Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAuryn
Stranger
Veil breaking before the cap opens?
    #3929947 - 03/17/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am a first time grower.  I have a sterlite container set up with perlite for humidification with a once daily misting of the walls.  My first cakes have started pinning recently after about 2 weeks in the terrarium.  So far, only 3 of the cakes (out of 8) have pinned, and it's been one pin on each cake. 
My question is, I have one mushroom, about 4 inches tall with a pretty round and large closed cap, about the size of a large marble.  However, the veil is broken already.  Is this normal?  Should I pick it now, or wait for the cap to open? 

Also, why is my pinset so disappointing?  My terrarium varies from about 65-72F and it seems to be pretty humid in there, there are drops on the walls and the air seems humid when I fan (which I do about 4-5 times per day).  The cakes were dunked for 16 hours in a refrigerator, and are sitting on small squares of tinfoil on top of the perlite.
How can I improve my pinset?  Should I assume the first flush is over on these cakes, and re-dunk them? 
Please help!  :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Veil breaking before the cap opens? [Re: Auryn]
    #3929975 - 03/17/05 12:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Your cakes may be a little too moist. If you take your finger tip and lightly press down on the top off your cake and it's mushy, it's too wet. After time you'll get the feel of what hydration is premo for cakes, either doing a poke test or just by the weight and look of it. A wet cake isn't healthy looking. It should be very bright in color. Were a wet cake looks a off white or tanned a bit. You should be able to poke the cake with your finger tip getting a slight denting yield. It should be firm, but not hard as a rock. I would go ahead and pick your flush if you think it's stunted or you have a prob. You'll know if they are aborting if the caps of the mushrooms start turning black or dark in color.

Edited by hotnutz (03/17/05 12:40 PM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Veil breaking before the cap opens? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3930044 - 03/17/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, as far as your mushrooms that you have go, it kind of depends on what you want. Do you want to take a spore print?? If so wait to pick until the cap starts to release the spores. Then take spore print. Im assuming you know how to do this?? Now concerning your pinset. You dunked, but did you roll or double end case. I Don't have alot of experience in cakes so have limited first hand experience in problem solving them. Good Luck, hope this helped some.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation