Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLethalX5
Male

10ml vials
    #3906780 - 03/12/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Would those small 10ml vials with the slefhealing injection cap be good for a Liquid Myc. Like mix up some Karo then inject it into each vial then sterilize and inject spores? or would there not be enough gas exchange. And also would it be better to keep prints or inject them into the vacuum vials?

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: 10ml vials [Re: LethalX5]
    #3906873 - 03/12/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You know, ive never thought of those vials. I think it would work freakin great man. I dont think gas exchange would be that much of an issue when trying to grow myc. for a myc. syringe.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

OfflineLethalX5
Male

Re: 10ml vials [Re: Edge]
    #3906954 - 03/12/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wanna split a case with me  :thumbup:

hit me up with a pm if you do.  i am outta here for now though.

lata

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

Offlinereaderror
PurpleHaze

#3907003 - 03/12/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Why not make a Karo solution and mix it into a syringe with about .5-1cc of spore solution, then cap the syringe and throw into and incubator, it would isolate any contams to 1 paticular syringe...Just an idea...

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
    #3907245 - 03/12/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm broker than a horse with broken legs friend, otherwise i would def go halves on it.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3907273 - 03/12/05 03:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You would be better off using the selfhealing injection ports from those 10 cc vials on plastic lids.

air exchange is important when growing mycelium.

you could store your mycelium in the vacutainers in sterile water...this will last for over a decade...if put into the frig.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: 10ml vials [Re: Edge]
    #3907411 - 03/12/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

you cant do the culture inside a syringe or else it will form a large mass that you cant push through the needle. a 10 ml vial is good but you can only get about 4 ml of solution in there, since you cannot fill the vial too high. You surely wont be looking at a 10ml syringe from each. Buy 30ml if thats what you want. i like doing a third of the volume. This way you dont get boil overs and nutritious solutions on the threads. You also have 2/3 of the space for air. The thing is its not enough to have air in the container since the myc will be in the liquid. Shake the cultures once or twice a day to dissolve air through the liquid. Otherwise, you end up with a small ball of dead (suffocated) myc floating in there.

The vials themselves are fine. I have Labco vials with a self healing rubber patch. Its actually kind of like a mason jar lid system, where a piece of rubber is the lid and the threaded plastic is like the ring. This is good bc screwing it down tight you know you have a good seal bc of the rubber. Ive read that many culture vials are not preferable bc you cannot assure a good seal, though all of my labware has some kind of sealing system. It has been recommended to use polyfil or the like to plug the top. This way you always have a filtered airway. This isnt practical for vials though bc getting air in the liquid would require shaking it all over the polyfil. Its great for erlenmeyer flasks though, where you can stir quite well by just holding the neck and moving your wrist in a circular motion to forcefully swish it around and get air through it, but not get liquid up to where the filter is. You can, of course, 'noc or draw up solution through the polyfil or along the sides by just pulling it away a bit.

I recommend a good sized erlenmeyer flask with polyfil stuffed into the neck. It is a superior tek, easier, more convenient, and just all around better. AFOAF did it recently and it was quite excellent.

sure theres 20 syringes worth of liquid culture in there at once and contam wouldnt be isolated like doing 20 vials, but if you dont fuck up theres no problem. Its easier to fuck up with the vials than the flasks anyways.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
    #3908819 - 03/12/05 09:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Don't go and buy them right away. They are color coded with all kinds of goodies to kill your sopres. and the ones without chems are silicone coated on the inside. Foaf bought 500 of these and later learned about the coating deal. He washed and PC'd them and they work fine for him. Yes the caps are great for an innoc cap. To save you some time and research the "red" caps are the one without aditives but still silicone coated. Oh yeah "all" red, they also have red/yellow for urine samples. I have also seen 15 ml sizes for the 10ml + air. is anyone wanting a few of these to use, my friend still has 400+ of these tubes with the purple caps which have ETDA in them. And I am sure he will give some up for trade or sale.

--------------------
All above posts are purely fictional and for amusement purposes only... Have A Nice Day! :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation