Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
Why do they grow DOWN!
    #391762 - 09/11/01 11:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ive been cultivating now for awhile (equador) and all my mushrooms seem to always grow down. Also I am using perlite for humidity, and eventually every shroom hits the perlite, Is this a bad thing? Should I try to keep the mushrooms from touching the perlite?

"How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail, And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, How neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
Re: Why do they grow DOWN! [Re: Deviant]
    #391782 - 09/11/01 11:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

shrooms aim for the light...is your light source above the shrooms? do you have a clear terrarium where light is going all over? maybe you're casing and the casing layer isn't providing enough support for your shroomies? (i'm new but those are my guesses)

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
    #391787 - 09/11/01 11:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, Im using a clear terrarium, I figured the reason might be becasue the terrarium is in a closet and light only comes from one side and not to much of it is from the top, more or less the side. Thanks for the input

"How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail, And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, How neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #391810 - 09/12/01 12:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

From the situation you describe I can clearly see your problem. Mushooms are phototropic. This means that they do not need light for energy but rather use it for a sense of direction. Your mushrooms are seeing your bright white perlite as mother natures sky/sun and are growing towards that. Several minutes a day of overhead light should help this problem.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #391837 - 09/12/01 12:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

HQ and her jackal have noticed also that down-growing fruits happened when the casings were not adequately fanned (but had plenty of humidity). they were more twisted than really down-growing though b/c of the sporadic air exchange. but light is likely the culprit... unless its your casing layer (if youre casing) it might not be strong enough to hold the weight of the fruit, and it begins to bend down...

but i vote light.

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation