Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
WTF did I do to my PC?
    #3919057 - 03/15/05 12:23 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Before any brutal criticism for being an idiot, I should mention that I already feel like a complete moron so it's not necessary.  :fork:

During a conversation with my roommate I loaded some karo jars and syringes into the the PC and turned the stove burner on as per usual. I noticed after about 20 minutes that the pressure was hardly rising at all. I took it off the burner, flipped the pressure release valve to rescrew the posts in case the lid was on wrong...no steam came out. Yup, I forgot to add the water.

I added the normal 1/2"-1" of water and put it back on the burner. I heard a pop a few minutes later and steam started coming out of the nut on top of the lid, which now has an empty hole straight through. The pressure had barely risen when it happened, so it must have been the dry run that caused it.

Though I'd like to buy a nice new American PC I can't afford it right now. If anyone knows how I can fix it up I would greatly appreciate the help. :thanx:

This is an old All American 910...

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this post but I figured you guys would know best.

--------------------
Note: This post is entirely false. The author of this post is a delusional schizophrenic living in a fantasy world and the fantastical information within the post is a direct result of excess exposure to cable television.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: WTF did I do to my PC? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: wynzlo]
    #3919091 - 03/15/05 12:29 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Post deleted by hotnutz

Reason for deletion: stoned

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: wynzlo]
    #3919111 - 03/15/05 12:36 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

That is an old style AA one time pop/off safety valve.

You can either replace it with the newer rubber one ($3.50 + s/h), or buy another pressure release toggle valve ($15.50 + s/h)& screw it in the hole.

Do a google search for parts.

--------------------

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3919121 - 03/15/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

You might be right but I get the impression that American PC's rarely need to be chucked. I found this in a parts listing:

https://store.wafco.com/ezmerchant/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p36?OpenDocument

Thing is, I'm not sure what was filling that hole previously. There is some melted black crap on the bottom which could have been that little rubber piece.

--------------------
Note: This post is entirely false. The author of this post is a delusional schizophrenic living in a fantasy world and the fantastical information within the post is a direct result of excess exposure to cable television.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3919128 - 03/15/05 12:40 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

See if the old pop/off will unthread & if you can remove it. It should. You can replace it with the newer one you found. Also - see if thread is the same as the relief toggle. If so, replace it with another relief toggle. Costs more, but lasts a lot longer. Relief toggle releases around 24 / 26 pounds.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3919145 - 03/15/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

That's my bad. I just noticed it. That's what that part is for. If it were to go overboard on the steam pressure, 22-25 psi. That will blow out before the lid goes through the roof. LOL

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: agar]
    #3919181 - 03/15/05 12:49 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks agar, that's exactly what I was hoping for. You're saying that I can simply replace the little rubber thing (which obviously bites it if the pressure gets too high) OR replace it with the release valve instead? I couldn't find anything about a toggle valve...

Does that look like #68 & #69 to you?

https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/produ...acement%20Parts

--------------------

Edited by wynzlo (03/15/05 12:53 AM)

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3919220 - 03/15/05 12:57 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Sorry about that. Mine is a little different.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3919274 - 03/15/05 01:09 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

LOOK......... HERE:

--------------------

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
    #3919284 - 03/15/05 01:13 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I gotta say it. You guys are the bomb. Kudos for rescuing a PC I would've thought had to be chunked.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: Mages]
    #3919324 - 03/15/05 01:23 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks again agar. I apologize if this is a dumb question as I'm a but overtired right now, but you're saying that as long as it's the same thread I should just add a second release valve since it won't blow out again like the rubber piece?

The PC already has one on it but I never thought to use it to regulate pressure...I just used the stove knob.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3919356 - 03/15/05 01:30 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

YES....

The toggle release valve is a built in safety. It releases at 22 / 24 psi.

Adding another is better than replacing the pop/off. My AA 941 sterilizer has two (2) toggle release valves & no pop/off.

--------------------

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

#3919399 - 03/15/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks again man, I appreciate the help

I ordered a release valve...cost more than the PC did but it's certainly cheaper than a new one :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebarlo
nookian

#3919514 - 03/15/05 02:08 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Is agar mycota? agar are you mycota???  :confused:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: barlo]
    #3920041 - 03/15/05 07:30 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

His posts really give him away..way to scientific and logical.

I got one of them pressure release valves...for a magic seal...but the thing is pissa. Holds in steam until it gets to about 21-22 PSI then it has enough pressure to start spitting it out so the PC doesnt pop. Same idea behind the little rubber thing, but apparently only a one time thing! Good choice going with the valve..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: barlo]
    #3920220 - 03/15/05 08:46 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Indeed he is.

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: WTF did I do to my PC? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3946023 - 03/20/05 07:38 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Apparently the release valves are hard to come by now so I ended up replacing the overpressure plug with the valve/weight combo instead (the PC already has an original "toggle release valve").

My question now is: which should be more accurate as far as determining the correct pressure - the pressure gauge or the weight? With the weight sitting on the 15psi setting the pressure only reaches 10-12 psi MAX. Should I be pc'ing for longer or is that weight doing it's job? One thing that I noticed is that the thread where I added this new weight/valve thing is not completely vertical...maybe that's throwing it off?

I should have just followed agar's advice completely and searched a little harder for another toggle valve... :cuckoo:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3946238 - 03/20/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Not hard to come by, if you know where to LOOK.

Go here (the manufacturer)
WEB SITE

Click on ALL-AMERICAN Aluminum Sterilizers:

Then click on ALL-AMERICAN Portable Sterilizers Replacement Parts.

Then scroll down to # 65, Control Valve - Fits ALL-AMERICAN Pressure Steam Sterilizers only (releases at 23-28 psi) $13.25

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3947781 - 03/21/05 07:03 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

wynzlo said:
Apparently the release valves are hard to come by now so I ended up replacing the overpressure plug with the valve/weight combo instead (the PC already has an original "toggle release valve").

My question now is: which should be more accurate as far as determining the correct pressure - the pressure gauge or the weight? With the weight sitting on the 15psi setting the pressure only reaches 10-12 psi MAX. Should I be pc'ing for longer or is that weight doing it's job? One thing that I noticed is that the thread where I added this new weight/valve thing is not completely vertical...maybe that's throwing it off?

I should have just followed agar's advice completely and searched a little harder for another toggle valve... :cuckoo:

Id get the toggle valve myself but if you want to check if your pressure cooker is at 15 PSI you can use the PC test here:
http://www.fungifun.org/pcooker/

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates