Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Loc: FL
They never cease to amaze me...
    #3872328 - 03/05/05 09:16 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

After At The Drive-In broke up and split into two bands I wasn't sure which to follow. Sparta or The Mars Volta. TMV wins hands down. Theiy're first EP was just a foreshadowing of how they were going to keep puching the limits of music where as Sparta rode At The Drive-Ins broken waves. The Mars Volta came out with the comatorium (a concept album dedicated to a loved one who committed suicide). And now with Frances The Mute (which came out March 1st) I am still in awe. Absoloutely amazing music for tripping and just gettin' down to. I highly recommend The Mars Volta for those who have not heard them. Simply amazing, I just had to share the love  :grin:

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Woland]
    #3876258 - 03/06/05 05:18 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

i dont like their new single.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Locus]
    #3876622 - 03/06/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Which song did you hear? I didn't even know they had a single out.

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Locus]
    #3877857 - 03/06/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

The single "The Widow" is less than 5 minutes out of 76 that make up the album. It's the "accessible" track. If you like quirky, experimental, progressive music. Powerful music. You may like The Mars Volta. If you can't stomach 32 minute prog suites or if you like to "play it safe" when it comes to how much of yourself you invest in music, you probably won't dig 'em.

If you perhaps like the idea of an opening track song that's well over ten minutes and introduces a rhythmic theme flowing through '5and', 6, then 4, you might like TMV. If you like a rhythm section that's so powerful and innovative that it makes the erectile tissue in your scrotum twitch, you might like TMV.

If you like vocals that push the range envelope from a male, deal with stream of consciousness, DIY vocabulary, modulate between spanish, english, latin and something else altogether and that doesn't follow the intolerably stale pseudo-honest vocal posturings coming from popular music these days, you might like TMV.

You know what, just listen to the third song from Frances the Mute, Via l'viaquez, and tell me you're not digging this.

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Viveka]
    #3883597 - 03/07/05 05:00 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

hell yes :rockon:

--------------------

Offlinejoecrab
Moon Child

Loc: The Beautiful Suwannee Ri...
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Woland]
    #3883938 - 03/07/05 06:23 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

:thumbup:, great post evileye, like the description

by the way, tmv= :headbang:

--------------------
and the moral of the story is, don't try to meditate on methamphetamines

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: joecrab]
    #3925858 - 03/16/05 02:24 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I have yet to hear the new album, but I heard John Frusciante and Flea made guest appearances on it. :bow:

Comatorium was an amazing album... I like almost everything on it.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Adamist]
    #3926056 - 03/16/05 03:08 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I believe Frusicante and Flea played on the De-Loused album as well.

But to the orginal poster, yes, Frances the Mute is the best album I've heard this year, by far. I've listened to it about 7 times since I've gotten it and it gets better with each listen.

Highly recommended.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #3936242 - 03/18/05 02:57 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Yep, Frusciante and Flea played on Cicatriz ESP i believe it was.

If any of you guys have slsk (and if you are a Frusciante fan) then you should browse my files. I have some live shows that John, Flea, and Josh Klinghoffer (drummer from The Bicycle Thief) played at LA's The Knitting Factory. The show is very strange but very good. my slsk username is YoozYoreIllusion.

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Soularize]
    #3936322 - 03/18/05 03:18 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Great band, good album. My only negative criticism of Mars Volta: they are not convenient to listen to when you are on the go. This is because when you are on the go, say taking the bus or walking around a city/campus, you have to periodically turn off or turn down your music. Listening to a 30 minute song becomes a frustrating experience in this given context. To appreciate and enjoy Mars Volta, I think that you have to dedicate yourself to a sit a listen, and listen through the whole album.

Much better to listen to while at home, then while on the go.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: They never cease to amaze me... [Re: Darcho]
    #3937321 - 03/18/05 07:12 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Great band, good album. My only negative criticism of Mars Volta: they are not convenient to listen to when you are on the go. This is because when you are on the go, say taking the bus or walking around a city/campus, you have to periodically turn off or turn down your music. Listening to a 30 minute song becomes a frustrating experience in this given context. To appreciate and enjoy Mars Volta, I think that you have to dedicate yourself to a sit a listen, and listen through the whole album.

Much better to listen to while at home, then while on the go.

If that's your only complaint.....

McKennaDMT :stoned: :stoned:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order