Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
As Before, So Later
    #3923693 - 03/16/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

People tend to look only forward, at their aging and their eventual death, where they fear they will suddenly no longer exist, or other fears of this nature. But this wouldn't be the only time they didn't exist- look before this moment closer, and see your birth. The period before your birth would be like the period after your death, due to the fact that you didn't exist in either of them, correct? And just as your consciousness seemingly came out of nothing before your birth, perhaps after the end of your existence in this life you will also be recreated, and perhaps you will even look back and just see a perpetual void, incomprehensible to the short-term linear mind we currently possess.

Why put so much emphasis on nonexistence from death, when we have already experienced nonexistence before? The period before my birth seemed to be fine to me- I don't remember any of it. Why would the period after my death be any different?

The past is regarded by the mind like one would read a fiction novel. After all, not many people can really comprehend the fact that Jesus, and the Buddha, and Caesar, and Khan, experienced life just as they do right now hundreds or thousands of years ago. But even a few decades ago, just an atom's movement of the blink of an eye in terms of the universe, we cannot remember, and therefore often disregard, when in fact the past could contain the answers we've been looking for just as much, or even more, than the future. We are here to think of our nonexistence before birth, after all. Who's to say we'll have that same advantage after the nonexistence of death?

We walk towards the black ignorance at the end of the tunnel which we call the future, in which nothing is certain, and not even existence is illuminated, but the light lies behind us. We have seen it once before, yet we have forgotten it already. Perhaps humans should try retracing their steps and learning from what they flew by in impatience rather than trying to crawl towards the black end of the tunnel encompassed by fear of when it suddenly ends and they fall off.

So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: As Before, So Later [Re: Ravus]
    #3924415 - 03/16/05 06:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

very true. everyone has already been dead, at least once. if one could remember conciousness before birth it would probably be one of the most enlightening experiences possible.

Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: As Before, So Later [Re: alsey]
    #3924568 - 03/16/05 09:20 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

lord buddha remembered all of his thousands of previous incarnations, & let them go so that he could show us how to avoid being trapped in the seemingly endless series of lives, represented (on some level) by the turning of the wheel...
like alan watts said:
how is being born many times any more astonishing than being born once?
as the ocean "waves", the universe "peoples"...

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: As Before, So Later [Re: gnrm23]
    #3924623 - 03/16/05 09:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As Before, So Later:
Many analogies remain ambiguous, like re-incarnation.

Does it really mean something like transmigration of a spirit/soul/self (neither ego nor not)?

Or might it refer to the endless stream of incarnation of attitude from the strange and abstract bardo of memory instead (or as well as a expiring and living again as a baby etc.).

In this frame of existence, I do not remember any other life, yet I am aware of sequence of selves so I like to consider re-incarnation as functionally allegorical to the process of ongoing consciousness, being born and dying every moment.

I have made an effort to improve my own handing off edges ? as if there is a part of each attitude that can be softened or mutual-ized, so that the next self can establish itself fairly. I am trying to hand off to myself so that I don?t need to be defensive, I am constantly releasing body armor so that the endless stream of waking up is from a softer leather body.

I am interested to be more transparent to myself in each moment so that when I get stacked, I can see through myself more easily, letting more light through as it were.

Handing off, letting go, transparency are the principles I am using to enhance my experience of As Before, So Later.

Re: As Before, So Later [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3924696 - 03/16/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

there is a big difference between the period before birth and the period after death. the existence we experience here on earth is itself a giant difference. the question is: will my experience on earth influence in any way what I'll experience after death?

after sleeping we usually wake up in a different state of mind. dreams can make us wake up cheerful, nightmares can make us wake up crying.

people who are not at peace with their existence on earth many times seem to experience more difficulty departing this world.

almost every religion proclaims existence beyond death depending on your actions on earth.

is that only morals?
I don't know. all I know is I'm alive right now.

irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: As Before, So Later [Re: a_h_w]
    #3924733 - 03/16/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

just being picky:

a_h_w said:
almost every religion proclaims existence beyond death depending on your actions on earth.

I often wonder why they feed us that story, might it be because the jails are full?
(an international resurgence of government sanctioned organized fundamental religions is really disturbing my sense of modern democracy and enlightenment)

a_h_w said:
all I know is I'm alive right now.

Me too

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology