Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebarlo
nookian

My positive pressure Glovebox
    #3919230 - 03/15/05 12:59 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Hi. Here's my glovebox holes made with soldiering iron. Fan glued on with liquid nails and silicon sealent to make it air tight. Filters made of 2 3m carbon surgical masks and 2 sars dust masks per fan. Comments suggetions...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: barlo]
    #3919245 - 03/15/05 01:04 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah man. I really love'em. Here's one I built a while ago. Have you tried it out yet? I hope it works out for ya!

Edited by hotnutz (03/15/05 01:17 AM)

Offlinebarlo
nookian

#3919358 - 03/15/05 01:31 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Thanks  :blush: Yeah I did a jar with 100++ml of distiled water to scrap spores into :smile:

Edited by barlo (03/15/05 01:33 AM)

Offlinebarlo
nookian

#3920256 - 03/15/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Here's some dextrose/water.

Edited by barlo (03/15/05 09:04 AM)

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: barlo] * 1
    #3920304 - 03/15/05 09:24 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

When I built mine, I had so much - feedback among the communities. I felt like there wasn't one person that thought it would work. I did a couple of tests with agar plates and wbs to see if it in fact was working. I still got - comments about it. So I fuckin did the ultimate test. I grew out some trich in a wbs 1qt. jar. Then I cleaned my box according to the way I would would if were going to do some work and I turned it on. I put 2 open agar plates in the box. Then I took the jar'o trich and spooned it around in the jar so spores out the ass would be going in the intake and all over the box. Moving the jar all over so it covered the entire box and fan. Everywhere. There was not one bit of contamination in my plates. It's all in how you build the box. It's common sense that if you have a 99.7% hepa filtrated system, that your not going to have problems unless there is a leak. But none the less, I had to replace the filter and clean the shit out of it. That was pretty dumb huh?

Edited by hotnutz (03/15/05 09:26 AM)

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: Hotnuts] * 1
    #3920429 - 03/15/05 10:00 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

It's according to what you think of as dumb. I wouldn't say so. For the price of a new filter and some time replacing it, you now know (for sure) how well you can trust your box. I'd call that worth it.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: Mages]
    #3920538 - 03/15/05 10:26 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Mages said:
It's according to what you think of as dumb. I wouldn't say so. For the price of a new filter and some time replacing it, you now know (for sure) how well you can trust your box. I'd call that worth it.

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3920788 - 03/15/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

why didnt they think it would work?

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3920810 - 03/15/05 11:55 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

The restricted airflow to the fan, because it is up against a filter, doesnt cause stress on the motor, and burn it up?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3921079 - 03/15/05 01:07 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I've always had my doubts about a posi pressure glovebox, partly because you don't want turbulence in your work area, because the number one source of contamination in mushroom growing is the grower himself. If there is turbulence in your glovebox, contamination will get blown off your arms or other surfaces and into the sterile media.

However, having some knowledge of HVAC systems, I know they all use a squirrel cage fan to produce pressure. You never see blade type fans where pressure is required because they cavitate with very little backpressure. Would you be so kind as to fire up that glovebox and hold a lighter to one of the arm holes? I would doubt much air comes out, if any. I've long been of the opinion that no pressure is actually created, therefore the box works as a standard glovebox. See if your fan can bend a lighter flame over. I'm curious.

To answer Psychoslut's question, I do know that if you restrict the air, either intake or exhaust on a fan, the load on the motor actually reduces. This is because less air is being moved, even though it's building pressure. Less air means less work, therefore less load. I learned that from an HVAC man when we were both troubleshooting the same unit.(I'm an electrician) When we fired up the unit, I put an ammeter on the feed, and he opened and closed the dampers to restrict airflow. Anytime there was restriction, the amp load actually dropped.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Edited by RogerRabbit (03/15/05 01:10 PM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3921090 - 03/15/05 01:10 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I trust what you say, and dont mean to argue, but when a box fan lays on its back and runs on the floor, the motor gets burning up hot.  :confused:

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: Mages]
    #3921098 - 03/15/05 01:13 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Yeah I'm with ya on that.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My positive pressure Glovebox [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3921111 - 03/15/05 01:16 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Correct. The motor depends on its own airflow for cooling. It would still be drawing less electrical current, but that's a good point about the physical cooling aspect of it.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3921128 - 03/15/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I certainly agree with you on the fact that there's not a lot of air movement through the arm holes with pc type fans. I've got an 85cfm 110 motor, most pc type fans are 40 or less. On this one it moves a flame, but very little. I should have went with 2 fans and filters to provide more flow, but I really didn't know what I was looking at until I built it. The next thing I'm investing time in is a flowhood for sure.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3921223 - 03/15/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
However, having some knowledge of HVAC systems, I know they all use a squirrel cage fan to produce pressure.  You never see blade type fans where pressure is required because they cavitate with very little backpressure.  Would you be so kind as to fire up that glovebox and hold a lighter to one of the arm holes?  I would doubt much air comes out, if any.  I've long been of the opinion that no pressure is actually created, therefore the box works as a standard glovebox.  See if your fan can bend a lighter flame over.  I'm curious. 

Dont know about this unit, but most do create pressure using an exhaust thing on the filter..I know agar for example, has pictures of a flame at 90 degrees in is flowhood. Maybe cause a flowhood and not glovebox? Or isthis just not a "blade type fan"? So your saying blade type fan on a positive pressure glovebox isnt good but exhaust fan is?

Just trying to get some more info on the subject :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinebarlo
nookian

#3933973 - 03/18/05 03:33 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

yes the flame from the lighter is being blown outside towards me :laugh:

Offlinebarlo
nookian

#3946741 - 03/20/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Ok here's the dl pc fans are lame and only work with partial pressure gloveboxes i.e. gloves in the armholes and you need at least 2 big pc fans... Get a cfm fan the fastest and largest you could find and stick 3 or more to your glovebox... Since this plugs directly to the wall socket you can take out somte to adjust pressure depending on what your doing i.e. printing, scraping.... whatever. get hepa filters for these fans. everything needs to be secure and airtight in your fan setup... :laugh: have fun

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #3946789 - 03/20/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

heres mine, works great. Just spray it with alcohol before i get going

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #3946825 - 03/20/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

man for all the trouble just build a mini hepa flow hood.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom