Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help
    #3907925 - 03/12/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

OK- I am doing this for my first time... I have my jars inoculating right now... and am planning my next step.

I am going to be using trays with the 3 layer method- verm,mycelium,dirt.

I am planning on using a huge cooler, with 6 smaller trays inside of it.... the bottom of the cooler will have water in it filled about half way on the 6 trays to keep the humidity up... for a heat source I am planning on using a fully submersible water heater in the water.......... so, the trays will be in 80 degree water for heat... and the water will help with humidity.

On top of the lid I am planning on using either xmas lights, or some blue led lights for my light source, and I will just turn them on manually before I go to work, and turn them off right when i get back from work........ thats about 11hrs a day.
I will keep the cooler closed at all times, except for when I'm sleeping, so it will have air flow for about 6 or 7 hours a day.

DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK GOOD?
i want to start getting more supplies, and have a hygrometer on the way for inside of it.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts were on it, and do you think the 6 or 7 hours a day with a fully open lid will be enough air flow?

--------------------
www.albinorasta.com - SICK new clothing line!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help [Re: tylerfred]
    #3907942 - 03/12/05 03:29 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Hi

Not a terrific idea with the water. 1) It won't provide adequate humidity and 2) a stagnant pool of water is a breeding ground for mold.

"verm,mycelium,dirt." Dirt? What do you mean by this?

Leaving your lid off for 7 hours at a time will most definitely dry things out. You'd be better off leaving the water out, fanning every opportunity you get, and rely on mistings/perlite (perlite purely optional for casings) for humidity.

Your setup will 1) starve the casings of any air, then 2) dry them out for 7 hours at a time. Not very ideal.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help [Re: Holydiver]
    #3907962 - 03/12/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

ok.... hmmmmm, well- so, do you think maybe a heatbomb in it for a heat source, and then leaving the lid just cracked a tiny bit for airflow would be a better idea??

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3907986 - 03/12/05 03:39 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

That would work as a heatsource. Cracking the lid will work. Try to fan several times a day also.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help [Re: Holydiver]
    #3908002 - 03/12/05 03:43 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

ok... and by the dirt- I was going to use the 'shroom wizards' guide, but want to get more advanced off it.... like, making a nice chamber...

but, it says for trays make a bottom layer of half verm, half potting.... then your substrate- then a thin layer of potting soil

isnt that what your supposed to do with growing that way out of trays?... or are there better methods.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3908029 - 03/12/05 03:52 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I'm new around here, but from what I've read, I would steer clear of the shroom wizard's TEK. Check the TEK's on this website. That , and the knowledgable people on here will get you going in the right direction. Good Luck.Peace,Love,Happiness and Happiness. :heart:Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help [Re: HippieChick]
    #3908042 - 03/12/05 03:58 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

i've heard that a lot too, but even with my lack of knowledge all I really see wrong with it is that it has no mention what so ever with heat, or humidity..... it makes it seem like they would just grow in a uncovered box sitting on a shelf getting watered like a plant once a day... but the general idea of the guide seems good.........?

--------------------

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
    #3908056 - 03/12/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Ok, here goes.

Incubating, you want warm temps, but humidity is NOT A FACTOR AT ALL.
A TiT (Do a search) is a really good way to go.
When you are in the fruiting stage you want humidity, but stagnant water is not a good way to go. PM me and i will try to explain more to you.

Good luck.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: My Plan For a Setup- Concerns/ideas?... please help [Re: Photoguy]
    #3909675 - 03/12/05 10:41 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Yeah, you had better just toss that tek out the window. I have never read it and don't plan to. First of all, you don't want to use potting soil since it contains edible nutrients which can lead to contams. You also don't want to water it directly. Nor do you want ot leave it out in the open.

Read as much as you can on this website. The teks and also the posts. Will get you more info.

The "3 layer method" is a way of talking about casing. And you have your jars incubating, not innoculating right now. Innoculating is just putting the spores in them.

If you are growing in PFTek type jars (ie brown rice flour and vermiculite) then they are incubating right now. Keep them around 80-84ish degrees. Humidity is not a factor. If you have the layer of verm on top then it is safe to have an air hole or a loosened lid to provide air exchange. When they are completely colonized (completely white) you can move on to birthing them.

Since this is your first grow and you haven't read too much yet, I would advise birthing the cakes by themselves and not worrying about casing yet. When you birth a cake you want the temp to be around room temp, roughly 70 degrees. Not 80.

If you just want to birth the cakes, simply wait until they are completely covered with myc. You can wait until a couple pins start showing or not, doesn't matter. I prefer not to. Take the cakes out of the jars and dunk them over night. Basically, put the cakes in a bucket/pot and cover with water. Put it in the refrigerator over night. Take it out, let the cakes drip dry (you can also pat with paper towels). Then put the cakes in a fruiting chamber.

If you are going to use a cooler and just use plain cakes, get some perlite from a store. Walmart and all gardening stores have it. Wet it with water and hydrogen peroxide (keeps mold away). Put it in the bottom. Put a piece of foil under each cake (or use the lids of the jars). Air it out 3-4 times a day, just fan it. You will need to spray inside the cooler (not on the cakes) with water everyday to keep the humidity up. Cakes will fruit soon. If you want you can dunk the cake after each flush.

If you really want ot case your cakes it will increase yield but is more difficult. You will need to read more about it. Basically, if you want ot do it in a tray. Put some damp verm (sterilized in a PC or microwave) in the bottom. Birth your fully colonized cakes into a plastic baggy. Crush up the cake with your fingers keeping it inside the baggy. Dump it on top of the verm. Then you can cover with either 100% verm or 50/50 verm and coco coir (can buy it at a pet store, called bed a beast). The humidity doesn't have to be as high so if you put them ontop of some perlite then you should be perfectly fine. Just air it out several times a day. Just cracking a lid isn't enough air exchange, no air flow because CO2 stays at the bottom.

Do a search about casing and read. Anymore questions ask or PM me. I am more than willing to answer.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds