Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Layering your perlite with foil
    #3933029 - 03/17/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I use perlite for my casings currently. I have two large chambers with a 3" layer of perlite on the bottom, then on top of the perlite are three 1ft x 1ft induvudual casings in 1x1ft containers per big chamber. This works to humidify GREAT!

My next casings are going to be two large single casings. This poses a problem for my use of the perlite. I will be casing 15quarts directly in each big tub. What is the proper way to use perlite in this case? I think the only possible way to use the perlite would be to lay foil between the perlite and the casing and poke holes in it...

problem is having perlite on the bottom but directly casing in the chambers. What to do with the perlite in here? I dont want to case right on top of the perlite due to effectivness purposes and contamination constraints.

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Midwest Mushin!

Re: Layering your perlite with foil [Re: Joops]
    #3933076 - 03/17/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

dont use perlite...the casings will/should humidify themselves..peace p3k

User Gallery
Re: Layering your perlite with foil [Re: Joops]
    #3933140 - 03/18/05 12:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This may (or may not) be what you're looking for.

I made these to set into my box to keep cakes out of the water that pools there. They're made out of this green 1/2 inch mesh I found at Home Depot in the fencing section. Each one fills up a quarter of the grow chamber's floor space. To put perlite underneath it, I'd make it taller, but it should work to separate your casing from the perlite - especially if you put a layer of tyvek on top of it. You can see I dipped the clipped-off ends of wire in paint to prevent rusting, but that's not really neccessary. The easiest way to do it would be to put some supports into the container - a bunch of bottoms cut off coke cans or something - into your container, skip all the bending and paint dipping and cut out a piece as big as the inside of your container, and drop the whole thing down on your supports. After the perlite was poured in around the supports, of course.

- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Edited by Mages (03/18/05 12:13 AM)

Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Layering your perlite with foil [Re: Mages]
    #3934519 - 03/18/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

But...if you have all that wet humidity hunder there...you have a contam breeding ground (lots of stale stagnant air under the casings...I wouldnt use it with bulk. The casing will provice its own humidity (due to the large size it will generate some nice heat) if you hand mist it.

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation