Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

U.S. targets Canadian pot
    #3906581 - 03/12/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

U.S. drug czar targets Canadian pot
March 11, 2005
canada.com

WASHINGTON - The number of American teenagers and adults ending up in emergency wards or seeking treatment because of marijuana use has soared in recent years and seems linked to "dramatically" growing imports of high-potency Canadian canabis, the White House drug czar said yesterday.

John Walters estimated the industry is also funnelling "billions" of dollars into the pockets of organized crime north of the border and said Canadian prosecutors tell him they need tougher laws to combat the marijuana-growing bonanza.

"It has grown dramatically," he said of the northern marijuana trade. "The question that is always on our side of the border, and on theirs, when these problems arise is: 'How many more people will suffer until we are able to change the trend line?' "

The elevated THC content -- the intoxicating ingredient -- of Canadian marijuana means it can no longer be considered a soft drug, argued Mr. Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

His concerns, voiced at a news conference, reflect a growing anxiety among some politicians and government officials in the United States about Canada, a country not traditionally viewed as a major supplier of drugs.

The export of Ecstasy pills made in Canadian labs and of the chemical ingredients of illicit narcotics, like methamphetamine, have also caught the attention of the Americans, as underlined in a State Department report issued last week.

But yesterday Mr. Walters focused on the marijuana problem and how, he contends, it is affecting young people in the United States.

The number of Americans admitted to hospital emergency wards because of marijuana use has doubled to 120,000 annually in the last five years, he said. Meanwhile, the number of teenagers seeking treatment for marijuana dependency has grown to the point where it is more than for all other drugs combined, including alcohol.

The phenomenon has paralleled a growing potency of marijuana available in the North America, from that containing 1% to 2% THC less than a decade ago, to between 8% and 9% and, in some cases, 20% or more in recent years, he said.

Other countries, like Mexico, also supply such high-powered marijuana, Mr. Walters acknowledged.

"But the big new factor on the scene is ... the enormous growth of very-high-potency marijuana coming from Canada."

He said most people, especially those who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, view marijuana as a soft drug that does not warrant much concern. But the higher potency means that one in five pot-smoking Americans age 12 to 17 progress to needing treatment or "intervention" for marijuana abuse.

Mr. Walters praised the co-operation that American authorities have had from Canadian police, especially the RCMP, which he described as "one of the finest police organizations in the world."

But he said prosecutors have told him that the current Criminal Code penalties are not stiff enough to deter marijuana-cultivation criminals and "without the ability to use more extensive enforcement pressure, they're concerned about how this will continue to grow."

Denise Rudnicki, a spokesman for federal Justice Minister Irwin Cotler, noted that new legislation before Parliament that would de-criminalize simple possession of marijuana would also double maximum penalties for those running marijuana growing operations to 14 years from seven.

Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan has said that judges need to get tougher on those behind marijuana-growing, and suggested that the marijuana bill could be further strengthened.

A spokesman for the Canadian Embassy in Washington said yesterday that Canadian marijuana still accounts for only 1% to 2% of the product sold in the United States., while Canada imports most of its cocaine from the United States.

--------------------
"When even one American who has done nothing wrong is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril." - President Harry S. Truman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: veggie]
    #3906798 - 03/12/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

what a joke. Anxiety in teens has risen, not because of the huge amount of social pressures of this world to look like brittany spears and what not, but its that devil beaster herb canada is flooding the market with.

Number one drug teenagers seeking treatment for.... aka thier parents busted em and making em go to stupid weed counselors clinics that scare you into thinking marijuana is evil.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: baraka]
    #3906903 - 03/12/05 01:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, they mislead you into thinking that it's a menace to society because it brings in the most teens for treatment. Just like you said, baraka, it's becuase of their parents when they bust them or the police. You either go to treatment and get charges dropped/reduced, or you can take the full force of the ass-rapage we call "justice".

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: DNKYD]
    #3906979 - 03/12/05 02:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

As I said in the Walters wants joint action from Canada topic...

OH GOD SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!@$@$!$@$@  By legalizing and regulating it for adults only :stoned:

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: delta9]
    #3907265 - 03/12/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If it was legal I'd grow my own. And thats one of the things the government is scared about. It's so damn easy to grow a whole hell of a lot, that regulating it may seem like an impossible task.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: DNKYD]
    #3907400 - 03/12/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Then why are the dispensiaries in the west doing so much business, even though 90% of their patients can grow if they want?

--------------------
delta9

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #3908092 - 03/12/05 06:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

.... The number of American teenagers and adults ending up in emergency wards or seeking treatment because of marijuana use has soared in recent years ...

The fact that any mention of marijuana, at all, while you are at the emergency room, immediately marks your case as a marijuana incident, could have some bearing on why we are having so many of them.

I mean, I could break my toe moving furniture and jokingly say that when I get home, I'm just going to sit back with a joint and relax with my feet up, and I'm automatically entered in as a statistic. It wouldn't matter that I haven't touched the stuff in over six months.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3908974 - 03/12/05 09:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

americans dont go to the hospital for broken arms let along pot. costs too much, i believe the numbers are blatant lies, straight up.
the drug czar is trying to legitimize his position by seeking a tengeble common enemy. having failed winning a war against his own people, he sees in his wisdom to target another country using the suffering he bestowed upon his own goddamned people to make them martyrs for a causethat does nothing more than line his own pockets with a self-generating revenue, a government and church sponsored franchise of lies.

no doubt he will do what it takes to perpetuate a bestial status quo of cultural subjigation. I mean tobbacco for christs sake. why?

these men in power, they would never meet at a public forum where their ideals might be questioned. they are a shadowy elite immured in a circle of influence. seeing opposition as a dismissable collateral loss outweighed by the fact that they can retard it's potency with neoterror tactics, threat of imprisonment and therefore ritual rape. automatic social sanctions limiting opportunity to succeed in a class of already repressed serfitude.
augmented by a socially expected and acceptable brainwashing routine administered in childhood to make us supportive of the same regeime that will one day oppress us.

there is no democracy, it is long dead, defeated by the aristocratical force that it was created not to destroy, but keep in check. the check is gone, the watchtower in ruins and made hostile.

can anyone think of a way to organize people? does anyone have the courage to activate?
peaceful protest is not enough. it is the primary lie of the ruling class, that peace is the key, it is a force used only as a tool to keep us complacant. we need real, radical agenda. forward motion, new direction. the more we focus on reforming the powers that be, the more we reinforce their position, cement their authority. they need to be removed. replaced by a new syndicate, one of open forum, responsible governing. a government that governs the things that NEED governing and not wasting resources on itself to the cost of its people and the expence of lives.

the most peaceful way i can think of is to mobilize a political movement, perhaps right now, and perhaps right here. except no perhaps.

passopnate organizing, unilateral agenda, it will take years and mobilization against government efforts to misleed people, direct action against the lies. untill support is significant and the opposition it represents becomes a real force, when enough patriots have passed on in life and the system of truth has touched enough new minds, then the real power to make change can begin. all i think it takes is you, me, and evryone who loves truth, and freedom, not the freedom they tell you to love. the freedom to love what you want withought fear of them punishing you.

enemies? well, i would say that its safe to consider violent criminals (on both sides) to be counter-productive.
personal ambition
religous right (which is neither)
nationalism
large-scale corperation
poverty
inaction
racism (which comes from ALL races)
addiction
ignorance

theres a whole world out there that needs reform. not just the pot laws. theres natural rescources, widespread overindulgence, hatred, etc.

if no one else will stand for such a radical change i will, by myself if need be, and having no other recognition, be triumphant in the knowlage that in my own mind, in my heart, i am FREE.

--------------------

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: Mitchnast]
    #3910057 - 03/13/05 02:22 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

can anybody get data on thc content of hash?

i bet it would be way higher than these numbers...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3910063 - 03/13/05 02:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

all hash is not created equal

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: Mitchnast]
    #3910386 - 03/13/05 04:52 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It is generally from upper 20s through the 30s for most lower grade hash. Good full melt bubble is in the upper 50s. But indeed, all hash is not created equal - by any means.

--------------------
delta9

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3910724 - 03/13/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The answer is obvious. BAN EVERYTHING.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: blink]
    #3911012 - 03/13/05 12:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
The answer is obvious.  BAN EVERYTHING.

Even broccoli!?!?  :shocked:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: dblaney]
    #3916976 - 03/14/05 05:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:
Quote:

blinkidiot said:
The answer is obvious.  BAN EVERYTHING.

Even broccoli!?!?  :shocked:

Especially broccoli.  Didn't you hear...plugging your ass with the stems gives you SUCH a buzz!!

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: U.S. targets Canadian pot [Re: MOTH]
    #3917843 - 03/14/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Lol, I'll definitely try it someday.

It'll go right below snacking on pebbles on my to-do list. :muppet:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service