Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Why peat moss?
    #3899953 - 03/10/05 08:36 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

What is the purpose of using peat moss in a casing? It says on the bag it's to help loosen soil and hold moisture, but vermiculite does that too, so why the need for peat moss? Also, doesn't peat have a lot of organic material in it? If it does, wouldn't that be an invitation for contams to set in? I'm not doubting its quality as a casing layer, if it sucked and wasn't necessary it wouldn't be used. I just want to understand it better. Thanks for any input on this.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why peat moss? [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3900118 - 03/10/05 09:10 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

vermiculite alone gets pretty dense when moistened, the peat just helps to lighten it up a bit

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Why peat moss? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3900503 - 03/10/05 10:36 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Makes sense. Now what about the fact that it's loaded with organic material? Doesn't that mean it's full of nutrients and would be a great place for contamination to set in?

--------------------
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3900516 - 03/10/05 10:39 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

there is a minimal amount of nutrition, mold can do well on it which is why you need to sterilize it first, other than that, it's a good product to use, another option is to use coco coir, one brand name is bed a beast, found in pet stores

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why peat moss? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3901759 - 03/11/05 09:30 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Coir also has minimal nutes though, so dont think that will change it. The nutes are really minimal though and dont matter so much as long as you change the pH and sterilize well.

The raising of the pH with either peat or coir by use of calcium carbonate and hydrated lime keeps the pH at a neutral 7, making it hard for green to grow (likes a more acidic environment) but easier for mushies to grow.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Why peat moss? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3904855 - 03/11/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Do either of you guys test the Ph of your casing mixture before applying it to your shrooms or after flushes or anything? I think it would be nice to know what I'm laying on top of my substrate, but if the experts don't bother then I won't either.

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3904869 - 03/11/05 08:50 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

It's quick and easy to test your casing layer with some pH strips. I'd recommend it.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

Re: Why peat moss? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3905240 - 03/11/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Hey Diver, around where should the pH of the casing be (to maximize growth and minimize contamination risk)? Would a pH of ~7.5 be acceptable? Thanks! :thumbup:

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Why peat moss? [Re: korins]
    #3905246 - 03/11/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

7.5 to about 8.0 is a very good start. you want it slightly alkaline to buffer against acid secretion from the mycelium. Contams like acidic environments.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why peat moss? [Re: korins]
    #3905250 - 03/11/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah, that's perfect. Ideal pH range is 6.5-8.0

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Why peat moss? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3905282 - 03/11/05 10:55 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

I've got some Ph strips, but how do you test soil with them? Don't they have to be immersed in liquid to work properly? Also, the strips I have only measue whole numbers, like 6, 7 and such. How would I measure between those numbers?

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3905290 - 03/11/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

squeeze out a single excess drop of water, all it takes is one small drop of water for the strips to work. Your strips will give you a close range, but if you want to be exact you'd need strips with a smaller interval. They will get you close enough to where you need to be. Shoot for a color between 7 and 8.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

#3905330 - 03/11/05 11:07 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Thanks guys! Also, if you're casing has the correct moisture content, you should gently be able to insert the strip and wait a few minutes for some liquid to be absorbed by the strip.  This is at least true with my roll of litmus paper...:shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag