Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g?
    #3925975 - 03/16/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Ok. I had a liquid culture that was ok and so I sucked up a 60cc syringe and tossed it (Brazils by the way)...I shot up about 18 jars and after two weeks, none took. I pulled them out to use for grain to grain transfers since I had lots of spawn and not many substrate jars. Didnt really care if they got mixed, werent being printed or anything so strain wasnt imporant if brazils got in there somehow. Well I stuck them off to the side and didnt get around to using them for another week and when I pulled them out, all were still clean but one:

There were two growth spots as you can see, with one center starting point and RHIZO growth going out from there. Well I shook it up and put it in the incubator and it tore through the rest of it. Now I am unsure if it will make good spawn for grain to grain. One side of me says yes, the growth is great...but the other says its old and wont perform well since it tok so long to start. So I guess I need to know if healthy mycelium can take a while to start like this from a culture (that was in the fridge that stays around 34-38 for 3 months or so and before that, an incubator for 2 months).

By the way, the other jars all germinated from the grains mixed in and colonized quickly and were used to spawn to some straw... I'm almost positive theres no brazils in there and all amazon and creeper..either way prints wont be taken..I still have spores..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3926027 - 03/16/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Only one way to find out :wink:

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #3926033 - 03/16/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Nice looking growth. I love the shape!

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3926037 - 03/16/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

It's been my experience that fridge stored cultures can be a bit sluggish to get moving again, but once out of "hibernation" they perform well. I say use it.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: Photoguy]
    #3926053 - 03/16/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I should be more specific...I WILL be using this to grain to grain some jars...but my question is..I have 24 jars ready to go now..which will spawn to 12 bulk casings...do I try out this stuff now or just go with some spores I have? The g2g would be the quicker method and I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I dont want to rush it if this is gonna give be 24 jars of crappy spawn in a week..or do I go with something tried and true.

I'm thinking that even though its old, this rhizo growth was/is incredible and would give me excellent results..I'm wondering if others think the same or think the age will hurt it. If the age will probably hurt it, then it'll only be spawned to 12 jars or so..but if its gonna turn out good...I'll stick it to all the jars I got at the moment ready to go (25+ give or take I think)

Edit:
The above was written before seeing dogs reply, thanks for that..will take it into consideration. I'd like to continue geting feedback, if no real naysayers I'll be using it with all the jars..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Edited by scatmanrav (03/16/05 03:10 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3927098 - 03/16/05 06:22 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Odd, out of that many LC innoc'ed jars, only one took off.

I say USE IT. Healthy myc is healthy myc.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: agar]
    #3927250 - 03/16/05 06:47 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I thought it odd too...lots of chunks of myc were in the syringe too...stupid 21 guage needles might hurt my liquid cultures though...I've always thought thats why they take some time...

Ok, I shall use it...these damn things gave me lots of problem when I had shitty mycelium. No idea why but one culture I made just aborted all to hell...to many pins to support it I always thought. Brazils either come up beautiful or all aborts for me....

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3927319 - 03/16/05 07:05 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I have found if you top spawn substrate to heavy with grain spawn, then cut the incubation period a little short. You get a million pins & lots of aborts. I think the pinning is initiated from the grains, rather than the whole of the substrate. The grains arent getting the full support of the whole substrate, which IMHO leads to lots of aborts. Just my silly opionion.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rhizo growth after over 3 weeks before germinating..good spawn for g2g? [Re: agar]
    #3928203 - 03/16/05 09:53 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I've also noticed slow initial growth coming out of hybernation but as dog said once it acclimates and it sounds like yours has you have a keeper! If it's ripping through then it's a known vigorous substrain! Besides that isn't old. GL Bro

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3928226 - 03/16/05 09:58 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
I think the pinning is initiated from the grains, rather than the whole of the substrate. The grains arent getting the full support of the whole substrate, which IMHO leads to lots of aborts. Just my silly opionion.

I think this needs a thread of its own....Very curious into this.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3929190 - 03/17/05 05:40 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
I have found if you top spawn substrate to heavy with grain spawn, then cut the incubation period a little short. You get a million pins & lots of aborts. I think the pinning is initiated from the grains, rather than the whole of the substrate. The grains arent getting the full support of the whole substrate, which IMHO leads to lots of aborts. Just my silly opionion.

While this is possible that it happens..makes perfect sense from trays I've initiated to soon..first flush seems spares and crapola if the bulk isnt fully colonized.........the above trays of all aborts were 3 quarts of straight rye, fully colonized and then cased and fruited a few days later at normal time. And the rest of the flushes continued doing the same..but with a few more maturing..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract