Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJudgeHacksaw
The Judge hasspoken.

First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s..
    #3910369 - 03/13/05 02:39 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

After lurking the forums for a while, i finally started my own grow. The town im currently in is rather small--so some of the supplies i had to improvise with.

My jars are sitting in an age-old metal cooler for now, until i construct something more "permanent." I started off perhaps a little ambitiously--using 1 quart jars and a WBS tek. I have four 1 quart jars total, two which are being PC'd right now (finally), one that is fully colonized, and one that is the failure in my experiment.

In addition to those, i wanted to see how fast a smaller jar would colonize in comparison to the 1 quart jar. On a whim, i gathered some pickle jars and made them ready. Sure i probably will have trouble with the mouth of the jar, but its all in the name of science .

Here what stage my entire ghetto setup has reached:

Take special note of the shoddy job i have done with the rubber-bands and tape, in addition to coffee filters and the band-aids. I have been lucky thus far, though. Zero sign of contams.

The strain these jars have been inoculated with is B+. Here is a closer look at the small pickle jars i have just recently inoculated which show growth after just three days:

And finally the finished 1-quart jar:

I tried my best to keep the temperature consistant, but its been difficult. Soon im contemplating a TiT setup, or something on a larger scale. Temps usually range from 77-82 degrees.

Since my single quart jar is finished, im going to be setting up a fruiting chamber soon similar to a martha using a personal green house that a local store sells. These forums have been a great help throughout.

A few questions i do have are..
-What casing would you recommend?
-What is a good incubation chamber setup for around 10-20 jars? Rubbermaid bins? How would one maintain the temperature.

I think thats all i can remember right now.

--------------------

Edited by KaZe (03/13/05 02:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s.. [Re: JudgeHacksaw]
    #3910460 - 03/13/05 03:38 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

You should go with your idea of a tub in tub as far as the incubation setup should be. You can get titanium fishtank heaters that have a indicator and automatic shutoff to regulate the temperature, look on ebay, you can also find them in local hydroponic stores; it sounded like you might not have one of those.
If you do some research on here there are tutorials on how to make these step by step.

As far as your casing goes, there are alot of good ones out there. One of the easiest in my opinion is a 60/40 verm/coco coir.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s.. [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3910461 - 03/13/05 03:38 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Good job on your success by the way.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleJudgeHacksaw
The Judge hasspoken.

Re: First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s.. [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3910702 - 03/13/05 08:15 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You should go with your idea of a tub in tub as far as the incubation setup should be. You can get titanium fishtank heaters that have a indicator and automatic shutoff to regulate the temperature, look on ebay, you can also find them in local hydroponic stores; it sounded like you might not have one of those.
If you do some research on here there are tutorials on how to make these step by step.

As far as your casing goes, there are alot of good ones out there. One of the easiest in my opinion is a 60/40 verm/coco coir.

Thanks for the TiT and casing advice. Its looking as if i am going to take the verm/cococoir route.

--------------------

Offlineaxis_tech
Rollin' Stoned

#3910926 - 03/13/05 10:21 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

KaZe said:

In addition to those, i wanted to see how fast a smaller jar would colonize in comparison to the 1 quart jar. On a whim, i gathered some pickle jars and made them ready. Sure i probably will have trouble with the mouth of the jar, but its all in the name of science

You could allway's use the pickle jars for casing's gl :thumbup:

--------------------
takes a token' and keeps on smoken'

InvisibleJudgeHacksaw
The Judge hasspoken.

Re: First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s.. [Re: axis_tech]
    #3911098 - 03/13/05 11:13 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Is there a difference in yield when it comes to casing vs cake?

--------------------

Offlineaxis_tech
Rollin' Stoned

#3911118 - 03/13/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

casing's yield more

--------------------
takes a token' and keeps on smoken'

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: First WBS grow: Progress, and a few ?s.. [Re: axis_tech]
    #3911227 - 03/13/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Casing are the way to go, or at least thats what ive been told/read on the sites.

Im on my first grow right now, although i did it a little larger than others. I think I have somewhere along the lines of 68 jars colonizing in different stages with different types.

Im going to do a grow log but only after everything is done.

Im going to do half cakes half casings, and half those casing are going to be done a lil differently.

Im going to do verm/coco but im also adding in worm castings for additional nutrients, see what that does for me.

If you have enough jars, just do some casing and some cakes, at least that way you can make sure that you get SOMETHING.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates