will this hopefully get rid of them or will they get into the other soil too?

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Re: gnats [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #3918320 - 03/14/05 09:22 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Plus a lot are seedlings so i have to keep moist. I read about cinnamon being a natural fungicide so i sprinkled a little of that on the plants. All my cactus I have no worries but my morning glories, dagga and veggies I got to water daily. Maybe just spray a little fungicide every time I water. maybe isolate the plants. Crap these things are annoying.

--------------------

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
    #3921320 - 03/15/05 02:15 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Fungicides wouldn't have any effect on fungus gnats, I wouldn't think. Two common solutions are putting sand on top of your soil mix and using sticky traps.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: gnats [Re: nookjohn]
    #3921366 - 03/15/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

i hate gnats and have htem right now. At least they dont harm the plants like mites or other nasty pests tho.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3921641 - 03/15/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

9millionth response to this.

less water/ fungus gnats are living off rotting matter!fungus! gnats are often a indication of over watered rotten soil.

more air / aim fans at soil/ disturbs new flying gnats

take the top two inches of soil out of infected plants and replace with fresh soil, not sand.

BT is no good because you need to water more to apply the BT, this is your problem in the first place too much water in the soil, and you run the risk of drowning plants like cacti or just keeping normal plants too wet. plus the bugs will come back before you need to water again.

DIATOMATIOUS EARTH( you may have heard of it if you have ever worked at a pool, it's the stuff that makes the filters filter)/ it's a cure/kill all for bugs/ top dress your soil with horticultural grade DE and all your problems will be solved/ DE is fossilized remains of diatoms, that when applied to soil makes the soil dangerous to soft bodied insects, it cuts them up like crawling through glass, or like eating glass. yet it's totally safe to humans, just don't huff it or get it in your eyes. it's even safe for humans to consume, grains and the like are packed in it to keep bugs out. can also be sprayed on leaf to smother bugs( spider mites, maybe ).

and lastly the most simple DAWN DISH SOAP, just a few drops of this in your water will scorch the larvae of bugs and won't harm your plants. the degrease is what is important and because dawn is kinda mild. we use dawn in our bucket water and lemon joy in our spray water. but we also know which plants are too sensitive and which aren't to do this too. for example i would never spray orchids with soap, but some tropicals don't mind at all, test a small amount first, and flush with water if you are worried afterward. and don't spray during the heat of the day.

but controlled watering, air circulation, and controlled watering will keep these bugs away.

and blaze2
fungus gnats do damage plants, the larvae eat the small, furry, baby roots that do a good bit of the plants work, a bad infestation can really set back a plant,
your right though not as bad as spider mites, I'm not sure anythings that bad...aphids...maybe, it's close, mite are so damn small.

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: gnats [Re: zerozero]
    #3922878 - 03/15/05 08:28 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Trust me, sand alone does work. Gnats reproduce by laying their eggs in compost. They cannot lay their eggs through sand. Diatomaceous earth on top of the soil would have a similar effect for fungus gnats. If there are already eggs in the compost, you would want to evenly mix the diatomaceous earth for maximum effect.

The best course of action is to stop using peat and peat-based soil mixes. Peat is what attracts gnats in the first place. Switch to a high-mineral soil and from peat to coir.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: gnats [Re: nookjohn]
    #3923243 - 03/15/05 09:27 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

hmm well news to me thanks for the info. I only 2 or 3 gnats flying around right now. Your soap in teh water trick, is that ok for MJ?

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Re: gnats [Re: blaze2]
    #3923354 - 03/15/05 09:51 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

well I had to many gnats in my little greenhouse i built for my veggies, morning glory, dagga and poppy. I put them outside where it is hovering around 20 along with a casing I saw 1 fucking gnat in. Ahh there all over my house. good thing they haven't gotten to L.W. and khat yet.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3923498 - 03/15/05 10:23 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

yes. although i found i needed a few rounds of this method for it to be effective. i used sunlight. i dont know what difference it would make, but just to be clear.

pest strips (namely vapona) are VERY VERY VERY toxic!!! They should NOT be used somewhere inside a home where people or animals may be present. tehy are incredibly bad for you. i would not even put them by the plants. one thing is sure. tehy wil kill any pests that are annoying you... perhaps those sticky fly trap things are less toxic. i dont know anythign about those ones.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: gnats [Re: kadakuda]
    #3926979 - 03/16/05 06:01 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

tourist/ sand probably does work...however, i'm not in the mood to change soil content because of some stupid fly, i'd rater eradicate them. and you are 100% right that peat is where they come from and what they are attracted to. you can't buy miracle grow potting soil without getting fungus gnats, they love the peat.

Gniom/ 20 degree temps will hurt your plants just as much if not more than the bugs, very counterproductive way to kill bugs. however, lowering the temps into the 50's might slow their reproductive cycle enough to let you kill them all before they can spawn more.

and i forgot to mention yellow sticky traps > they are specifically made to attract those type of bugs.

and Neem Oil > spray it on let it sit for half hour or so, then wash off, it will have done it's work and can be washed off, so as to not smother your plants in residue. ( same technique used for Seven or whatever type of bug killer you are using)
hope this helps 00

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

#3938187 - 03/18/05 11:14 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

no i put my plants outside to totally get rid of the gnats all together there were at least 15 gnats per pot it was insane even if i had to kill the plants which happened. :frown:  But now that i got rid of my plants that always had moist soil will the gants be gone soon or in 10-14 days.  All I have left is some cactus but I'm not watering those.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3938627 - 03/19/05 01:45 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

for a mild infestation like that next time use some yellow sticky traps, and more air circulation, and hopefully they haven't gone to your cacti.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3939518 - 03/19/05 10:51 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I've tried yellow sticky traps with gnats and they didn't work at all. I think maybe the blue traps might work. Some bugs go for the yellow and some for the blue. The DE sounds like a good tip, I'm going to try to find some. Would a pool supply place have it or do you have to buy a filter and tear it open?

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: gnats [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3939579 - 03/19/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

indeed, however yellow are for fungus gnats, blue are for thrips. i just checked.
and if you do have a bad problem yellow cards aren't going to cure your problem,
but i was saying for small amounts of bugs, a few here and there, they get almost all of the bugs a soon as they fly.

and yellow sticky cards and blue are actually for indicating if you have a bug infestation, not controlling it, but they will help for home gardening,
trust me. i kill bugs for a living.
i've seen infestations of hundreds of bug be partially controlled by yellow cards, along with DE , no problem. you can control the flying ones with yellow cards and kill their parents with DE.

DE is the best..and no don't use pool grade, you want horticultural grade, i know glorious gardens is a brand that makes boxes about the size of a box of cereal, for the consumer. even if you had to order it a small amount it would last you a quite a while.
peace00

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order