Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator?
    #3899492 - 03/10/05 06:49 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

il be gone for a week. i dont want to burn down my apartment building. its been safe for now. i just dont want to come home to THAT. on the other hand it would be nice to come home to fully colonised jars. what do you guys think?

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGlassOnion
Stranger
Loc: Antartica
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: A0999]
    #3899509 - 03/10/05 06:52 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I say leave it on!
But you didnt give us any info about about what kind of incubator you are using..??
TIT or what

Offlineo0brandnewcolony
PsychedelicEnthusiast
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Upstairs...
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: GlassOnion]
    #3899516 - 03/10/05 06:53 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Leave it on, definantly.

With my set-up I don't have to worry about it anyways, I assume your using TiT, and I can't see that starting a fire.

If you must, stick everything in cardboard box and place on top something warm, such as computer monitor. That would hold you through fine.

--------------------

LSA Extraction Pictorial

Keeping my spirit alive.

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: o0brandnewcolony]
    #3899547 - 03/10/05 06:59 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

yeah its tit. the heater is stuck to the bottom (and kept from touching the bottom) with suction cups, and weighted down with the pipe clamps. the top tub is about 3/4 to 1in. from the heater. the temp inside is about 85 and i think the water is at like 91

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: A0999]
    #3899563 - 03/10/05 07:02 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

What's the outside temp.? (house or w/e the TiT is?)

If the temp. isn't much lower then you wont really have to wry about them slowing down a lot...

If it's cold as fuk, then take them out, water Gets really really cold, :smirk:
Gl

-Gnostic

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3899644 - 03/10/05 07:17 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

so are you saying i should unplug it? in my apartment it gets cold in the mornings and hot while the sun is up. im turning my a/c off while im gone.

--------------------

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

#3901793 - 03/11/05 09:43 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

bump, would just like to get a few more opinions.

--------------------

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
    #3901816 - 03/11/05 09:50 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Im gonna pm you, check your mail.

BTW, leave it going. A submersable fish tank heater is meant to be pluged in 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so dont worry.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3901821 - 03/11/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

As long as you have a good setup, leave it on. For example if it's a heater made specifically for a plastic tank, and you've secured it so it doesn't directly touch the containers then the risk of fire is negligibly small.

In other words, if you did it properly you don't have to worry.

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3901879 - 03/11/05 10:05 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

well it never said anything about a plastic tank. it shows a picture of a fish tank witch i assume is glass. its a brand new whisper 50watt heater from wal-mart. it says its safe and meets some kind of strict standards to detect overheating.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3901907 - 03/11/05 10:11 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

aquariumheaters are used in... aquaria. Aquarium owners go on holiday as well! :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3901993 - 03/11/05 10:26 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

For the record, I incubate ALL jars, whether rye, popcorn, etc., at room temperature. I see no reason for building an incubator in the first place. If the room is comfortable for you to sit in with a t-shirt on, it's warm enough for your mushroom mycelium. Remember, trich and cobweb are favored at higher temps. Mushroom myc will do very well at 70F. The jars may colonize a day or two earlier if you elevate the temp, but contams will also thrive at the higher temperature. Just put your jars on a bookshelf and let normal room temperature do its thing. No reason to keep them in the dark either. That's another myth we need to dispell.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3902019 - 03/11/05 10:30 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Try a little experiment. Put some water into a paper or plastic cup and try and burn the bottom of the cup. With the water there, it wont burn. The same is true for your tubs, as long as the water is there.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3902152 - 03/11/05 10:55 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Rogerrabbit, what the heck are you talking about? Every Tek, all the Fanaticus stuff says that the PRIME temp is 86.1 degress. Why would you say that the 70's is a good temp? Maybe for fruiting, but not for incubation.

I had nothing but slow growth around the 75-79 degree temp range. Bumped it up to 85, and GODDAMN IT EXPLODED!

If its going to get contaminated, its going to get it no matter what the temp. And the longer it takes to grow, the more likely its going to get contaminated.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3902271 - 03/11/05 11:15 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

talking to me huh?

I know all that, and many others too. I just dont like waiting a month. My rye jars are incubating record times now and are 100% in 8 days!

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3902310 - 03/11/05 11:20 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Always assume that the post is talking to whoever I didnt reply to :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3902342 - 03/11/05 11:25 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

yeah yeah. lol

--------------------

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3903586 - 03/11/05 02:56 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Try a little experiment. Put some water into a paper or plastic cup and try and burn the bottom of the cup. With the water there, it wont burn. The same is true for your tubs, as long as the water is there.

It won't burn, BUT... if it melts a small hole in the tub all the water leaks out. Even then it probably won't burn, but you will have a large pool of bleach smelling water.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3903643 - 03/11/05 03:05 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

unplug it, one never knows what may happen and keeping any device
whatsoever on that is electrically operated, anything could happen.

just my 2cents though.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: ohmatic]
    #3903987 - 03/11/05 04:32 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

But the fishes will die then! :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3905399 - 03/11/05 11:33 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Sorry, I should have said, it wont burn or melt...

--------------------

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Going out of town for spring break, should i unplug my incubator? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3905653 - 03/12/05 02:08 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
If it's cold as fuk, then take them out, water Gets really really cold, :smirk:
Gl

-Gnostic

It won't get any colder than room temp, it just takes more energy to change the temp of water than most substances.  :wink:

Just make sure the water's topped off and not going to get too low during the week.  The difference between 70 degree incubation and high 80's is more like two weeks than two days.

Personally, I'd use more than suction cups to seperate the tubs though.  Afoaf uses these galvanized steel pieces bent in a 90 degree angle a contractor friend gave him, I have no idea what they were originally used for, something to do with constructing something.    :grin: :tongue:

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies