Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

CU: No grass on April 20
    #3933721 - 03/18/05 03:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

CU: No grass on April 20
Administrators mull ways to discourage pro-pot festival
March 18, 2005
dailycamera.com

University of Colorado administrators and local public health officials are trying to figure out ways to make an annual on-campus pro-marijuana rally blow away like a puff of smoke.

Every April 20, pot enthusiasts gather in the middle of Farrand Field to smoke copious amounts of marijuana. Typically, police don't intervene.

But given the scandals currently rocking the school, Ron Stump, vice chancellor for student affairs, said he thinks tolerating crowds of hundreds of people cheerfully getting stoned definitely sends the wrong message.

"I think there's some students who feel that it doesn't represent them and it's not appropriate on our campus," Stump said. "I think they'd like to see us do something."

Stump, who discussed the issue with city and county officials during a meeting this week, said he doesn't yet know what concrete steps the administration will take to discourage students from going ganja next month. At this point, he said, he wants to talk to student leaders to see what ideas they can come up with to keep the event from happening.

Increased police presence "could be" one way of discouraging the rally, Stump said.

Mason Tvert, head of a Boulder-based nonprofit that emphasizes the relative safety of marijuana compared to alcohol, said the school shouldn't be trying to shut out the rally's message of marijuana tolerance.

"This is something a whole lot of people believe in, and I think the university should listen," he said.

Boulder County Public Health Director Chuck Stout said he hopes to see the rally disappear, but not because he disagrees with its message. Those engaging in spliff-smoking civil disobedience will have a point when they argue that their illegal substance causes less harm than legal alcohol use does, Stout said. And he said he personally thinks harsh criminal penalties meted out for pot possession are wrong.

"This isn't to make a statement that marijuana is the most evil thing out there," he said. "Alcohol, frankly, from a medical perspective, can be far more dangerous than marijuana."

But while the protesters have a point on the merits, Stout said the rally will create a public perception that the school simply doesn't need right now. The public is increasingly associating CU with continuing fallout from the athletic sex and recruiting scandal and its party-school image, Stout said.

Pictures of hundreds of stoned undergrads won't exactly help, he said.

"This is a world-class university that we're very proud of," he said. "Given all that has gone on with substance use and abuse, this doesn't feel very sensitive. ... If we're trying to change that culture, having a mob rally that celebrates intoxication — that doesn't seem too smart."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: CU: No grass on April 20 [Re: veggie]
    #3935045 - 03/18/05 12:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

They seem to associate anybody that smokes pot with bad students. Almost every person I know that goes to college that smokes pot has exceptional grades and are incredibly intelligent individuals. They should be proud of this "world-class university" they have, and shouldn't be ashamed that some of their students chose to exercise a basic human right to use a substance that is not nearly as harmful as some of its legal counterparts.

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: CU: No grass on April 20 [Re: DNKYD]
    #3935080 - 03/18/05 12:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

They seem to associate anybody that smokes pot with bad students. Almost every person I know that goes to college that smokes pot has exceptional grades and are incredibly intelligent individuals.

Amen

Invisibleveggie

#3994700 - 03/31/05 12:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Pro-pot rally planned
March 31, 2005
coloradodaily.com

Marijuana proponents are making sure this year's April 20 marijuana celebration does not go up in smoke.

A rally to protest the school's anti-marijuana stance is scheduled for Friday on Farrand Field.

The event, titled "April Fools' Day 420 Fake-Out," will be held to raise awareness of the recent crackdown on marijuana on campus and point out the hypocrisies in the system, according to Mason Tvert, executive director of Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER) - an organization that is lobbying to pass marijuana referendums on both the CU and CSU campuses.

"It is the belief of the students that the University is trying to pass the blame for its recent blunders onto the students. It's obvious to the students, the staff and the faculty that alcohol is the problem and not marijuana," said Tvert.

Last week, University officials said there may be more enforcement at this year's marijuana celebration than in previous years.

Organizers of the protest said marijuana is not the real issue for the University, alcohol is, and the university's resources should be used to discourage drinking, not smoking marijuana.

"For the school to come out and discourage (smoking marijuana) is very hypocritical because of the fact they consider alcohol a more acceptable form of recreation for students. So essentially they are encouraging students to use alcohol by making the penalties less severe than they are for marijuana," said Tvert.

The school currently uses similar sanctioning for both marijuana and alcohol. After two alcohol or marijuana violations, a student faces a judicial review with a possibility of suspension from school.

CU officials were not reachable Wednesday for comment on the Fake-Out protest.

The protest will feature guest speakers, which may include faculty that will talk about marijuana usage on campus and what may be misconceptions about marijuana usage.

"Most of the University's arguments have been that this is an event which is a mass intoxication festival," said Tvert. "In fact, very few people come out and use marijuana on this day."

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
    #3995188 - 03/31/05 02:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I live a few blocks from the CU campus and will definitely be smokin up on 4/20. Not sure how it worked during previous 4/20's, but i'm pretty sure there's not gonna be a huge amount of people smokin on campus this year. The cops in boulder are fucking harsh on pot, just 4 weeks ago i had a gun pulled to my head and got arrested for smokin a bowl...even though we have a higher percentage of pot smokers probably out of any city in the U.S. I'll tell ya guys how it goes.

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service