Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Ok, here goes...we are using PF classic, and our first two batches turned out picture perfect. We got 5 great flushes out of first, 3 out of second. We are following strict sterile procedure and using a terrarium consisting of damp verm in the bottom of airtight tupperware containers. This served us VERY well in our first two batches. We started to see real problems with our 3rd and 4th batches...lots of contam (green powder). The cakes in our last two batches colonized fully, but when placed in the terrarium, started to contam within a few days. We have not seen any real pinning on these cakes, despite increased fanning, and we've tried placing the cakes on plastic jar lids, and placing them right on the verm, but nothing seems to be working. Sorry this is so long, but I don't see how anyone can answer our question without knowing our setup and what we've done (or not done). We have used the same conditions we got such great results with the first two times, yet nothing is working. As I write, I have beautiful colonized cakes that don't have excess moisture on them, but refuse to pin after a week and a half. If you have any ideas, PLEASE post back!!!!
Here's my 2cents.
Just like in brewing, the first couple of batches usually don't have problems because there isn't a reason for large numbers of infecting bacteria to hang out. When you keep creating the perfect culture medium, the bacteria also multiply (even when not noticeable under normal circumstances).
One of the only ways to combat serious contamination infestations is to soak/ wash all your equipment in a bleach water solution, wash the walls of your grow room, and if possible, remove the carpet/curtains/cloths hanging above them. You probably can't do all of this to create laboratory-like conditions, but do what you can.
A huge step is just washing all equipment w/ the bleach solution.
Hope this helps!