Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Loc: watching you
Casing Pasteurization
    #3931868 - 03/17/05 08:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have found that about 10 minutes of microwaving appx. 10 cups of casing mix in slighty opened ziplock bags is sufficient and I havent had contam yet. I read a lot about these long, excruciating pasteurization teks, something about a pillowcase in a pot and wait 2 days? I recorded the temperature of the middle of the bags immediately after being nuked and they consistently read 180-190. The amount of time in which germs and spores are exposed to heat is irrelevant, it only matters the temperatures they are exposed to. Remember to keep it simple!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Pasteurization [Re: PsiliPSIENTIST]
    #3931907 - 03/17/05 08:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No one goes to advanced lengths to pasteurize casing. Pasteurizing though isnt "heating something to 180 degrees" its "keeping something at 160-175 for 1.5-3 hours. Still that is done for substrates, like straw, poo or compost...not casing..you can cook it like that...but you can just PC it for 30 minutes in jars, 10 quarts at a time and have some saved later for patching, casing, whatever when you need it. Or bags if you do bulk..doesnt really matter. I dont trust casing unsterilized..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3931918 - 03/17/05 08:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

>>>>>>The amount of time in which germs and spores are exposed to heat is irrelevant, it only matters the temperatures they are exposed to<<<<<<<<

WRONG

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3931943 - 03/17/05 08:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PsiliPSIENTIST said:
The amount of time in which germs and spores are exposed to heat is irrelevant, it only matters the temperatures they are exposed to.

You really sent yourself to the gallows with that remark. I hope you don't believe that?

You make a good point in the microwave being effective for casings. However, the long drawn out pasteurizing method you described is used for bulk substrates, not casings. If you were to bring bulk substrate materials to temperature for a moment, absolutely nothing would be achieved. Possibly 5,000 bacteria would die in the flash heat, but you need to kill 5,000,000,000 here to be effective.

Get the picture? It's all about sustained temperature, that is true pasteurization my friend.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation