Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa area
Failed shot glass experiment (pics)
    #3902647 - 03/11/05 02:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

as i was preparing my last batch of around 16 8oz cakes, i wondered what would happen if i tried preparing a 2oz shot glass as a novelty/curiosity. i figured the mycelium would fill the jar much quicker than a traditional 8oz jar and was interested to see how large the fruits would be. 2 shot glasses were prepared in the same manner as i've always prepared 8oz canning jars.

disapointment #1: the jar ended up 100% colonizing only slightly quicker than the other 8oz jars i prepared at the same time. i'm not sure exactly why this happened, but this method sure isnt a time short-cut if you need shrooms in less time than the tradional method.

disappointment #2: not only have the yet to produce any fruits while other 8oz cakes from the same batch are already on their 2nd flushes, but they both got contaminated! i've never had contamination problems before and i've gone through 4 or 5 cake-batches by now. i have no idea how they got singled out to be contaminated; i had a sufficient dry verm cover over the wet verm mix. the pictures are below, both have a pretty noticeable green fuzz in large parts of the cake (i'm guessing standard mold), and the one of the left has a weird bright orange patch growing as you can see. i havent tried to id them yet here on the shroomery, but i'll do that next.

i'm lead to believe that 2oz of mycelium may not be a big enough network to sustain the growth of mushrooms. i am still confused as why these cakes in particular got contaminated. any thoughts?

--------------------
--Shroomfish

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation