Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehankfu
bornlever-puller

Loc: Restaurant @ End of Unive...
Two lonely pins, one crappy method, what do i do know? (pics)
    #3904053 - 03/11/05 04:51 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

So I started my adventure in mycelial developement about two months ago now and was unfortunate enough to select the "shroom wizard's grow guide" as my tech of choice (:thumbdown:). At the time I found the shroomery to be confusing and the wizard's tech to be pleasingly simple and easy. I have since come to the realization that simple + easy = shitty yields + wasted effort. Anywho, I've since traded up to a PMP with double end cased and dunked cakes (back to basics).

But none-the-less I now have three cases sitting around which are non-optimal at best. They're cased with a 50/50 verm/potting soil mix on the bottom and straight potting soil on top (not peat moss or anything like that, just straight-up sterilized potting soil w/o any additives or shit like that). Here's a pic of the three cases:

So first off I think I let them incubate or whatever (kick it with their tops on in the dark) for too long (about 7 days). Also I don't think that the casing method/materials were so good at all. So far I haven't had them in a terrarium, I've just been misting them about 1-4 times a day as needed to keep the surface not-dry (the RH in my house is around 70%).

Yesterday I saw the first pinhead in one of the cases, today it appears that there are two, but that's it and they're both near the sides. I think it might be overlay but the mycelium peeking out still looks fluffy and not matted at all. (I know I probably should have spot-covered the mycelium peeking up, but I didn't know that when I uncovered the cases).

This is a pic of the case that's pinning and a closeup of the section with the pinheads:

And here is larger pic of one of the other cases that's not pinning yet:

Oh yeah, all three cases are ecuador strain and the room temp is around 69-75.

So basically my questions are: Are these cases overlaid? and what should I do now? I've accepted that these cases are pretty fucked up but I'd still like to get at least some good prints or something out of them, and hopefully as many of our little fungal friends as possible. Do I do something now or wait till after my first flush, etc.... any suggestiongs?  :grin:

--------------------
You are sleeping with your eyes open.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Two lonely pins, one crappy method, what do i do know? (pics) [Re: hankfu]
    #3904101 - 03/11/05 05:03 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them with the exception they are WAY too dry. Mist them pretty heavy. Don't be affraid, Just don't mist them to the point water is standing on them. Then cover all 3 casings with wax paper. Kick back and watch the fun begin.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Two lonely pins, one crappy method, what do i do know? (pics) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3904131 - 03/11/05 05:10 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

them bitches is fucking dry

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Two lonely pins, one crappy method, what do i do know? (pics) [Re: derx]
    #3904134 - 03/11/05 05:12 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Duuuuuuuuuuude! Love your avatar! lol

InvisibleThe One
Mr Shroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #3904207 - 03/11/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

mushrooms growing just on the side = a very dry casing.  It's sad to see :frown:

--------------------

Trade List

Offlinehankfu
bornlever-puller

#3904252 - 03/11/05 05:42 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Duuuuuuuuuuude! Love your avatar! lol

:grin: Quit bein a bitch and pill me up!

Quote:

Mist them pretty heavy. Don't be affraid, Just don't mist them to the point water is standing on them.

Cool.. yeah, I've been afraid to overwater cuz I read too much about overlay :tongue:.... oops. I'll be sure to water them a lot more then.

Quote:

Then cover all 3 casings with wax paper.

Won't that mess up the air exchange? Or should I poke some holes in them or somethin?

BTW... thanx for the tips guys.

--------------------

Edited by hankfu (03/11/05 06:22 PM)

Offlineaxis_tech
Rollin' Stoned

#3904384 - 03/11/05 06:24 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

you could try fanning them a couple of times a day for air exchange. dont think poking holes ontop of that would hurt anything

--------------------
takes a token' and keeps on smoken'

Offlinehankfu
bornlever-puller

Re: Two lonely pins, one crappy method, what do i do know? (pics) [Re: axis_tech]
    #3904504 - 03/11/05 06:52 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Oh yeah... another question. Do I keep misting after the cases start pinning (keeping in mind that they are not in a terrarium)? I read that after the pins show up the mycelium already has enough moisture to finish the job. Or does that only apply if they're in like 95% humidity?

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3904553 - 03/11/05 07:08 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

IMO you should stop misting once pinheads form. in your position, however, i would continue misting because that really dry casing layer is going to fuck you more than misting would.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag