Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying
    #3893610 - 03/09/05 04:38 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Okay so now that I'm starting to understand more the mushroom world, at first all the information was OVERWHELMING, i'm running into some walls.

My thing is, how does the casing increase yield, but you don't gain anymore spawn?? To clearify that comment, i mean, you place 6 pf style brf/verm cakes into a casing, ok bam its done, so you have the same amount of substrate, the casing layer is unnutricious and does not allow colonization(or a great deal anyway.)

So my question is, not to try and disprove the many many years of personal research, how/why does casing increase your yield, while your actual amount of spawn(in volume or mass) remains static??

I hope this isn't too confusing and thinks for your help. I'm at a point right now where I'm trying to decide what is my best bet on my 1/4 pint pf tek brf/verm cakes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: miiddiesman024]
    #3893650 - 03/09/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

That's a good question, I'll try to answer that from my experiences. Getting cakes to fruit requires high (98%) humidity that must be uniformly applied all around or all that surface area is wasted. This is why you see alot of people with one or two pins on a cake resulting in a mediocre yield. The point is: Moisture delivery to cakes is a difficult thing to obtain correctly + uniformly! (Pins on bottom of cake near perlite, etc.)

Casing takes the guesswork out of moisture delivery. Once you get an even casing layer down and learn how to mist correctly, your casing layer provides even saturation and moisture content. Instead of several cakes sitting around in a terrarium drying out, you now have equivalent substrate crumbled in a casing tin as one mass, RECEIVING uniform moisture.

Casings are much easier to master then cakes. I still don't know why casing is considered "more difficult". Cakes still elude me!

Hope that helps.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: Holydiver]
    #3893772 - 03/09/05 05:14 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Ok that makes a fair amount of sense. So technically it would be possible to attain yields larger than average with cakes it just takes the know how, and a very stable enviroment.

Well this round is a learning round so im trying everything, invitro, cakes+terrarium, and a mini casing.

Also diver, i have seen post by you before, but after looking at your avatar, duh, but anyway i love diving man, it is , Incredible.

Ill be trying my hand at spearfishing this spring/summer, have you ever ventured into that aspect of diving?? Do You usually lake dive/wreck dive/reef dive? Most wrecks for me on the eastern coast US But ive been to some lovely tropical reefs/wrecks. Pretty cool, I've only met a few divers outside of the diving arena so its cool to see another diver on the boards, althoguh im sure there are more. I know one time a thread got started on overgrow, and it turned out HUGE. All of us tokers i know are using up that air fast, need to switch to nitrox, or trimix this year hehehe. Anyway thanks again man, for the clarification.

Edited by miiddiesman024 (03/09/05 05:16 PM)

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: Holydiver]
    #3893806 - 03/09/05 05:19 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
That's a good question, I'll try to answer that from my experiences. Getting cakes to fruit requires high (98%) humidity that must be uniformly applied all around or all that surface area is wasted. This is why you see alot of people with one or two pins on a cake resulting in a mediocre yield. The point is: Moisture delivery to cakes is a difficult thing to obtain correctly + uniformly! (Pins on bottom of cake near perlite, etc.)

Casing takes the guesswork out of moisture delivery. Once you get an even casing layer down and learn how to mist correctly, your casing layer provides even saturation and moisture content. Instead of several cakes sitting around in a terrarium drying out, you now have equivalent substrate crumbled in a casing tin as one mass, RECEIVING uniform moisture.

Casings are much easier to master then cakes. I still don't know why casing is considered "more difficult". Cakes still elude me!

Hope that helps.

diver my ? is 90 to 92% going to be good in growing cakes im going to dunk and roll in the mmgg it says 90% is that a understatement or what

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: sludge]
    #3893876 - 03/09/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Sludge, 90% will be too low for cakes. It's great for casings though. See? Casing humidity is even easier to obtain.

miiddiesman024 I went a little off track from what I wanted to say. Basically, and you'll find this this out as you go along, this is all a game of moisture. Don't concentrate so much on amount of substrate and what it will yield, what's more important is the moisture content and how it will receive moisture during it's fruiting stage. This is why I think casings are superior. Variables upon variables in your face here, but you'll find a groove though and it will all click.

Yeah diving is amazing, unfortunately I don't get to go much these days due to finances and location. I was a technical diver out west. Nitrox, rescue diving, search + recovery, night dives, deep water dives. Out of practice anymore, but hopefully one day I'll get back into it.

See ya

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Edited by Diver (03/09/05 05:57 PM)

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Casings Are Made and ready to GO [Re: Holydiver]
    #3926098 - 03/16/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

So i made 3 casings. Two have 3 jars in them, and 1 has 4 jars in it. I am using aluminum foil baking pans, inside of a Rubbermaid container. They are in a colder fruiting environment, maybe a few degrees chillier than they would be optimum at, but nonetheless, still efficient enough i hope.

I now am worried about the humidity in the container. I noticed it wasn't airtight and am thinking about possibly putting a thin gasket around the inside of the top.

Ive read a lot about casings being self contained as far as humidity goes, but i left my casings on the dry side. the PK tek cakes were extremely dry, which now thinking back makes me think i shouldve dunked them. The vermiculite was saturated, but not over saturated at all, i did the bottom layer wetter than the casing layer. I cased in 100 percent vermiculite.

Should i add perlite to the bottom of the container just to be safe, or should the fruiting chamber stay humid enough by itself??

Also Ive read a lot of contradicting information as far as how often casings/fruiting chambers need to be fanned and misted; what is the best routine?

Sorry if this is repetitive but i just want to make sure i do everything right. Also tomorrow i will be starting new jars wit hthe ones i cleaned out today.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casings Are Made and ready to GO [Re: miiddiesman024]
    #3926225 - 03/16/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Casings are way more forgiving. george castanza and some others can pull 14 grams off a single cake, uncased. It can be done if you can do it well.

But I skipped cakes and have no issue with grains and casings, so easy and simple...huge yeilds. All you need is a PC..only reason for PF tek is no PC IMO (unless you just really like cakes :shrug:)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Casings Are Made and ready to GO [Re: miiddiesman024]
    #3926393 - 03/16/05 04:00 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Should i add perlite to the bottom of the container just to be safe, or should the fruiting chamber stay humid enough by itself??

That depends on the region in which you live. My area is so dry that I am forced to use perlite with every grow, including casings and bulk. You'll have to experiment to see what works for you.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineClozedeyez20
amature mycologist
Male

Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: miiddiesman024]
    #3927630 - 03/16/05 08:01 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

SURFACE AREA. Casings have a lot more surface area to create fruits. Think about all the substrate in the MIDDLE/CORE of the cake that isn't fruiting... the casing spreads it all over to create more even surface area. Casings are worth it  :thumbup:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: Clozedeyez20]
    #3927650 - 03/16/05 08:05 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Sam1912 still has the most amazing cake i've ever seen, havent seen him around tho :frown:

Try a search and ck out his cakes, it'll make u look at everyone elses and go.."No wonder they do casings"..haha

Gl

-Gnostic

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3927666 - 03/16/05 08:07 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: agar]
    #3927780 - 03/16/05 08:26 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

lol :smirk:

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing increasing yields.. im a skeptic need some clearifying [Re: agar]
    #3929071 - 03/17/05 03:42 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:

That says it all.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck