Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased
    #3914700 - 03/14/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050313/ap_en_tv/news_study

Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased

Sun Mar 13, 2:19 PM ET Television - AP

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - A study of news coverage of the war in Iraq (news - web sites) fails to support a conclusion that events were portrayed either negatively or positively most of the time.

The Project for Excellence in Journalism looked at nearly 2,200 stories on television, newspapers and Web sites and found that most of them couldn't be categorized either way.

Twenty-five percent of the stories were negative and 20 percent were positive, according to the study, released Sunday by the Washington-based think tank.

Despite the exhaustive look, the study likely won't change the minds of war supporters who considered the media hostile to the Bush administration, or opponents who think reporters weren't questioning enough, said Tom Rosenstiel, the project's director.

"There was enough of both to annoy both camps," he said. "But the majority of stories were just news."

Rosenstiel said most people understand the complexities of what is going on in Iraq, how continued suicide bombings can happen at the same time as a successful election.

The three network evening newscasts tended to be more negative than positive, while the opposite was true of morning shows, the study said. Fox News Channel was twice as likely to be positive than negative (Woah!! Big Shock!), unlike the more evenhanded CNN and MSNBC, the study said.

A more limited look at campaign coverage found that 36 percent of stories on President Bush (news - web sites) were negative, compared to 12 percent for Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites). Stories were positive 20 percent of the time for Bush, 30 percent for Kerry, said the project, which examined some 250 stories for tone.

"I don't know whether this was because he was the incumbent or because a lot of the coverage of the campaign was filtered through events in Iraq," Rosenstiel said. "It's probably a little of both."

The project's annual study of the state of journalism found that the idea of categorizing people as getting their news primarily from television or newspapers is becoming outdated. A Pew Research Center poll of 3,000 people last spring found that more than one-third of news consumers regularly check out at least four different kinds of news outlets, among the Web, newspapers, magazines, radio and local, national or cable TV.

Americans are now "news grazers," the study said.

Throw in Web logs, and "everyone is getting this sort of Mixmaster blend of journalism," Rosenstiel said. "Traditional journalism is a smaller part of that mix than it used to be."

Yet the project found that much of the investment in the news business goes to packaging information instead of gathering it. More than half of people at Web news organizations surveyed by Pew said they had seen cutbacks in their newsrooms over the past three years.

The notion that Americans are headed toward a more partisan form of news consumption isn't borne out by research, Rosenstiel said. With the exception of Republican cable news viewers who prefer Fox, most media consumption mirrors the population in general.

The Project for Excellence in Journalism is affiliated with the Columbia University School of Journalism. The study was funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3914721 - 03/14/05 03:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The Associated Press is a not-for-profit cooperative, which means it is owned by its 1,500 U.S. daily newspaper members. They elect a board of directors that directs the cooperative.

(Taken from the AP website)

Yeah... glad I hear it directly from the AP... they know a lot about what is biased and not.

That's equivalent to politicians talking about the nature of Fox News being unbiased... All news is biased, especially one that retains as much influence as the AP.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3914742 - 03/14/05 03:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've seen Reuters be biased. I haven't noticed too much bias with AP. However, it is possible that I missed some stuff.

That said, I do not doubt that little blurb about Fox News.

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
    #3914766 - 03/14/05 03:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's just the fact that they show romantized images of American soldiers and things of that nature. I have yet to see an Iraqi civilian casualty's picture on U.S. major news broadcasts.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: trick]
    #3914782 - 03/14/05 03:51 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have yet to see an Iraqi civilian casualty's picture on U.S. major news broadcasts.

Huh? I've seen tons of pictures and videos of Iraqi civilians in hospitals and shit like that.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3915283 - 03/14/05 07:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: CJay]
    #3925312 - 03/16/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

what does "bias" mean in this survey? its a pretty vague term.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3925458 - 03/16/05 02:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

A group of liberals think that Fox has a pro-US bias?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: SoopaX]
    #3925997 - 03/16/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have seen plenty of negative news. We went war with two countries and liberated 40-50 million people. We sowed the seeds of democracy, and those seeds are apparently spreading throughout the muslim world. We did all this in just a few years and with less American combat deaths than we had Americans die on 9-11. And people keep stating about our obvious mistakes and mishaps like it is a given fact that the war has been prosecuted poorly.

Imagine if we were going to make predictions before the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. Imagine if someone in the media had predicted that we would lose less than 2,000 troops and that in 3 years time both Afghanistan and Iraq would have held free and fair elections. I think it is amazing we haven't lost 10,000+. I could not imagine this war going any better at the onset.

I don't think that Fox has been as positive as they could be about these developments. But it looks to me that they were right and the others were wrong.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Report: Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3930941 - 03/17/05 04:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
We went war with two countries and liberated 40-50 million people.

We invaded 2 soverign nations, 1 under false pretenses, and pissed off about 30 million people.

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
  We sowed the seeds of democracy, and those seeds are apparently spreading throughout the muslim world.

Democracy at the barrel of a gun isn't really a democracy.

Quote:

We did all this in just a few years and with less American combat deaths than we had Americans die on 9-11.

:thumbup:

Quote:

I could not imagine this war going any better at the onset.

Thank god Iraq had no WMD, we would have been screwed if they did. Maybe someone knew something.

Quote:

I don't think that Fox has been as positive as they could be about these developments.  But it looks to me that they were right and the others were wrong.

They came out on top, right and wrong have no place in a discussion about war.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
    #3931189 - 03/17/05 05:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

I have yet to see an Iraqi civilian casualty's picture on U.S. major news broadcasts.

Huh? I've seen tons of pictures and videos of Iraqi civilians in hospitals and shit like that.

On major U.S. news network broadcasts? I'm talking about the pictures of people with no limbs & such. The real realities of war.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion