Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars
    #3919109 - 03/15/05 02:35 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

In the absence of a Pressure cooker I mean. I know you can use the PF TEK method (brown rice flour etc) and just boil the jars to hell. But could I place the jars and whole grain substrate in a water bath, inside of a dutch oven (or something similar), in the oven, and bake at 300? Would this work as a suitable sterilization method for whole grains? It seems like it could work. The most important part is the temp right?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3919174 - 03/15/05 02:47 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Don't do the oven thing. Just put them in a large pot and steam them for 90 minutes like you would a pc tek. You only have to lightly steam them. 2-3 on most stoves works great. Only add enough water in the pot to go halfway up the bottom layer of jars.

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3919221 - 03/15/05 02:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I might be misunderstanding you, because i dont know what whole grain "subs" means... Other than that... The problem with sterilizing grain in the oven would be that it is dry heat. The reason a pc works is because it raises the temperature of the water by increased pressure.... Water boils at around 212 F.... But significantly higher in a pc.... I dont think this will work in an oven, because i believe the jars would dry out. If you have time, and are willing to maybe waste some.... Then go for it brother, if it works for you, great..... Good luck either way.... Peace bro

Ps.... The pressure also helps penetrate the grains... Therefore properly sterilizing... I now understand subs... meaning substrates right?  :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: Floydseamus]
    #3919232 - 03/15/05 02:59 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Note: The steam sterilizing in a pot only works with brf and not whole grains.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3919983 - 03/15/05 09:13 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wont work, sorry!

And I dont believe its that the substrate will dry out, if done in an oven the PF Tek jars would dry out too. They dont because they are done in a pot of water in the oven. You'd think whole grains might act the same, but the problem is the temperature..I believe the only way for the substrate to get higher then 212 degrees, it needs to be pressurized.

If you try this (pot of water in the oven), you wont dry out the jars, but you'll have a bloom of contams...the pressure issure not getting the water to 250 is the only reason I can see for this...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3920473 - 03/15/05 12:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok,
That makes sense. I've been wracking my brain for ways to sterilize whole grain substrates without a pressure canner. The PC's cost way more than I can spend right now and their not very prevalent at yard sales/thrifties around here. Since brown rice flour can be sterilized well enough without one what about other flours?

After reading the TEKs I was thinking about the possibillity of mixing up a different flour mixture: quinoa flour, brown rice flour, flax meal flour and maybe spelt or corn meal flour, mineral water and vermiculite for a more nutritive and fatty substrate.

Has anyone tried using other flours using the PF-TEK successfully?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
    #3920525 - 03/15/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

rye flour works, thats all I've ever used. I've heard wheat flour turns into goo.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: shroommachine]
    #3920586 - 03/15/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I got both of those pressure cookers from two seperate ebay deals..the closest, 30 bucks shipped, the furthest 20 bucks shipped. Each holds 10 quart jars...WELL worth the investment.

You can use any flour for the PF Tek, many do...I wouldnt be so complicated though, just BRF, or ground WBS (wild bird seed, like 4 bucks for 20 pounds anywhere), or ground rye or something...try and keep your ingredients simple, especially for your first grow. WBS is simple too and contains multiple grains so it may be good to use. I have never done the PF Tek myself so I cant say from experience, just bought the PCs and went right to grains. I can tell you its well worth it to do so!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Using an oven and water bath to sterilize whole grain subs and jars [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3920736 - 03/15/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ebay,
Good idea. I've not used it much so I did'nt think of it as an option. I'll look into it.
Thanks.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3921088 - 03/15/05 03:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Good luck!

There are many here who know PCs well and may be able to help, if you have questions or unsurities about some auctions you may find, if your worried about ending up with a bunk PC. Often older ones that are cheaper like mine can have bad seals...but if you read the auctions you can tell who has owned it and used it and if they say it works well and they have good feedback, you can usually trust it.

One of the ones (the closest) didnt work well when I recieved it. Took forever to pressurize. After a few months, I looked at the seal and it wasnt in all the way..I just pushed in the little bit that wasnt in and it works INCREDIBLY now. The other one putzed out after 6 months of use when I fell asleep and ran it dry (after 9 hours), burnt the grain and melted the tyvek off. Still works great for boiling water, just wont hold pressure.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation