Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinered1
journeyman
Honeywater tek
    #388082 - 09/07/01 03:48 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Okay. The idea of using colonized straw to produce a mycelium syring won't work. The straw floats around too much to get the mycalium out cleanly. I'm thinking about trying the honey water tek to grow mycelium from a spore syringe and I'd like to know if organic honey is needed. Isn't all honey organic? I just bought a fresh jar of pasturized, 'natural', honey. Will this work? I dont plan to break the seal untill it is time to uses it to keep contams out. I'm sort of making this up as I go along and trying to make educated, I hope, guesses. If any knows anything about this it would be a big help.
Also, I read somewhere that you can save the trouble of making a spore print by sterilizing a mason jar and putting a fresh cap in. The idea was that once it has dropped its spores you remove the cap and add some sterilized water. At that point you can just draw a syringe from the solution.
Maybe its a dumb question but would a 9:1 H2O2 solution in the jar instead of straight water also help to keep things clean.
Just throwing out ideas.

--------------------
Don't Panic!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGiga_Funk
Re: Honeywater tek [Re: red1]
    #388123 - 09/07/01 04:38 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know that this question belongs here but...yes all honey is ...um...organic. Only bees can make honey...we humans have not found a way to synthesis honey. so better appriciate the honey while its here...keeping bees is harder than ever...there is actually some sort of honeybee plauge sweeping the states....btw i have kept bees(but now the only way to keep em is to buy all sorts of medicine to put in their hives..and that just breeds weeker bees so .....enjoy your honey folks...

When tripping and frolicking with unicorns, do NOT,under ANY circumstance, let them persuade you to play the innocent childrens game "leapfrog"

--------------------
I believe in magick

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #388234 - 09/07/01 07:23 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

you sterilize the honey water....so what' the pourpose to keep sealed???
anyway...you should use biological honey...without additives/preservatives....
the complete honey tek is in the grow/find section, under liquid mycelium/cultures...

IL_FUNGO_SACRO la coltivazione, gli enteogeni, in italiano
Support the FSR

Offlinesylo
addict
    #388516 - 09/08/01 03:14 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The cap in a jar is a good way to make a print. It helps to put a few pieces of broken glass in the jar because the spores stick to the glass and it is almost impossible shake them loose with just water. You can make a syringe at any time.
I have never had anything but failures with Honey Tek. One contam and the batch is ruined and, without a microscope, it is impossible to tell shroom mycelium from mold. They both look the same in submerged culture. H2O2 can be added but only AFTER the spores have germinated.

Offlineheathadelic

Re: Honeywater tek [Re: sylo]
    #391583 - 09/11/01 06:55 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Say one HAD a microscope or eight. How would one tell shroom mycelium from mold?

Swing the groove 'round here, so I can reach it -a.d.

--------------------
"...time is not money, time is an opportunity to live before you die."

OfflineDystopian Harbinger
Cheech Wizard

Re: Honeywater tek [Re: heathadelic]
    #391660 - 09/11/01 07:51 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I have played around with Honey Water and I did use it successfully. I did it just for recreation and not as part of regular methodology. There are just too many things that can go wrong with honey and if one is to bother to fire up a pressure cooker its just as simple to go with agar.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
-Nietzsche

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
-Nietzsche

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
    #392301 - 09/12/01 11:37 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I have had all successes with honey water, exept once, when I left the honey water growing for two months.

The honey is antibacterial so the chance of contaims is lower you only have to worry about molds and if you have a glove box you should be ok.

I make spore syringes by taking a 1/4 pint jar and putting a plastic lid on it. there is a hole in the lid in the middle wich is very small. I tape the hole shut and then put some water in the jar and microwave the jar with the lid on it for about 10 minutes.

then I put the jar in a glove box, when it is cooled I take the tape off the hole, take the lid off the jar, and run i a sterilezed paper clip in the shape of a "T" into the hole.

then I retake over the arms of the "T", stab a cap with the body of the "T" and rescrew the lid on. Let sit over night and the cap will drop it's spores into the water. the just suck it up with a syringe and use.

larry

Dispite his racial handicap, this man is very important to me, he not just some ding-bat I picked up on the strip.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Offlinesylo
addict
Re: Honeywater tek [Re: heathadelic]
    #393057 - 09/13/01 03:14 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Shroom mycelium is aseptate. The mycelium is long and branching and not separated by septa into frequent individual cells. If you have a dry piece of clear bubbler tubing, that is what shroom cells look like except they branch and interconnect. Mold cells look like bubbler tubing that has been drained but still has bits of water left inside.

Offlinekidrhubarb
Stranger
    #393179 - 09/13/01 08:13 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hello sylo, i have to take issue with your statement about septation in the higher fungi, also known as the basidiomyceats. the fungi in this classification are what we call the mushrooms, and reproduce by the formation of a basidium. also the mycelium is all septate, yet there is formations called "clamp conections". these clamp conections do alow for the exchange of the genetic information. so in effect "shroom mycelium" does have septation, it just works in a very interesting way, and cytoplasmic transfer is still allowed.
kidrhubarb-

Edited by kidrhubarb on 09/13/01 01:04 PM.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract