Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3912563 - 03/13/05 05:28 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

For some reason an average number of 2.3 K comes to mind.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: dblaney]
    #3912608 - 03/13/05 05:44 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

A black hole is a collapsed dead star that has so much gravity it acts like a huge vacuum cleaner, sucking everything into it. Such as light, interstellar dust, and time.

There can be no temperature. Even if there were molecules to generate temperature, they would be sucked into it.

I would fly into one, if it was possible....even if it meant my demise.

OfflineAnjaba
Yet to trip....
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa
Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3912614 - 03/13/05 05:46 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Would the thermometer really be indicating the temperature of space, or would the reading on the thermometer actually be the temperature of the thermometer itself. The radiation from the sun would travel through space and not excite any molecules, therefore temperature would be non-existent. When you put a thermometer in the path of the radiation the molecules in the thermometer are what's getting excited, there still is no kinetic energy outside of the thermometer.

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: Anjaba]
    #3912713 - 03/13/05 06:07 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I don't think a mercury thermometer would work in space. I think the mercury would freeze....

I'm not a scientist though...

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3912751 - 03/13/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Still, if you put a thermometer in space with no light or heat source around and absolutely no background radiation, you'd get the temperature reading of 2.7279K (0K =absolute zero=-273C) - the temperature of the space if you please. It was determined by the NASA COBE satellite in 1992. This is, however, not the temperature of space itself, but that of the primordial cosmic background radiation left over from the Big Bang. No matter where you go, you cannot escape it.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: ivi]
    #3912780 - 03/13/05 06:27 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I :heart: Earths atmosphere.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3912799 - 03/13/05 06:30 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

sounds like a movie trailer ," primordial cosmic background radiation left over from the Big Bang. No matter where you go, you cannot escape it. "
:tongue: :tongue2:

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3912866 - 03/13/05 06:42 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

ivi said:
Still, if you put a thermometer in space with no light or heat source around and absolutely no background radiation, you'd get the temperature reading of 2.7279K (0K =absolute zero=-273C) - the temperature of the space if you please. It was determined by the NASA COBE satellite in 1992. This is, however, not the temperature of space itself, but that of the primordial cosmic background radiation left over from the Big Bang. No matter where you go, you cannot escape it.

Correct.

Anjaba: Temperature is just energy. So being in space would have you absorbing energy in the form of photons and collisions with particles, such as those generated by solar wind.
The temperature of the thermometer would vary according to how much energy was imparted upon it by said sources.

Believe it or not, cooling systems are required on spacecraft due to the abosrbtion of solar radiation/particles, otherwise they'd fry.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #3913767 - 03/13/05 09:47 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:
..in a vacuum, there are no molecules, and since there aren't any molecules, there cannot be a temperature...

space is a vacuum in theory but there are definitely molecules, dust, gas (and mushroom spores heh) floating around out there

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: BoneMan]
    #3913777 - 03/13/05 09:49 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Oh yeah, certainly, but I mean 'pure' outer space, the pollution and junk and gases floating around out there don't count :grin:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinemca0824
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #24223669 - 04/06/17 07:11 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Well that's a good question.  The answer is not so simple.  Temperature is equal to a subjects vibration. like if water is rapidly vibrating it begins to boil and some of it is moving so quickly that some of it escapes as steam.  If water is vibrating very slowly it turns to ice.  So fast motion = hot  slow motion = cold.  In space their is no atmosphere to vibrate so no heat transfer.  If you are in view of the sun however you will be interacting with the suns rays and you will vibrate rapidly so you will get hot, very hot.  The further from the sun you are the less of the suns rays you will interact with so you would get cooler as you are further away.  If you are not in view of the sun then you would not have anything around moving so you would vibrate slower. So you would be cold.  very cold. Like minus 400 degrees f cold.  In short, it depends on your proximity to the nearest star, atmosphere, etc..

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: mca0824]
    #24223769 - 04/06/17 07:48 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I typed out a response and right as I was about to submit it I accidentally deleted the whole thing. It would be great if android could be updated to 1985 and incorporate an undo function.

Onlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
    #24223812 - 04/06/17 08:04 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney said:
Depends on where. Clearly the vast majority of outer space is vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no such thing as temperature. Temperature is a measure of kinetic molecular energy, but in a vacuum, there are no molecules, and since there aren't any molecules, there cannot be a temperature. However, planetary and celestial bodies aside, there are gases in outer space, and they can range in temperature from 2K to millions of degrees K.

An interesting question would be what temperature is a black hole.

Exactly. There is no temperature where there are no molecules. I think it's said though that the moon is a good example of how well temperature is conducted in a vacuum with no atmosphere. If I'm not mistaken the moon is a hundred or so above absolute zero at night and over the temperature that water boils at in the sun. That of course is relative to the sun's position.

If the moon was like the earth it might have an atmosphere that would regulate the heat and hold in temperature at night. If so in it's relative position to the sun it's very possible life would be found on it.

Maybe this is what OP was looking for though.

http://jdetrick.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-happens-to-atom-when-it-stops.html?m=1

The absolute coldest temperature. I wish that was an updated article.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Onlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: mca0824]
    #24223820 - 04/06/17 08:06 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mca0824 said:
Well that's a good question.  The answer is not so simple.  Temperature is equal to a subjects vibration. like if water is rapidly vibrating it begins to boil and some of it is moving so quickly that some of it escapes as steam.  If water is vibrating very slowly it turns to ice.  So fast motion = hot  slow motion = cold.  In space their is no atmosphere to vibrate so no heat transfer.  If you are in view of the sun however you will be interacting with the suns rays and you will vibrate rapidly so you will get hot, very hot.  The further from the sun you are the less of the suns rays you will interact with so you would get cooler as you are further away.  If you are not in view of the sun then you would not have anything around moving so you would vibrate slower. So you would be cold.  very cold. Like minus 400 degrees f cold.  In short, it depends on your proximity to the nearest star, atmosphere, etc..

Speaking of water there is no "water" in space. "Water" is held together by the pressure of the atmosphere. In space it's ice at 32 F and boils at 33 F. It's one of my favorite molecules, and of course a very critical one to my life function.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: imachavel]
    #24223836 - 04/06/17 08:11 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

There's no such thing as a true vacuum though, it can't physically exist, so it makes no sense to ask what the temperature would be. On the quantum level space itself fluctuates with energy and matter popping into and out of existence so even if somehow you could create a complete vacuum it would not last. If something were at absolute zero it would also expand to fill all of space itself which is obviously impossible. Absolute zero is just the theoretical bottom.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24223843 - 04/06/17 08:15 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

mca0824 said:

Speaking of water there is no "water" in space. "Water" is held together by the pressure of the atmosphere. In space it's ice at 32 F and boils at 33 F. It's one of my favorite molecules, and of course a very critical one to my life function.

Are you saying the molecular bonds would break and it would become hydrogen and oxygen or are you saying that when water freezes or evaporates that it's no longer water?

Onlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the temperature of outer space and why? [Re: krypto2000]
    #24223908 - 04/06/17 08:36 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

mca0824 said:

Are you saying the molecular bonds would break and it would become hydrogen and oxygen or are you saying that when water freezes or evaporates that it's no longer water?

I don't know how to break those molecular bonds. I think radiation will destroy water but it's a pretty stable molecule as it based one two very simple atoms.

What I meant is water does not exist as a liquid in space, with no gravity to hold in air pressure whatever cannot exist. As a liquid. It boils at 212 F at sea level. As a gas or in ice form in a vaccum

--------------------

Onlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#24223922 - 04/06/17 08:40 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
There's no such thing as a true vacuum though, it can't physically exist, so it makes no sense to ask what the temperature would be. On the quantum level space itself fluctuates with energy and matter popping into and out of existence so even if somehow you could create a complete vacuum it would not last. If something were at absolute zero it would also expand to fill all of space itself which is obviously impossible. Absolute zero is just the theoretical bottom.

What about in a black hole? That kind of goes beyond our measure of understanding something beyond a theoretical concept though, as no one has proven a black hole actually exists.

Yes no one believe absolute zero could exists, as no motion = no energy and atoms are made up of energy. I suppose you could say a pure vacuum would equal absolute zero but then if a perfect vacuum can't exist then surely absolute zero can't exist.

--------------------

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24223947 - 04/06/17 08:49 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

What do you mean no one has proven a black hole exists? We've observed them in space, there's one in the center of our galaxy as every other.

Onlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#24223964 - 04/06/17 08:56 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

It's theory there is no proof. It's barely a proven theory. If inference is elimination of other outcomes and we know other things can fuck with optic measurements then how do we know they exist?

Certain equations based on using uncertain variables? It's impossible to turn the theory of a black hole into a proven scientific law. Impossible I tell you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom